[1982/2012] Mysterious Cities of Gold (old and new series)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

[1982/2012] Mysterious Cities of Gold (old and new series)

Post by Jetfire »

Saw it at HMV in sutton and grabbed it straight up. Weirdly Amazon are saying it si out in June :wtf:

I think it is my favorite cartoon of the 80's. Brilliant!

EDIT: A review on Amazon are saying it's a HMV exclusive until June. WICKED!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It'll come down after that, most likely. Until it goes out of print, then it'll soar again.

If anyone wants soundtrack music I have both Boub re-orchestration albums released in France... the publisher went bust, and there's no sign of those two discs being put back into circulation.

For people in the US who don't have multi-region players, Fabulous will apparently be putting out a R1 English DVD set this year.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

At least most of it can be found here:

http://www.citesdor.com/musiques/musiques_boub.php3

It had an amazingly good score. I especially love the tune: Adieu Mon Père. It's a wonderful peice fully of lots of beautiful melancholic reflection.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Jetfire wrote:At least most of it can be found here:
It's been a while since I looked, but IIRC they're examples YR put together before CD releases were arranged. For one thing, there're 95 tracks over the two.

The piece people tend to remember is St Elmo's Fire (Le Feu de Saint Elme) which plays when they reach the New World. Can't speak for the rest of the pieces as I don't know them that well / haven't sat down and compared, but the recording of that definitely isn't the same as on the site.

Listen to this side-by-side:

http://rapidshare.com/files/103312510/1 ... e.mp3.html
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Here's a amazing fact- I am the only person of my age to have never seen this , nor even to have heard of it till people started going "Hey, remember them Mysterious Cities of Gold"? a few years ago. I guess that when it was on I was watching the show that was a live action CITV spoof Indiana Jones thing that ended with a pyramid turning out to be a spaceship, as I'm the only bugger in the world that remembers that at all*. I've often thought of watching some MCOG on youtube, but there's no way it could live up to the way people go on about it...

*Though I have regained hope of finding this shows title after I recently fiound out the name of the other big show I watched as a child but no one else, even the people I watched it with, remembers. A show about a housewife becoming a spy by accident and not being able to tell her family as she fights Russians and gets jiggy with her male spy contact, why it was Scarecrow and Mrs King. Why I'm the only person to remember it when it used to be on every bloody week I have no idea (perhaps it was the show on the same time as Mysterious Cites?), but after years of people telling me there was no such show finding a wiki entry that matched and a few clips on youtube was the highlight of the 21st century to date for me. oh yes.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

inflatable dalek wrote:Here's a amazing fact- I am the only person of my age to have never seen this , nor even to have heard of it till people started going "Hey, remember them Mysterious Cities of Gold"? a few years ago.
No you're not the only one. I had never heard of it either, and Denyer actually included the soundtrack on a disc he sent me once full of Doctor Who stuff, which prompted me to google it to find out what it was. Still haven't watched an episode yet though, not out of non-interest, just haven't thought to look for it yet.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Assuming the seller actually follows through (it was very cheap) I've just acquired the series in French... hope it has French subtitles, because I'm none too sharp at parsing other languages when spoken...

Also... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0209814493

^ Wasn't expecting to be around for the end of this, so I asked the seller to name a price if they were willing. They were right to let it run... and it hasn't finished yet... I wonder if the buyers know it's just the vinyl plus mono tracks taken from episode tapes? (The standalone audio masters seem to have been lost/destroyed.)

I think that probably rules out me ever getting one for a reasonable price unless AK reissue it. What with English DVDs and a possible film finally in production, a soundtrack release in this century is looking a bit more likely, though...

http://www.lescitesdor.com/actualite/mco2/mco2.html

http://www.movie-plus.com/projects/movie/gold.html
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Denyer wrote:It'll come down after that, most likely. Until it goes out of print, then it'll soar again.

If anyone wants soundtrack music I have both Boub re-orchestration albums released in France... the publisher went bust, and there's no sign of those two discs being put back into circulation.

For people in the US who don't have multi-region players, Fabulous will apparently be putting out a R1 English DVD set this year.
I just figured music for a cartoon would only bother with short peices didn't realsie they weren't the whole thing. If they are only samples then I'd love to take you up on your offer because the score was unsusally brilliant, well the whole cartoon was in most aspects.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

inflatable dalek wrote:Here's a amazing fact- I am the only person of my age to have never seen this , nor even to have heard of it till people started going "Hey, remember them Mysterious Cities of Gold"? a few years ago. I guess that when it was on I was watching the show that was a live action CITV spoof Indiana Jones thing that ended with a pyramid turning out to be a spaceship, as I'm the only bugger in the world that remembers that at all*. I've often thought of watching some MCOG on youtube, but there's no way it could live up to the way people go on about it...

