What do you collect?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Shield Strike
Protoform

What do you collect?

Post by Shield Strike »

I was just wondering what kind of transformers people collect on here?

Do you see a new line released, such as the movie toys, and decide " wow those look cool! I'm going to collect every movie toy available!" or do you just see a transformer in the shops or the 'net and decide that he/she looks nifty and go and buy it?

Myself, I dont stick to any particular line or type of TF, i'm definately in the latter catergory of just picking up what I like the look of. That's why my display shelf is a mish mash of random G1, Energon, Alternators, Cybertron, Classics and Titaniums.

It would be nice to be able to say, for example, " I have every Classics Transformer", but it would be such an effort to track them all down and the cost would probably be ridiculous. And theres also the fact that there would probably be one or two figures you wouldn't like and just bought for the sake of completing the line.

Anyway, what are you opinions? Or is it just a bit sad to be collecting toys at our age?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I always tend to collect one or two figures from the current mainline just to check how much toy engineering has improved since the previous line.

I mainly collected Binaltech but with the shortcomings of the line there's not really much to collect at the moment.

I've taken an interest in 1/60 transformable airplanes as of lately and that's what I'm striving to collect, more or less. Not exactly affordable, though.

I believe your last question is a bit irrelevant in a toys forum based on a toyline...you're not really going to get a "toys suck why do you collect them" reply ;)
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Shield Strike
Protoform

Post by Shield Strike »

Well yeah, I know no-one is going to say " Collecting toys is sad, you suck!", I was just voicing my opinion that it is in fact a little geeky to collect toys, but what the hey, I earn the money and i'll spend it on whatever I like! :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dr Poth
Protoform

Post by Dr Poth »

Pre-movie characters mainly, along with alternators and random 86 and later characters I like, mainly comic related like Dreadwing.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Hard to say...I buy my TFs for either because they're cool characters or because they're cool toys. If I get both simultaneously, that's naturally awesome.

Nearly my entire collection is from the newer lines; I have only three vintage toys, and even of those three, only one (Blitzwing) is from before the movie. The other two are Weirdwolf and Apeface. Because articulation is of such importance to me, I don't really care for vintage toys, so the "cool character" is the big selling point for me in that regard (Of course, I got these three for very cheap, five euros each and almost complete).
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I used to collect whatever was out, but I've recently decided to focus, mainly, on the more adult stuff.

I've pretty much picked up what I was looking for, with regards to G1 up to Beast Wars (a few odd bits, here or there, in both, that I want, but nothing that I'm really tracking down, per se. More just stuff I would think would be cool to add to my collection), and I have the complete series of RID, and all but Powerlinx Red Alert from Armada. In terms of Alternators, Energon, Cybertron and TFU, I have what I want and I just want one or two more real gear TFs. I managed to snag a huge portion of the Movie (aside from Arcee, I have everything either in-hand or on order) and Classics line (all of the non-exclusive deluxes and voyagers, as well as UM vs Skywarp and the Botcon Exclusive 5-pack and Weirdwolf).

In the future, I plan to collect Classics/TFU figures, movie figures and Botcon Exclusives, when based on Classics molds (due to licensing, the movie stuff is not available, or I'd be totally stoked to get those, as well).
Originally posted by Knightdramon
I believe your last question is a bit irrelevant in a toys forum based on a toyline...you're not really going to get a "toys suck why do you collect them" reply ;)

You'd be surprized at the number of trolls, who pass by, from time to time. Gotta wonder what's sadder: those of us, who collect toys, or those who take the time to register, in order to tell us how sad we are. :p
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

i randomly collect the figures i find cool- i own all the inital release Movie decepticons (they look cool, but suck as toys) and own about twenty others, i have only recently started collecting in earnest, but am hoping for some cool figures when the animated toon comes out, and can't wait for the classics 2.0... i like the classics best.
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I collect dust.

[/TEH WINNZ0R5]

No, seriously. I do.

Toys suck. Who'd collect them? Sad, arrested adolescents, that's who.

You big fat loser. Living in your parents' basement, afraid to venture out into the real world for fear of actually having to interact with real people who may have differing views to you. Yeah, that's it. Sit there scoffing at me, then download the next episode of Timm's Batman and some South Park. You renegade, you. Oh, and don't forget the tortured emo rock.

Wear some black and make sure that your message board signature has some flames in it.

Idiot.

I grab Binaltech and Masterpiece stuff. Though that line of Hero chibi stuff is just adorable beyond belief. Awww... look at the ickle formies... I also have some Classics.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Originally posted by Brendocon

You big fat loser. Living in your parents' basement, afraid to venture out into the real world for fear of actually having to interact with real people who may have differing views to you. Yeah, that's it. Sit there scoffing at me, then download the next episode of Timm's Batman and some South Park. You renegade, you. Oh, and don't forget the tortured emo rock.

1) I'm not fat,

2) My parents don't even HAVE a basement, and

3) What do you mean "afraid to interact with real people who may have differing views to you"? I interact enough with FAKE people who DO have differing views to my own, thank you. :p

Also, I bought my Timm Batman on DVD.

And I really don't like black clothes. I prefer bright colors.

