Pay no attention to the men behind the curtain

Working area for reviews.

Moderators: Skyquake87, ganon578

Clay

Pay no attention to the men behind the curtain

Post by Clay »

When you do, be sure to click on "edit post," and then click on the "go advanced" option. For some reason, changes made in the "simple" edit mode don't appear in the page source code that I pull the reviews from and into the php template. I do not know why this is.

The more you know...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

That... shouldn't be happening. Which browser are you using and have you tried refreshing the page (F5 or Ctrl-F5) before opening a View Page Source window? Odds are your browser is handing you the copy it originally cached.

Other people's edits shouldn't make any difference... if they do, can you point me at an example to check?

Thanks to whoever did Longview photos.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote:That... shouldn't be happening. Which browser are you using and have you tried refreshing the page (F5 or Ctrl-F5) before opening a View Page Source window? Odds are your browser is handing you the copy it originally cached.
I think that's it: I made this thread at work and put a quick edit in to see if it would show up in the page source, and it didn't. Here at the house, the page source has the edit in it.

Well then: just disregard this thread as I start to refresh pages neurotically. :swirly:

I took the pictures of Longview while I was photographing all the other Real Gears. It's handy that they have their names printed on them, because I can't remember which is which half the time.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

BTW, I've added in lightboxes for review photos, rather than the annoying popup window code.

One thing I did notice flicking back through a few reviews --

-- you've got superfluous closing div tags ( </div> ) at the bottom of some of the review .php files that cause the rest of the page after them to be dropped.

edit: Have added some whitespace around post content in the templates to reduce the likelihood of picking up extra markup.

Also discovered that the vBulletin doesn't like the .js framework used by the lightbox, so that needs to be restricted to site pages.

[memo to self] !event.isRightClick() to address Firefox inconsistency [/memo]
Clay

Post by Clay »

Yeah, the extra </div> comes from the new forum. For whatever reason, the new vB moved the </div> up a line in the page sources, so I've copying an extra one because, for some reason I can't fathom, I haven't changed my php template file :\

For instance, right now I'm thinking about it, but I'm at work while the file is on the computer at home.
These are all fixed now.
BTW, I've added in lightboxes for review photos, rather than the annoying popup window code.
Ooooh, fancy. Can the windows show the filenames of the images? For the reviews that have more than the usual two, I usually name the files something descriptive (like in the Megatron parts review, they're named comparison1, cannon2, telescoping, etc.) to give a hint as to why they're included. It'd be cool if the template could display the filename instead of just "additional image."
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:lightboxes for review photos
WANT. But a bit beyond HTML, I'm guessing...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper wrote:a bit beyond HTML, I'm guessing...
It's quicker to implement with the modular design we've already got here, but nothing drastic.

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/

^ Stick some lines in the <head></head> section of each page, then stick a small bit of code into each <a> tag. You'd just need to get it in place and test it, then do a mass search-and-replace on your pages and upload modified versions.
Clay wrote:I usually name the files something descriptive
It might look a bit awkward where the filenames aren't, but sure. Will capitalise the naming fragments for neatness.

Have changed g2_jolt_boxart.jpg to g2_jolt_extra.jpg
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:It's quicker to implement with the modular design we've already got here, but nothing drastic.

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/

^ Stick some lines in the <head></head> section of each page, then stick a small bit of code into each <a> tag. You'd just need to get it in place and test it, then do a mass search-and-replace on your pages and upload modified versions.
I feel less sad about Brain 17 dying now. Will have a looksie tomorrow... BIG THANKS!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote:It might look a bit awkward where the filenames aren't, but sure. Will capitalise the naming fragments for neatness.
It'll work: most reviews just have the two/three images, and for the ones with extras, I can always rename the files manually (if tediously).

I did a bit of that yesterday anyway: streamlining all the 'tiny' guys with _rg_ and _loc_ for Real Gear and Legends to make the implementation of sub-menus easier (have only done the movie menu so far). If I get really bored, I'll tag everything with a size class.

Erm, are we lumping the Classics 2 with the existing Classics menu? I have the Chevy Swerve courtesy of numbat, and intend to write it up, but haven't decided where to put it. Nevermore puts it in with the old Universe, but I think it fits better with Classics 2/New Universe, if only because it's contemporary.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Clay wrote:are we lumping the Classics 2 with the existing Classics menu?
I would.
Clay wrote:I have the Chevy Swerve courtesy of numbat, and intend to write it up, but haven't decided where to put it. Nevermore puts it in with the old Universe, but I think it fits better with Classics 2/New Universe, if only because it's contemporary.
It isn't a Classics figure is it? [No mainstream release?] Besides, there'll probably be other Universe releases [repaints and the like] that can't be quantified as extensions of the Classics line, so I imagine that category will get a trickle of new entries.