*Though I have regained hope of finding this shows title after I recently fiound out the name of the other big show I watched as a child but no one else, even the people I watched it with, remembers. A show about a housewife becoming a spy by accident and not being able to tell her family as she fights Russians and gets jiggy with her male spy contact, why it was Scarecrow and Mrs King. Why I'm the only person to remember it when it used to be on every bloody week I have no idea (perhaps it was the show on the same time as Mysterious Cites?), but after years of people telling me there was no such show finding a wiki entry that matched and a few clips on youtube was the highlight of the 21st century to date for me. oh yes.

I remember Mysterious Cities and we were actually talking about it in work a couple of weeks ago but I just noticed this thread.
Those of us of a certain age were in the staff room up to our neck in rose-tintage remembering that there seemed to be a lot of really really good,long running(seemingly never-ending at that age) quest type shows that were all "must-watch" shows from European animation companies like "Around the World with Willy Fogg","Dogtanian and The 3 Muskehounds" and of course Mysterious Cities all on in the early 80s and berating younger staff members who grew up on a diet of Pokemon.
They are doing an MCOG movie BTW in case its not been flagged up in here yet(Im not in this forum much)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myster ... %28film%29

Oh and Dalek I also remember TSAMK because when I was younger I always used to mix up and/or think they were the same person when it came to Bruce Boxleitner and Dirk Benedict and as I loved the A Team I had to watch this as well.(I know that made no sense but I was only 7)
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

That's nothing, for years I was certain it was Harrison Ford in Inner Space.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Jetfire wrote:I just figured music for a cartoon would only bother with short peices didn't realsie they weren't the whole thing. If they are only samples then I'd love to take you up on your offer because the score was unsusally brilliant, well the whole cartoon was in most aspects.
Probably won't finish uploading before I crash; should be able to PM links tomorrow morning.

If anyone's thinking of picking up one of the French 4-disc DVD sets, BTW, they don't seem to include French (or any) subs. Bugger. Have only found subs in Hebrew and Polish online so far...

Still actually very pleasant to listen to, I just don't grok as much.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Denyer wrote:Probably won't finish uploading before I crash; should be able to PM links tomorrow morning.

If anyone's thinking
Cheers :up:

Their just as long as the versions off the site I pointed too (Unless the site changed from a year ago or so I downloaded them), but they sound slightly different.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Having re-watched it (much of it twice) I've decided that it is possibly the cartoon which stands up best from the 80's. Amazing production, music, animation and great characters with a epic story that really spins off in surprising and exciting directions.

Anybody rewatched it recently?
klaasb
Protoform

Can anyone help me with the Mysterious Cities Of Gold Soundtrack?

Post by klaasb »

Hi,

I'm new here and I'm searching for the soundtracks of Mysterious Cities of Gold. There are like 3 or 4 soundtracks released and it's pretty hard to find a decent copy of the songs. I'm looking for the 1988 polygram cd and the 2 cd's from Yannick Rault (Boub) in particular. And also the Animusik/AK Vidéo CD 1998 if anyone has it but not a must. So if anyone has a decent copy of these cd's in mp3 and would be kind enough to upload it to a filesharing site I would be very thankfull.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

PM sent. Sorry, haven't been around to notice things in this subforum in much detail.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

inflatable dalek wrote:....Scarecrow and Mrs King. Why I'm the only person to remember it when it used to be on every bloody week I have no idea (perhaps it was the show on the same time as Mysterious Cites?), but after years of people telling me there was no such show finding a wiki entry that matched and a few clips on youtube was the highlight of the 21st century to date for me. oh yes.
My mom loved Scarecrow and Mrs. King, and I remembered it, so you just weren't talking to the right people. :D As for if it was on when MCOG was, I think Nickelodeon was showing it in the US towards the end of SaMK's initial network run.

The live-action Indiana Jones ripoff sounds interesting, of course, that's also hoping they had good production values.

My 80s show that, at least from talking to my friends, I seem to have imagined completely was Mighty Orbots, which, fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view, only lasted 13 episodes. The animation's nice, really beautiful in spots(especially for an 80s toon about robots), but after watching a couple of episodes for the first time in years, I want to shoot at least 2 of the main characters and reprogram the rest of the bloody Orbots. Let's hear it for the Internet!

Now, if I could just find all of Jason of Star Command on DVD. I can see how many times the poor guy playing the Han Solo rip.... er, main character nearly killed himself going through doors. "What's this? A sealed metal door to a lab that's had some kind of an accident aboard the spaceship I'm on? I'll just smash through it!" SMASH!!! -chunks of thicker than the actor may have been expecting plywood door go flying, actor laying in a daze on the floor of the lab- In some ways, I miss the late 70s...... But then, I was like 4 or 5 when this show was on.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myster ... old#Sequel

Season 2 has already started in France (and if you search "mcog s02" on pastebin you can find fan subs, etc) but will be dubbed into English at some point:

http://vimeo.com/68709614

There's also a Kickstarter for a tie-in game to be translated to English:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438 ... video-game

Only watched a couple of episodes so far as my French isn't good enough to manage entirely without subs, but it's very decent -- also has documentary sections like the original.