Toys that still stand great by today's standards

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Toys that still stand great by today's standards

Post by Knightdramon »

Bloody hell, is standard with a d or a t?

Anyways, which toy do you believe have passed the test of time and natural engineering evolution of later toylines? I was inspired by my Masterpiece Starscream\Seeker mould in general. I just took out and fiddled with my very first release of the mould in those real-life accurate green hues. Whilst it's the most impressive jet mode of them MP Seekers, the robot mode leaves a lot to be desired mostly due to the thin, model-kit like plastic used.

US-release Starscream I can fiddle with all I want with no fear of snapping anything. Then it hit me as I was reading the instruction booklet. That mould came out in 2006. September 2006. It's almost 5 years old. Then I take a look at a prized item of mine, Universe Nemesis Prime [Big Convoy repaint]. Pitted in the most badass pose ever imaginable [will snap some pics later on], that mould appears to be brand new, yet it came out in...1999? Hurray for the 12 year old mould!

Which figures that you've come across believe have stood up the test of time? Obviously they have to be at least two year old moulds [MP's from Grimlock and on don't count, RTS, Generations and DOTM are not valid]. Some figures are outclassed so quickly, even a few waves later, it's not even funny [original movie sideswipe, ROTF Preview Bee for instance] whilst others are not moved from their thrones years later.

Here's a short list of mine

Beast Wars Neo Big Convoy: Easily the best leader-type figure of the ENTIRE BW era, including BM. A robot so poseable it puts to shame recent DOTM Voyagers, numerous accessories\gimmicks that make you want to give the mech-tech weapons to your dog to chew on and a transformation that's frustrating, but much more involved than your usual 'sit vehicle up, extend limbs and flip head up' Unicron trilogy figures that followed.

RID Optimus Prime: Japan's immediate successor to Big Convoy. It started a trend back in 2000 that all following Primes attempted-super modes. The idea of a poseable Prime figure with a base mode that can combine worked only on this one. Armada was a brick either way, Energon sacrificed the individual robot mode and Cybertron was too wooden like in execution. Small robot mode is more poseable than all succeeding Primes [please check if you want, but I believe I'm correct] in the following 11 years! Only one that comes close is Animated Voyager Prime, but still falls short!

Binaltech Smokescreen: I will dedicate a shrine to this figure and everything it stands for. Takara's first real attempt at a more mature crowd\collector market is still king of the road 7-8 years later. Glossy paint, real life rally markings, rubber tires, accurately scaled representation, detailed interior and the first proper, named re-imagining of a G1 character. Real steering movement on the wheels and licensed by Subaru to boot. Tons of die-cast. This is the grandfather of classics\movie figures in all aspects.

Notable others: G2 Laser Rod Optimus Prime spawned a fanbase centered around RID Scourge, and ROTF Buster Optimus Prime, but it's too soon to say that for the latter.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Seconded on Smokey and RiD Prime.

G2 Prime is still pretty good - the balance makes up for any advances in articulation, though I prefer the RiD colour scheme.

G2 Road Rocket - they've yet to top it as far as motorbike TFs go.

G1 Frenzy/Rumble - really nicely done for such a small figure.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I still like the RX8 mold (Jazz and Shockwave) from Alternators even after all this time. Everything about it just works.

And considering they were made in 1986, the Predacons hold up amazingly well. Three out of five of them have multiple points of articulation as robots... unheard of at the time! ;)
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

G1 Shockwave, one of the first and quite articulated for his time. Not only that, he was rather cartoon/comic accurate to boost.

Same goes for G1 Soundwave.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Most of the originated moulds for Car Robots / RiD are win - Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, The Build Team, Car Brothers, Team Bullet Train are still fantastic pieces of work.

As are a lot of the Beast wars toys - original Cybershark is awesome, Tripredacus is still one of the most impressively engineered gestalts ever. Rampage (in fact most of the Transmetals are excellent) and seconded for Big Convoy / Nemesis Prime.

And yes, the Subaru Impreza mould is still the benchmark for the Binaltech / Alts line.

Classics Bumblebee is still an impressive wee toy :)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The Fortress Maximus mould is still the best ever Transformer of that size.

Semi seriously, lots of love for RID Prime as well, even if the base mode is to all intents and purposes a bunch of robot parts sitting on the floor that's still not so uncommon as to make the toy feel antiquated.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Deanified

Post by Deanified »

Personally, I think the Armada-Energon Unicron mold was a great breakthrough for Supreme-Leader size figures. He was accurate to both G1 and Unicron Trilogy Unicron(s) respectively, and the toy itself was pretty damn cool. The transformation was in depth, but not completely impossible or utterly annoying (I'm looking at you Movie 2007 Megatron) and it was one the most posable supreme class figures to date, if NOT the most. It was so posable that every finger has TWO points of articulation. And I'm not ashamed to pose him with my Season 3 G1 figures.
Deanified Superior, Other Nerds Inferior
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

G1 Soundwave. Sure, the walkman has been obsoleted 5 times already, but still...

