[ART] Sketch Archive : Spotlight Perceptor

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
slartibartfast

Sketch Archive : Spotlight Perceptor

Post by slartibartfast »

As the thread title is trying it's best to imply, here is everything I drew concerning the first round of the idw cover competition.
The cover you are to prepare is for the faux comic Spotlight: Perceptor. Perceptor 's robot form is to be the main focus of the cover, with his alt mode as an optional inclusion. Also, Chase and Horri-bull, in either or both modes, must feature on the cover. The setting for the cover is an ocean coastline of Earth.
So let's start by the last page, obviously :

final step before inking. The full story behind my view on the personality of perceptor is dotted around the forum in various threads, so what I tend to do is link to the last post in which I mentioned it, like so : http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... post592440

that way, you can follow the trail up to the top if you want. It's getting a bit long mind. So here's a handy resumé, and the basis of a comic I've been working on for .. over a year or something. I couldn't stop laughing when I first opened the e-mail saying that, out of the hundreds of possible characters, I was to draw the cover for the spotlight I was already planning for...

So we have perceptor, perhaps not the brightest of all of cybertrons' scientists, but certainly one of the most violent, he has survived the conflict so far. Working on the thesis that after such a long time at war, all those who believed in peace hesitated one time too many or didn't watch their back as well as they should have. Only the born killers are left.

So think scientist + killer = jack the ripper, hannibal lecter, dr. josef mengele, etc.

"Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else." and why not the exclusion of ethics ? abduction, torture, vivisection, it's all good in the never-ending search for knowledge. Doesn't stop you from being friendly, all it takes is a little detachment from the world around you. Which perceptor has in spades. Just as long as he doesn't see you as an experiment.

the other 8 pages are in the attached .zip file... you'll have to excuse the bad quality, I'm getting to grips with my brand spanking new scanner and only thought to crank up the resolution for page 9.

:halo: - I might re-scan page 2 though, I like that one.
Attachments
pages.01-08.zip
(429.37 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Carries the idea a lot more effectively with the text. :)

Still don't follow what Horri-Bull's doing...
Clay

Post by Clay »

slartibartfast wrote: So think scientist + killer = jack the ripper, hannibal lecter, dr. josef mengele, etc.

"Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else." and why not the exclusion of ethics ? abduction, torture, vivisection, it's all good in the never-ending search for knowledge. Doesn't stop you from being friendly, all it takes is a little detachment from the world around you. Which perceptor has in spades. Just as long as he doesn't see you as an experiment.
Cool. You make me want to make an Alternator Perceptor now :o
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

I was thinking of playing with the vague parallels between lecters' trademark mask and percys' toy head mold compared to his movie/comic redesign, if that's any food for thought...
Denyer wrote:Still don't follow what Horri-Bull's doing...
"belching noxious clouds of black smoke from his nose"... I might have left a bit too much for the hypothetical colourist.