For the movie stuff, suggest putting the subline brackets after the names -- most of the LOC items have other versions of the character available, for instance.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote:It isn't a Classics figure is it? [No mainstream release?] Besides, there'll probably be other Universe releases [repaints and the like] that can't be quantified as extensions of the Classics line, so I imagine that category will get a trickle of new entries.
It's debatable: the new Classics batch are being sold under 'Universe,' but the 'old' Universe line never had any new molds. Then again, I already named the pictures uni_, so it might as well go in the old menu.
For the movie stuff, suggest putting the subline brackets after the names -- most of the LOC items have other versions of the character available, for instance.
I know, but I wanted to group them all together. Also (and this is "big picture," mind), if I do go through the sql database and tag everything appropriately, it'll automatically group everything according to size class, which would render more neatly-organized menus. Then, at some undetermined point, the option to browse toys from different lines in the same size class could be added easily.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Clay wrote:Then, at some undetermined point, the option to browse toys from different lines in the same size class could be added easily.
But we can do that regardless of whether the strings searched for are at the beginning or end of the titles (or can do it from the filenames)...

I think fewer people are aware of what the different size classes are called than know that, say, there've been several versions of Jazz.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote:But we can do that regardless of whether the strings searched for are at the beginning or end of the titles (or can do it from the filenames)...

I think fewer people are aware of what the different size classes are called than know that, say, there've been several versions of Jazz.
Hmm. I still like my idea better, but I do see a problem after sketching both styles out:

My organization =
(Real Gear) Booster x10
(Real Gear) Longview
(Real Gear) Meantime
(Deluxe) Brawl
(Deluxe) Jazz
(Voyager) Blackout
(Voyager) Optimus Prime
(Voyager) Ratchet
(Leader) Brawl
(Leader) Megatron
(Leader) Optimus Prime
Your organization=
Blackout (Voyager)
Booster x10 (Real Gear)
Brawl (Deluxe)
Brawl (Leader)
Jazz (Deluxe)
Longview (Real Gear)
Meantime (Real Gear)
Megatron (Leader)
Optimus Prime (Leader)
Optimus Prime (Voyager)
Ratchet (Voyager)
Can you see it? It's not going to group size classes by increasing size, but rather alphabetically. So, instead of

Real Gear / Deluxe / Voyager / Leader

It'll be

Deluxe / Leader / Real Gear / Voyager

Well, that settles that, then :(
Clay

Post by Clay »

Did you change where the </div> tag falls in the page source? If so, I need to change my template back...

Quick spot check on two different pages shows this:
<b>Overall:</b> 6 – Prime’s neither here nor there – a curiosity. The Starscream repaint is a different kettle of fish. The new colours work remarkably well, and strongly suggest Skywarp. It’s a must-buy if you don’t own the first version of LOC Movie Starscream. You’ll be after Starwarp even if you do own the original release. Trouble is – is it worth paying out for Optimus Magnus as well? I guess that’s up to each and every individual. For me, Starwarp makes a great addition to my collection of wee Transformers. Optimus Magnus’s future hangs in the balance…

<!-- / message --></div>

It's separated from the rest of the text by several lines, so it didn't copy for the two reviews I put up today.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Clay wrote:Did you change where the </div> tag falls in the page source?
Yes, to stop [well, reduce the odds of] you copying a stray closing tag.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Then I need to change my template back!

Oh, I need to keep on my toes around you, mister!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Genuine question for the viewers at home: what do you think about the idea of including size/price class with the review database? Worth the bother for any potential search function down the road, or if it ain't broke, don't fix it?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I figure it's worth including for more recent lines that have one. Might even be worth tagging things like (cassette) (minibot) for older lines. It's secondary information, though, whereas sorting by name enables most people to get directly to what they want.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Yeah, I think for most size classes, it's worth including after the name (I may adjust the way the Real Gears display). But for the LOCs, I think it's worth tagging them in front so that they're grouped away from the rest of the index, mostly because it's an entire class of toys that are smaller versions of other toys. It helps me keep track of which ones have been covered, at least.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Clay wrote:It helps me keep track of which ones have been covered, at least.
Most.

;)

Seriously, I think that's a good idea.

I'm often looking at reviews of particular size classes, although I do normally know the name as well. But there are times...

Heck, LOCs are almost a line themselves, considering the series numbers are continuous through Cybertron / Classics / Movie.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.