Binaltech and Alternators Decepticon repaints

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
GluteusMaximusPrime
Protoform

Binaltech and Alternators Decepticon repaints

Post by GluteusMaximusPrime »

It seems that as long as Hasbro/Takara keeps repainting Binaltech/Alternator Autobots into Decepticons, people will continue to buy them. Their unoriginal, lack creativity, and seem to be nothing more than a lazy way of getting the most profit out of what arguably has been the best transformers line yet.
I refuse to purchase Decepticons because of this. Why would I waste money on a Decepticon repaint of an Autobot, like Deadend, only to have that same figure reissued as a re-repaint Autobot, like Sunstreaker?

Some of you may agree, while others may not. Hopefully, this discussion can be civil.
Darth Shrapnel
Protoform

Post by Darth Shrapnel »

1.- They`re remolded, not repainted.

2.- Designing, engineering and producing these molds costs a lot of money; it would be stupid of them not to reuse them.
"Im drowning in footwear!"
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Take a good look at year 1 of the Transformers.

Repaints, reuses, and redone over and over again, yet we love them.

I think the Alt/Binatech line is probably the best series we have seen because they are scale models of real cars, and transformed, the characters are very much on focus for who they are supposed to represent.

If you don't like them, don't buy them. I love the line, and have been buying them since they first came out.

Ravage and Shockwave are my favorite Decepticon "repaints".
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by GluteusMaximusPrime
I refuse to purchase Decepticons because of this.
I refuse to purchase anything I don't like. Yay for autonomy.
GluteusMaximusPrime
Protoform

Originally posted by Darth Shrapnel
1.- They`re remolded, not repainted.

2.- Designing, engineering and producing these molds costs a lot of money; it would be stupid of them not to reuse them.

Reusing them is fine, but couldn't they put a little more effort into them, like not using the same head for DeadEnd and Sunstreaker. How about using the head that DeadEnd originally had? Or, using the head that was originally intended for Trailbreaker, and putting it on a Swindle "repaint" or "remold?" I'm all for reusing the molds, but let's have some more creativity for the Decepticons. Please.
GluteusMaximusPrime
Protoform

[quote]Originally posted by Savannahtron

If you don't like them, don't buy them. I love the line, and have been buying them since they first came out.

I've already made it clear that I refuse to buy any Decpeticon Binalternators, but that's not the point here. I think it's possible to critique the line, point out its flaws, while at the same time give it praise for what it does well. I'm merely expressing why I don't like the Decepticon part of the line.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

How about using the head that DeadEnd originally had?
It was a cube.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Reusing them is fine, but couldn't they put a little more effort into them, like not using the same head for DeadEnd and Sunstreaker. How about using the head that DeadEnd originally had? Or, using the head that was originally intended for Trailbreaker, and putting it on a Swindle "repaint" or "remold?" I'm all for reusing the molds, but let's have some more creativity for the Decepticons. Please.
Okay, here's how it goes:

1) Hasbro decide to remold Side Swipe (originally: Tracks) and Hound into Sunstreaker and Trailbreaker.

2) Fans clamor for Decepticon Alternators.

3) Hasbro decide to scrap Sunstreaker and Trailbreaker and decide to repaint them into Decepticons instead. Because this was a last-minute decision, there's no time to change the head sculpt.

4) Fans bitch and clamor for Sunstreaker.

5) Hasbro decide to release Sunstreaker.

What should they do? They can't retroactively change Dead End's head sculpt. Release Sunstreaker as a new mold? I can see fans bitching about that as well, so...
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
GluteusMaximusPrime
Protoform

Originally posted by Nevermore
Okay, here's how it goes:

1) Hasbro decide to remold Side Swipe (originally: Tracks) and Hound into Sunstreaker and Trailbreaker.

2) Fans clamor for Decepticon Alternators.

3) Hasbro decide to scrap Sunstreaker and Trailbreaker and decide to repaint them into Decepticons instead. Because this was a last-minute decision, there's no time to change the head sculpt.

4) Fans bitch and clamor for Sunstreaker.

5) Hasbro decide to release Sunstreaker.

What should they do? They can't retroactively change Dead End's head sculpt. Release Sunstreaker as a new mold? I can see fans bitching about that as well, so...

I didn't know that's the way this whole thing evolved. I wasn't part of the fans who bitched about wanting Decepticons and then Hasbro responded to. I just want some original designs for Decepticons, not Autobot rip-offs. Anyway, how do you know for sure that Hasbro decided to release Decepticon characters based on what complaining fans were saying? If this is true, they could have waited and created Decepticons with more originality. I don't see the rush.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

how do you know for sure that Hasbro decided to release Decepticon characters based on what complaining fans were saying?
By not calling them liars in interviews. See, Hasbro aren't entirely uncommunicative with fans, nor are Takara...

edit:

Hasbro aren't doing the sculpts for Alternators, they're just using Takara's Binaltech moulds with slight alterations. Good guy characters sell well in Japan, so that's where Takara's efforts are mainly directed. That we're getting any 'Cons at all is in large part due to Hasbro wanting to offer something else to the US market.
GluteusMaximusPrime
Protoform

Originally posted by Denyer
By not calling them liars in interviews. See, Hasbro aren't entirely uncommunicative with fans, nor are Takara...

edit:

Hasbro aren't doing the sculpts for Alternators, they're just using Takara's Binaltech moulds with slight alterations. Good guy characters sell well in Japan, so that's where Takara's efforts are mainly directed. That we're getting any 'Cons at all is in large part due to Hasbro wanting to offer something else to the US market.

So I guess, if you're correct, there's no hope for a Decepticon with an original design independent from what some other Autobot has.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's unlikely, anyway. Some people think it's conceivable that a separate line of jets might be one of the ideas on the board... they certainly wouldn't be in the same 1:24 scale.

Thing is, Alternators was only originally intended to be a few licensed car designs. We're well past that initial concept now, and the line doesn't have a great deal of direction. Buyers are almost unanimously cherry-picking favoured designs rather than picking up every release.
DVN
Protoform

Post by DVN »

I usually only go after decepticons as that there are less decepticons than autobots, and I'm kinda a sucker for the underdogs. Additionally, any glitches that may have occured the first time the mold came out as an autobot is usually remedied by the time Hasbro/Takara makes a decepticon using that particular design.
GluteusMaximusPrime
Protoform

Well, hopefully, and this is my guess, hopefully these car/robot/character designs will be used in the upcoming movie. I also hope the fan craze for the movie will inspire the designers to push for more creativity and give us some Decepticon originals damn it. The H2 Hummer idea for Motormaster would be a great start, but there is of course the liscensing issues.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

If the rumors are true, Hasbro already HAVE the Hummer license. Their only problem is that they don't know what to do with it, since a 1:24 scaled Hummer would be too large for the $20 price point.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

As the Ironhide as Red Pickup has gone out the window maybe they could release him as a Humvee, though I dont know if you get red Humvee's or not

If we do get Jets I can see them being remoulded into the Aerialbots. Although Silverbolt would be a problem.

Maybe a Silverbolt/Octane airliner mould at 1:144 but that would probably have fans nashing there teeth too

You can't really complain about differences in head sculpts in the cases of special teams, as mentioned before most of them had cubes for heads and Swindle at least varies differently between Jeep and the Japanese vehicle which he actually is in different media.

Would like to see some Construction Vehicles I wonder if Caterpillar/JCB would give licences and maybe some military vehicles.