MP 08 Grimlock

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

MP 08 Grimlock

Post by Clay »

Thread at TFW

EDIT: Makes sense, though. Grimlock slotted for a summer-ish release and an autumn follow-up with Thundercracker would mirror last year's release schedule, if behind by a month or two. One new mold + one repaint per year? Seems a reasonable rate for such pricey items.
Attachments
grimlock.jpg
grimlock.jpg (57.34 KiB) Viewed 3184 times
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

****, I might end up getting a Masterpiece figure...
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Well from looking at the image above, there isn't really anything else it could be is there? I'm a bit surprised as I didn't think the character was as popular in Japan as it is here. I would have expected Rodimus honestly. I just hope the quality is better than the last two releases, for the amount of cash they cost, the MP series are hardly worth it in my opinion as actual action figures.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Ackula
MP series are hardly worth it in my opinion as actual action figures.

They're not meant to be. They're made to be complex, realistic, and generally snazzy high-end items to look good on display. Making the figures robust enough to suffer children and clumsy adults doesn't really factor into them.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Originally posted by Clay
They're not meant to be. They're made to be complex, realistic, and generally snazzy high-end items to look good on display. Making the figures robust enough to suffer children and clumsy adults doesn't really factor into them.

I do understand all that. You should be able to transform them though, that is after all what they do, transform. My MP Starscream's wing joint had stress marks right out of the box, and I transformed it once, very, very gently. Afterwards the stress marks turned into hairline cracks. I'm fairly certain if I were to transform it one more time, or put too much force on the wing for any reason, the wing would break off. At this point I now have a transformer with no bot mode pretty much. So in my opinion they should be made of finer materials and higher quality for the price they go for.
Clay

Post by Clay »

That's a problem unique to that toy mold, though. Prime and Megatron have no such problems, and I doubt this supposed Grimlock would either.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

People seem to have had more trouble with MP Megs than BT Grimlock...
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

That's a problem unique to that toy mold, though. Prime and Megatron have no such problems, and I doubt this supposed Grimlock would either.

True that MP Prime has never gave me any problems and I've never really heard any reported, but I recall a lot of people reporting problems with MP Megatron as well. So thats what I was basing my knowledge off of when I said I hope the new one is better than the last two releases.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

my MP Op has lasted a loooong time too. He has even dropped off the top of a dresser before and suffered no damage, except to his pride perhaps. I have heard that the slightest drop with MP Megs and he is a goner, as with S.S. too. It's sad when they charge so much, but suffer from cheap materials. I feel like S.S.'s wings should have been metal and not plastic - or at least a higher density plastic!
BlacknRedTed
Protoform

Post by BlacknRedTed »

I bought the american version of starscream and I havent had any trouble with it at all. The wings and everything are OK and I hope they stay that way. I have even dropped him from over 6 feet in the air ( I am 6 foot 6 and I was taking pictures above my head by a good light and when I dropped him I was scared at first, but no damage at all). So if that can survive and with all the stories I hear about the japanese version, I aint buying no imported nothing.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Originally posted by BlacknRedTed
I bought the american version of starscream and I havent had any trouble with it at all. The wings and everything are OK and I hope they stay that way. I have even dropped him from over 6 feet in the air ( I am 6 foot 6 and I was taking pictures above my head by a good light and when I dropped him I was scared at first, but no damage at all). So if that can survive and with all the stories I hear about the japanese version, I aint buying no imported nothing.

The American version is the one I have, and the one that I'm talking about having problems. Seems pretty hit and miss to hear people talk about it.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

WANT NOW PLEASE.

Dammit.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Denyer
****, I might end up getting a Masterpiece figure...

Aye. Definitely want one of those. :up: Wonder if Hasbro'll release him . . . probably not going to wait around to find out.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Springer007
I feel like S.S.'s wings should have been metal and not plastic - or at least a higher density plastic!

This I agree with. Using metal for the high-stress joints that the wings swing on would have prevented breaking entirely. Of course, then the paint would chip.

Can't win for losing...
numbat

Post by numbat »

Originally posted by Ackula:
My MP Starscream's wing joint had stress marks right out of the box, and I transformed it once, very, very gently.

I have the same problem with Movie Voyager Blackout (at the shoulder panels - came out the box with stress marks, and they are getting worse with every transformation...). And he is meant to stand up to play! But, erm, yeah, I'd be upset if an expensive figure looked like and felt like it was gonna break just like that.
Originally posted by Springer007:
I have heard that the slightest drop with MP Megs and he is a goner
My MP Megs and Convoy used to live on top of my filing cabinet (which is the amount of space I have for display in my current home, so is now being occupied by a different rotation... although I have a few wee shelves for small TFs...). Both fell from it on a number of occasions (my wife doesn't like 'em, and ain't so careful - and, in her defense, metal is a bit slippy, and the cabinet will always rock when shutting drawers...). Both survived to tell the tale every time. None have major damage, although Convoy has chipped here and there (came that way, a little, in fact) on his torso, and smoke stacks. Megs has one small chip on an arm, and that's it. My Megs seems to be standing up better, despite the fact he feels a lot more fragile. But he is also lighter, which makes a difference in a fall. But I'm perfectly happy with the quality of both for the prices I paid, and I love the transformations!

(I don't have any version of the MP Screamer mold, although have been mildly tempted by the US release. Still, I think Megs and Convoy will do for me for now. They're nice and hefty, and go well together. I don't imagine Screamer fits so nicely beside them...)

Grimlock would have to offer something fantastic for me to consider him though. I'm happy with G1 and Justitoys WST. With Reprolabels stickers for WST, he's very cartoon accurate, and takes up little room on the shelf. But, good choice for the next MP!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I just can't wait to see a size comparison :3. Poor Unicron and Trypticon will have new enemies of hopefully the same scale :3.
Halfshell

Re: MP 07 is Grimlock?

Post by Halfshell »

EDIT: Makes sense, though. Grimlock slotted for a summer-ish release and an autumn follow-up with Thundercracker would mirror last year's release schedule, if behind by a month or two. One new mold + one repaint per year? Seems a reasonable rate for such pricey items.

You're assuming that the repaint isn't Megaplex...
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

If it isn't horribly expensive when it comes out, I'll get one.

So when do we get Masterpiece Ironhide? There's an automatic(with minor remolding) repaint into Ratchet, as well as an eHobby exclusive Black Ironhide. And Black Ratchet, if they feel like it.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Yeah, just echoing the comments about being ape**** if my $100ish transformer stressed and broke, from just transforming it.
Originally posted by numbat
Grimlock would have to offer something fantastic for me to consider him though. I'm happy with G1 and Justitoys WST. With Reprolabels stickers for WST, he's very cartoon accurate, and takes up little room on the shelf. But, good choice for the next MP!

Well, if it's anything like the other MPs, it'll look a bit less bow-legged than the G1 mold, be more articulate, larger and have a more-detailed transformation. Though, if you want a more modern Grimlock, you should track down Classics Grim. I really like how it turned out. :up:
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Originally posted by Heinrad
If it isn't horribly expensive when it comes out, I'll get one.

So when do we get Masterpiece Ironhide? There's an automatic(with minor remolding) repaint into Ratchet, as well as an eHobby exclusive Black Ironhide. And Black Ratchet, if they feel like it.

I want Masterpiece Ironhide too. And maybe Masterpiece Tracks.(What can I say, I like Tracks!)
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.