BM Megatron 'Headcrab' version. Work of art, and still gives me the creeps.
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

For me, out of my collection, I'd have to say it's the three Alternators Decepticons I own: Battle Ravage, Shockblast, and Swindle. Each of them a retool of a 2004 mold.

I dug them out recently of my basement when I was redoing my displays and realized I hadn't displayed them in a long time. Grimlock reminded me almost immediately why he never was on the shelf, but the other three earned a pass.
Megatrons Cannon

Post by Megatrons Cannon »

G1 Jetfire!!
nathanbowler
Protoform

Post by nathanbowler »

Knightdramon wrote:Bloody hell, is standard with a d or a t?

Anyways, which toy do you believe have passed the test of time and natural engineering evolution of later toylines? I was inspired by my Masterpiece Starscream\Seeker mould in general. I just took out and fiddled with my very first release of the mould in those real-life accurate green hues. Whilst it's the most impressive jet mode of them MP Seekers, the robot mode leaves a lot to be desired mostly due to the thin, model-kit like plastic used.

US-release Starscream I can fiddle with all I want with no fear of snapping anything. Then it hit me as I was reading the instruction booklet. That mould came out in 2006. September 2006. It's almost 5 years old. Then I take a look at a prized item of mine, Universe Nemesis Prime [Big Convoy repaint]. Pitted in the most badass pose ever imaginable [will snap some pics later on], that mould appears to be brand new, yet it came out in...1999? Hurray for the 12 year old mould!

Which figures that you've come across believe have stood up the test of time? Obviously they have to be at least two year old moulds [MP's from Grimlock and on don't count, RTS, Generations and DOTM are not valid]. Some figures are outclassed so quickly, even a few waves later, it's not even funny [original movie sideswipe, ROTF Preview Bee for instance] whilst others are not moved from their thrones years later.

Here's a short list of mine

Beast Wars Neo Big Convoy: Easily the best leader-type figure of the ENTIRE BW era, including BM. A robot so poseable it puts to shame recent DOTM Voyagers, numerous accessories\gimmicks that make you want to give the mech-tech weapons to your dog to chew on and a transformation that's frustrating, but much more involved than your usual 'sit vehicle up, extend limbs and flip head up' Unicron trilogy figures that followed.

RID Optimus Prime: Japan's immediate successor to Big Convoy. It started a trend back in 2000 that all following Primes attempted-super modes. The idea of a poseable Prime figure with a base mode that can combine worked only on this one. Armada was a brick either way, Energon sacrificed the individual robot mode and Cybertron was too wooden like in execution. Small robot mode is more poseable than all succeeding Primes [please check if you want, but I believe I'm correct] in the following 11 years! Only one that comes close is Animated Voyager Prime, but still falls short!

Binaltech Smokescreen: I will dedicate a shrine to this figure and everything it stands for. Takara's first real attempt at a more mature crowd\collector market is still king of the road 7-8 years later. Glossy paint, real life rally markings, rubber tires, accurately scaled representation, detailed interior and the first proper, named re-imagining of a G1 character. Real steering movement on the wheels and licensed by Subaru to boot. Tons of die-cast. This is the grandfather of classics\movie figures in all aspects.

Notable others: G2 Laser Rod Optimus Prime spawned a fanbase centered around RID Scourge, and ROTF Buster Optimus Prime, but it's too soon to say that for the latter.

RID Optimus Prime is definitely my favourite. :)
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Cliffjumper wrote:G2 Prime is still pretty good - the balance makes up for any advances in articulation, though I prefer the RiD colour scheme.
Laser or Hero Prime?

Actually, most Laser figures period. Apart from Electro who is no longer great, just a pile of disembodied limbs and some gold plastic shards.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Knightdramon wrote:RID Optimus Prime: Japan's immediate successor to Big Convoy. It started a trend back in 2000 that all following Primes attempted-super modes. The idea of a poseable Prime figure with a base mode that can combine worked only on this one.
Wouldn't this idea of have started with Powermaster Optimus/Super Ginrai?
Technically the cab figure IS more posible (Didn't say it was useful... but it's there).

Then Star Saber, and didn't Powered Convoy/Ultra Magnus technically have a base mode?

Speaking of:
Robot Masters Star Saber/Victory Saber is pretty awesome, most of RID is win, even Megatron/Galvatron with some non-sense alt modes.

