Porsche Alternators

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Addl
Protoform

Porsche Alternators

Post by Addl »

In answering NEvermore, maybe someone else finds this interesting.

Finally I came around and called the licence department while being at work yesterday.

I told about that I wanted to know the trademark policy of our company towars toys, especially the Transformer toyline, as the BInaltech/Alternators are realistic sports cars and if Porsche has had talks with Takare and Hasbro.

The woman I got connected with wanted to know the background of my inquiry, so I told her about collecting sports car models and Transformers and that "we" were asking us if there would be a Porsche Alternator.

She said "No, because I do not want that" and the reason is, becasue Transformers are not worthy carrying the Porsche trademark. They are war machines and the toyline and in no way represent the lifestyle and ideas which Porsche represents.

As sorry as I am that there will be no Porsches, I understand this and was not really astonished.

So, I've done my share.
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Ultimate Weapon

Re: Porsche Alternators

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by Addl

She said "No, because I do not want that" and the reason is, becasue Transformers are not worthy carrying the Porsche trademark. They are war machines and the toyline and in no way represent the lifestyle and ideas which Porsche represents.

And this so beautifully represents the reasoning behind the decision for Porsche Carrera in 1984.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

yeah, I know UW...

different times, different management, political correctness, cosmopolitan, globalisation... and a different person in charge of trademark issues.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I can't say I see how liscensing your car design to be made into a Transforming action figure associates the company with war machines. It IS only a toy.

I'll admit that I'm ignorant as to how seriously people in Germany take their children's toylines.

Though I'm curious as to what lifestyle and ideas Porche is supposed to repreesent...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Never having had any interest in car brands, I'm happy with the design picked for Meister... does it remind anyone of the car in Swordfish or an intermediate-era Batmobile at all?

I don' think the '84 releases were authorised—they weren't sold as licensed replicas, they just got given the basic shape and a handful of details.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Thanks for the effort, Addl. Confirmed bad news is always better than vague rumors. :)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Re: Re: Porsche Alternators

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
And this so beautifully represents the reasoning behind the decision for Porsche Carrera in 1984.

That is, to be honest, assuming Porsche were actually consulted. Copyrights were a different world back then, and at least one company weren't asked whether Diaclone could use one of their cars.
Piranacon
Protoform

Post by Piranacon »

Well it's thier loss. I'm sure other companies would love take advantage of such an oppurtunity, which some already did. :p

It's just a toy. Geez..:rant:
________
[url=http://www.****tube.com/categories/27/masturbation/videos/1]MASTURBATION VID[/url]
Ultimate Weapon

I understand the car mold not being asked but when you use the name Porsche on a product without consultation that is infringement. I believe it to be well known that Hasbro did acquire the name rights for the Porsche decal.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by Hound
Though I'm curious as to what lifestyle and ideas Porche is supposed to repreesent...

That bit struck me as odd too. Who knew car compnaies represented lifestyles?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

You're kidding, right? I'm not 100% on Porsche's, but Ferrari, for example, is all about wealth, exclusivity, class and taste.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
You're kidding, right? I'm not 100% on Porsche's, but Ferrari, for example, is all about wealth, exclusivity, class and taste.

Ah. I always just saw cars as things to get around in; some being prettier (and more expensive) than others.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, to be honest, that's how you see it. We're talking about how the companies see it... And it's mainly sportscar companies that work that way.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
I understand the car mold not being asked but when you use the name Porsche on a product without consultation that is infringement. I believe it to be well known that Hasbro did acquire the name rights for the Porsche decal.

Hmm. They didn't for Mirage, I think... Remember, that was twenty years ago. Different times, different trademark policies...

Since, considering Jazz was licensed, why did the decals have to be changed to "Agent Meister" for the reissue then?

On a similar matter, why don't Takara reissue Bumblebee's tires not say "DUNLOP" anymore?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ligier definitely weren't consulted about Mirage - and some of the Diaclones [or one of the non-Japanese releases thereof] had the word "Ligier" replacing "Citanes" on the sidepod. I'd also wager Takara didn't bother asking for the deformed Minibots.

Sorry, I just can't see them in, what, 1981, phoning up Lamborghini to ask if it's okay if they use the Countach for a toy they never expected to get outside of Japan. About the only stuff I'd think they did ask for would be the Japanese stuff like Datsuns. And like Nevermore says, different times, different laws. I honestly can't imagine someone like Matchbox in the 1980s consulting someone every time they made a diecast car.
Ultimate Weapon

Originally posted by Nevermore
Since, considering Jazz was licensed, why did the decals have to be changed to "Agent Meister" for the reissue then?

Originally posted by Nevermore
Remember, that was twenty years ago. Different times, different trademark policies...
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

You know that was a rhetorical question I asked? :eyebrow:
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

Post by Almighty Galvatron »

Most of the companies involved in this obviously don't see the value of free advertising, or being paid to advertise their brand on a toyline. Nevermind, their loss I guess.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

Originally posted by Hound

a quick link to the brand...

http://content3.us.porsche.com/prod/com ... wearebrand

Although the page is not very informative about the philosoph, the company culture is everywhere... it is among us employees adn at times, when things get hard, we are like a family.
We are a small company compared to others.
What I always found interesting, is that Porsche's lifestyle presented in commercials and their style magazine "Christoherus" is different to the culture and values mentioned above among us employees.
We are fascinated children at times... and value quality and tradition of Porsche.

Porsche lifestyle and ideas on the other hand are that of the dynamic young & old, educated and stylisch person, who is either starting a fascinating career or has finished his life's achievement. Good food, expensive wine, golf, sailing, and a beautiful family.
In the Porsche Exclusive cataloge you can buy everything from a t-shirt, suits, over golf bag, mountain bike, coffee machine to cigarette lighter and key chains in Porsche style.
Squashua
Protoform

Post by Squashua »

Originally posted by Addl
[In the Porsche Exclusive cataloge you can buy everything from a t-shirt, suits, over golf bag, mountain bike, coffee machine to cigarette lighter and key chains in Porsche style. [/B]

So... Porsche promotes lung cancer?

And they won't license for a toy of their car that transforms into a robot and holds a lazer gun, because that promotes war?

Yeah, they're real humanitarians, Porsche.

Yes, I do realize lighters can be used for other things, like lighting stuff on fire that isn't cigarettes...