G1 Names: Wreck-Gar?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
The Reverend

G1 Names: Wreck-Gar?

Post by The Reverend »

I always found it interesting that the G1 Transformers appeared to have been given a fair amount of thought in their naming - usually related to their particular abilities, personalities, etc. Especially in the early years (later on, I think they just named the Micromasters randomly). But WTF does "Wreck-Gar" mean?!?
Terome

Post by Terome »

If I recall correctly, Budiansky named everyone (or at least prepared a shortlist of names to get past Hasbro's legal department) EXCEPT the movie cast. So while 'Hot Rod' and 'Blurr' are fairly standard and 'Ultra Magnus' works as intended, we get nonsense names like 'Arcee,' 'Kup,' and indeed 'Wreck-Gar.' I don't think anyone has so far taken credit for naming them.

That said, 'Cyclonus' is a nonsense name that is pretty cool for some reason.

I wonder if a single human being was responsible for the very silly names of Beast Wars or if they were committeed together with the lights off.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Terome wrote:If I recall correctly, Budiansky named everyone (or at least prepared a shortlist of names to get past Hasbro's legal department) EXCEPT the movie cast. So while 'Hot Rod' and 'Blurr' are fairly standard and 'Ultra Magnus' works as intended, we get nonsense names like 'Arcee,' 'Kup,' and indeed 'Wreck-Gar.' I don't think anyone has so far taken credit for naming them.

That said, 'Cyclonus' is a nonsense name that is pretty cool for some reason.

I wonder if a single human being was responsible for the very silly names of Beast Wars or if they were committeed together with the lights off.
Ah, I think Kup is a good fit for the Character.

This probably isnt it but according to a quick search gar in latin means to cause something (I could be very wrong here, the website isnt the best) so is it possible his name means to cause wreckage?
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

I wouldn't be surprised if Wreck-Gar was short for Wreckage-Garbage. With him being a Junkion and all. :)
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Ah, I think Kup is a good fit for the Character.
I like Kup as a name too. It is fun to say. But it doesn't really mean anything the way that 'Cliffjumper' or 'Sandstorm' does. He might as well be called Keith.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Kup is a pickup truck.
Arcee is an R/C car, remote control car.
Hot Rod is... a hot rod car.
Wreck Gar could be car wreck, or wrecker/garbage.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I think the TF:TM cast's names are a little bit more nonsensical and tangenty just to sound more futuristic. Most of them sound a bit like words but also largely nicely different from all those shitty extant characters you now hate because they've just been butchered. It's just a crasser version of the 'jam two words together, slap on a tech spec' stuff Bob did with the odd twist. The leaders are the most obvious - Hot Rod Prime and a galvanised Megatron.

The Movie is probably, overall, still the most mental and suicidal thing Hasbro have ever done. Wipe out the successful and popular cast (preferably in the most traumatic way possible), replace them with thumbnail sketches who have really terrible toys. Add Stan Bush and a bunch of 9th-rate celebs (carefully picking ones who are still just about big enough not to do the TV series), make it as violent as possible to exclude 99% of the likely audience - maybe throw in a swear to make sure of the job. Wait for the box office to roll in.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

(chuckle) I always thought "Hot Rod" and "Springer" were unfortunate names that might have been better off with the Village People or something. Hey, you see that young guy Hot Rod doin his thing?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Arcee is probably has the silliest thinking behind it as she's not remote control.

Mind, Optimus Prime, the one name from the orginal line up that we know for sure wasn't Bob's, doesn't fit the standard naming convention either. I wonder what a Budiansky style name for him would be?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Big Daddy.

- did Bob name the Micromasters? I can believe he did. They come across as the creation of a man on the ropes. Still some good ones in there though. Pity that 'Fixit' has become one of those names that has an extra layer of association to it in the UK.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I now want the new version of the wreckers to contain Springer, Impactor, Whirl and Keith.

Funny aside: My Mom used to mind the neighbours kid and he loved the cartoon movie (I had the vhs of it and this was a good 5 or so years after the release and he was only 4) but he always thought that Optimus Primes name was "Brian" which I found cute.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Red Dave Prime wrote: he always thought that Optimus Primes name was "Brian" which I found cute.
Did he by any chance end up working at a Hong Kong TV station?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Not to my knowledge. I have to ask.. why?
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Not to my knowledge. I have to ask.. why?
Catch the Headmaster's Hong Kong dub some time...
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The Star TV dub of Headmasters has all sorts of brilliant Ingrish dubbing. Blaster is called Billy and other nonsense like that. I don't know if the US version of Headmasters retains the dub on the DVDs, the UK Metrodome release does. Its funny for five seconds and then outstays its welcome.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

"Spaceship Bruce"!

Yeah, the MM's names are a bit cringe-worthy at times. Some of em aren't bad, but others are unfortunate - Heave, especially :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The Reverend wrote:
Yeah, the MM's names are a bit cringe-worthy at times. Some of em aren't bad, but others are unfortunate - Heave, especially :)
Agreed; overall they didn't do badly considering they had to drum up, what, fifty, sixty, seventy new names for the things in a couple of years right at the end of the line. But still, they're either stupid (Cement Head and Terror Tread, who sound like a Nickleodeon cartoon pitched at 14 year old Gen Xers) or just words related to their alt modes with minimal imagination (Stakeout, Flak, Hubs). And some of them just don't really make much sense - Sidetrack, Roadhandler (he handles on roads? Should ****ing think so...), Roadhugger (he has grippy tyres... wow, I'm scared...).
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

That spaceship Bruce thing is fantastic.

Maybe when Maximus returns from his breakdown in MTMTE he could have a new personality - the super-camp spaceship Bruce!

I reckon naming Transformers is a tricky enough prospect. The name needs to appeal to kids first and foremost and suit the toy (hence why so many are linked to the alt-mode) As silly as Road Hugger and Cliff Jumper sound (kidding!!!!) they work better for a toy series than Xaaron would.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Red Dave Prime wrote: I reckon naming Transformers is a tricky enough prospect. The name needs to appeal to kids first and foremost and suit the toy (hence why so many are linked to the alt-mode) As silly as Road Hugger and Cliff Jumper sound (kidding!!!!) they work better for a toy series than Xaaron would.
Xaaron is quite a bad name, isn't it? Furman took a while to get the hang of the naming conventions. 'Impactor' is an early one that works, but 'Toomandi,' 'Tornado,' 'Flame,' and 'Triton' just don't cut it.

Always liked 'Flak' from the Micromasters, myself. You're right that there's no imagination to it but it's a good roboty name.

On these thoughts, 'Trainwreck' might have been a good alternate name for Wreck-Gar. Sure, he's not a train, but it sort of links in to the idea of the Junkions as being accustomed to limb-rending damage on a daily basis.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!