And Black Sabbath.
The_Narrator
Protoform

Post by The_Narrator »

I started collecting as a ARmada fan. I have a few Armada figures. A lot of the bigger ones like Prime and Unicron. I REALLY started getting into it in Energon. I have almost all the main Energon toys. Then I lost interest in the Transformers because Cybertron sucked. Of course I completely ignored ALL the G1 reissues... Then I saw the movie and got back into the swing of collecting. i ahve most of the Movie figures that actually appeared in the film. Just recently I've been tracking down G1. My first G1 figure Galvatron should be arriving shortly!
THE_NARRATOR
holygrail_4
Protoform

Post by holygrail_4 »

After my G1 stuff as a kid, I didn't really get back into collecting until Cybertron. As such, I went all out and currently am only missing one repaint and I have the entire line.

This ended up leading me to Alternators and Binaltech of which is a bit easier to be a completist due to the sporadic nature of the releases. The best part is when the Jap releases matched the US ones so I can display one in bot mode, the other in alt. Looks like one of those convention displays! I'd still love to get a BT Black Convoy but I also have a mortgage to pay... :rolleyes:

As for the movie stuff, I got all the bots that appeared in the movie, but thats it. No FABs, Real Gear or the boatload of other stuff with a TF logo slapped on it.

At the moment I'm really digging the Robot Heroes stuff and have two sets of all of them - one for home and another for work! lol I've also got all the classics in the hope that they'd make some more...

So in answer to the question, I suppose I'm a completist at heart, however I'm also a realist who still needs to pay the bills.
Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

anyone else afraid brendocon will one day be the prime suspect of a mass murder in a goth club?
:headbang:
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

I wish someone would;)
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

noones saying it wouldn't be funny- hey, some of us have the perfect alibi- we could say he was with us- IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY!

actually- it is probably better not to give him any applicable ideas:)
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

I mainly collect whatever I can get a hold of. Money is kind of tight lately, so I take whatever deals I can get.

Speaking of, use the 25FALL code at HasbroToyShop.com! It gives you free standard shipping and 25% off any purchase!
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Maju Garzett
Speaking of, use the 25FALL code at HasbroToyShop.com! It gives you free standard shipping and 25% off any purchase!

This is good code. I got my 7th set of animal minicons for $5.24. My wolf pack is complete, w00t!

/sold the Scrapmetal army, replacing them with smaller/cheaper alternatives
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

For a while, when RiD came out and I was just thinking, "ooh, Transformers in stores!" I tried being a completist and bought everything I found, but my wallet, storage space, and sense of aesthetics soon became tired of that.

In terms of "classic" (i.e. old) toys, I go for characters I like rather than toy quality (because, honestly, c'mon...) and I have little interest for most modern, generic toys. I like the new ones with associations to past characters, like Classics especially, since I haven't watched any shows since Beast Wars.

Of course, with shelves being empty around me except for the odd movie toy (none of which I've like enough to buy, beyond a few Real Gears, and even they have gotten old already).
Hang on to your ego.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I generally collect figures I like based upon how well designed it is and how well the articulation is. I'm not a fan of G1 outside of the nostalgia that it holds for me, and only have a few G1 left over from my childhood, I've sold all the rest.

My collection mainly consists of Cybertron, Classics, Beast Wars, and various other figures from random lines. I have very few Armada or Energon figures however, and don't like very many from that line.

I do collect mainly Starscream figures based on my admiration for his character, and most of my collection is based around Starscream and his other incarnations such as Hellscream.

I don't care very much for the movie figures but I do have some of them, and as far as Alternators go..I love them but have only a few of them because I just recently got into the line and they are a bit costly versus other modern figures.
TatsuChi
Protoform

Post by TatsuChi »

used to have a vast collection of G1 as a kid but lost them due to moves or they ended up broken :(

recently as you can probably tell by my sig have been collecting the Classics line mostly due to them being throw backs to the G1's i know and love... tho sadly not being able to get to the states things like the BotCon & Walmart exclusives may forever be out of my reach an thus my collection never trully complete T-T

other than that im debating on collecting the Titaniums as one of my local shops has just got in a sunstorm which caught my eye while i was adding grimlock & astrotrain to my classics collection tho next stop when i have more cash is classics Jetfire =D
Classics Series Bots To Get
please feel free to contact me if you can help with any of these

Voyager Optimus
Deluxe Optimus (in blister form)
BotCon Box Set - ( well i can dream =P )
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I mainly go for Decepticons - 'natch - and like to pick up any Seekers when I can, money being a factor in the 'when' bit. I do have plenty Starscreams, but you've probably guessed that, too.

My taste in TFs is a bit like my musical one: I'm eclectic. If I like it, I'll buy it, or at least crave to possess it. I have G1s and right through to Cybertron (the 'toon is questionable, but some of the toys are cool) and the new movie. Special pieces like the 20th OP and Masterpiece Starscream sit untouched in their boxes where the drool cannot harm them and, frankly, because I currently have nowhere to display them properly without annoying the Beloved... One of my weaknesses is the non-transformable, posable character figures, of which I have plenty around the computer and on display, and am trying to complete specific runs without a massive outlay.

NB. I wear a lot of black. Often with purple, and silver jewellery. This does not mean I'm a goth, Brend, and a lot of people get kinda edgy round me at this time of the year... ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]