The Maximi are fun, just will saddly never be seen again....
windsweeper
Protoform

Post by windsweeper »

Completely agree with RID Prime and G1 Soundwave.

G1 Hun-gurrr

G1 Scorponok

G1 Quake - surprisingly poseable and he's a Targetmaster

Device Label Tigatron

Robotmasters Mirage and the other Basics

RM OPtimus Primal

RM Lio Convoy

Having a lot of fun with my recently acquired inner bot Snarler.

Energon Scouts. Strongarm is so poseable and has the best melee weapon ever with that big Energon axe.

G1 Metroplex. Put him in the middle of a set of WSTF's and he shines.

G1 Laser Rods. Sizzle is just amazing.

G1 Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus. I know Magnus armoured legs are immoveable but he still has loads of playability.

G1 Galvatron
numbat

Post by numbat »

Legends of Cybertron (LOC) Starscream / Seeker mould not only stands the test of time, but remains one of the best if not the best Legends / Legion Class figure. Sadly, aside from the later peak during Universe 2.0, Legends / Legion Class figures have regressed, rather than improved over the years...

G2 Archforce / Hero Megatron also remains a superb figure, and fits in perfectly as a Classics style Megatron on display - and is a damn-sight better than any of the modern Classics Megatron figures. Shame the Classics Deluxe Megatron based on this design turned out so weird... I don't know how you could've messed that one up.

Robot Masters Covoy is an amazing wee figure (Scout sized by modern standards) that delivers what is almost MP-01 on a tiny scale. His accessories are also awesome, and he is incredibly well articulated. Like Megatron, the Classics Deluxe Optimus Prime that is based on this design is just not as good, and the mid boggles as to how that could happen when they had it down perfect already.

Another G2 figure that stands up very well (as evidenced by how often he's been repainted for modern lines) is Dreadwing & Smokescreen. Smokescreen has been almost mirror copied by other Transformers since, and has superb articulation and great transformation. Dreadwing doesn't stand up quite so well, but wouldn't be the worst figure if released in any of the recent Classics-style toy lines.

And, of course, Armada Unicron makes a perfect Classics-style Unicron, and is totally awesome, although the new Hasbro (Amazon exclusive) and Takara versions of the mould with the new G1 accurate head look even better (and I'd take the Takara version as the nicest).

Those are off the top of my head. While there are other older figures I hang onto and still love, that's no doubt sentimental... (I mean, I love G2 Clench, but he doesn't stand up well against modern Transformers!)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Gagh
Protoform

Post by Gagh »

It's all G1 for me.

Scorponok - still one of the best looking big-bots.

Menasor - Not that great looking, but great memories opening this on Christmas day as a kid.

Skullcruncher - Awesomely executed 'beast' mode.

Seaspray - he was always my favourite mini-bot.

Predaking - an unobtainable droolfest for me as a kid. Still love the look of that giant bot.

Hardhead - Just loved his vehicle mode. That's it.

Grimlock - yeah it's obvious, but it'll be great by any standards for a long time to come. Kids will always love dinosaurs. Kids will often like robots ;)

Doubledealer - Came out in the UK as Transformers was losing its early mass popularity, but as a triple changer it was one of the best - two utterly different versions that both look good. The falcon (vulture) mode is still great.
poyguimogul

Post by poyguimogul »

Inferno, and Galvatron from G1, are examples of what I like to call
"Ultimate Standers" - real nice arm articulation, and none in the legs.

BT/ALT/KP - they have alot of articulaion and some classic stylings, but are a bit big, and a bit fragile compared to the smaller denser figures.

Fortress Maximus (and any incarnation there of) is probably the best TF from G1, and his inclusion in other lines (KP + RM) helps him transcend time.

Most of the combiners too from G1, while individually have the appeal of a
Lego Block, The combined forms have a quality that newer vers. seem 2 lack.
robodog

Post by robodog »

G1 Soundwave is probably my favorite transformer ever.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

ROTF Leader Optimus Prime. Developed in 2008.

Still an amazing figure that manages the complex movie design almost to perfection.
Come on and wind me up.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Skyquake87 wrote:Most of the originated moulds for Car Robots / RiD are win - Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, The Build Team, Car Brothers, Team Bullet Train are still fantastic pieces of work.

As are a lot of the Beast wars toys - original Cybershark is awesome, Tripredacus is still one of the most impressively engineered gestalts ever. Rampage (in fact most of the Transmetals are excellent) and seconded for Big Convoy / Nemesis Prime.

And yes, the Subaru Impreza mould is still the benchmark for the Binaltech / Alts line.
If I wasn't lazy and were to type up a post, this would be it. Agree completely. :up:

Except for Ultra Magnus. Ultra Magnus can go to hell.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!