*swears*

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Shrapnel Clone

*swears*

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

My computer is going insane, won't boot properly anymore, damn that new CD RW thingy..... So if I disappear from the board, you can safely assume the CD rewriter exploded in my face...

------------------
------------------
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Originally posted by Kickback:
CD rewriter exploded in my face...

We live in hope....I mean, dang...

shame that.

and how come you're never on ICQ anymore!?

------------------
...in beer we trust...
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Originally posted by Skywarp:
We live in hope....I mean, dang...

shame that.

1. That was not nice, mister you-did-not-turn-into-Cyclonus Image

2. It's a shame indeed. Even in the present nothing works!

3. I'm not on ICQ cause I'm always busy with school. Damn that school!
Also, I'm feeling pretty tired all the time, everything I try to do fails and I don't feel like doing stuff anymore.....

------------------
------------------
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Awww... you're not alone; everyone else appears to have major glitches with their CD writing software, too...

Little tip: don't install Adaptec Easy CD Creator alongside the Roxio/Adaptec CD Writing Plug-In for Media Player 7 -- it will almost certainly screw something up, and I've watched in disbelief as it blue-screened NT/2K systems to the point where they had to be reinstalled.

------------------

Check out my collection & trade list and other TF stuff @ denyer.cjb.net!
Later, when I was hanging from the tree... — Bill Hicks
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer:
will almost certainly screw something up, and I've watched in disbelief as it blue-screened NT/2K systems to the point where they had to be reinstalled.

But...but...NT systems...I have never seen an NT system blue screen of death before...

------------------
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Haha... you have much to learn and witness! Image

NT started going downhill the second IE was tied into the core functions of the OS... then you had DirectX... etc... basically, "one operating system for all" is a dream... heck, M$ couldn't compile the 2000 beta kernel for over three months at one stage!

------------------

Strafe

Post by Strafe »

heck, M$ couldn't compile the 2000 beta kernel for over three months at one stage!

Good to see that they are competent... Image

All this time I had thought that maybe, just maybe, we had gotten away from the Win 95 days of "click file" Crash. Look at monitor, crash, and so forth...

------------------
Reverend Shrapnel

Post by Reverend Shrapnel »

Originally posted by Skywarp:

If anyone cares about why I'm not there anymore, it doesn't work with my new Internet connection. I tried it a few times and it got on quickly once before crashing...

------------------
*Since Tripod kicked me off AGAIN, I'll just have to tell you I'm supporting Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back*
-----------------------------------
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

This is based on my friend's advice... but there's a messenger client called Trillian out there that's supposedly free, works with various protocols, and is rather more stable...
Trillian 0.70 pick
Check out this skinnable chat client with support for IRC, AIM, ICQ, MSN, and Yahoo Messenger.
File Size: 2.1MB
License: Freeware
Yeah, go check out www.download.com

------------------

Wildfire Herald

Post by Wildfire Herald »

Kernels? OS? M$? What the hell are you guys talking about?

------------------

Who is?: Wild Harry, Wildfry Heruld, Wildfighter Herbal, Wildfly Harold, Mildchild Gerald, Wilburforce Hairgel, Wildchild Feral, Widebirth Lovechild, Willy Harrelson, Wally Hell, Wildfur Hairball, Wilco Herring, Wendy Harvard, Wes Holevinski, Wildabeast Gerard, Wildnuts Ferald, Hillbilly Weasel, Wilson Halfwit, Freight-train Hellbound, Wildlife Herald, Wheelchair Fairchild, Wherefore Hendrix, Wimmenfolk Halibut, Where's Harry?, Mildwild Ferald, Wildfry Harry

"'Speedbreaker got a new Spark engine and he was impressed' good, good for him" -Flec on Techspecs

Keep CR alive, refuse retarded western names
SN: ScUm 0 tHe EaRtH
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

Originally posted by Wildfire Herald:
Kernels? OS? M$? What the hell are you guys talking about?

OS - Operating System - Windows etc

M$ - Denyer's abbreviation for Microsoft

Kernel - The core programming code of an application, in this case the Win 2000/NT code. When he says they couldn't compile it, means basically for 3 months the programming was extremely...bad...

------------------
Brawn
Protoform

Post by Brawn »

Originally posted by Strafe:
But...but...NT systems...I have never seen an NT system blue screen of death before...
Tis true I have seen the Blue Screen of Death on NT5 aka Win2k...
With almost the very same problem as Denyer...

This is a lesson folks never store anything important in your C: drive, or your HDA0..
Put all your other goodies on a seprate drive, makes it easier to back up!

------------------
Have you seen Brendocon??
"Sig Brought to in part by the Bring Back Brendocon Campaign"
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Glitches in CD-writing software?!

I haven't even installed the damn thing! I guess my father accidentally touched the videocard or something, cause since he put in the CDRW device, I can't get a signal on my monitor most of the time (once out of 20 boot-ups I do get signal).

------------------
------------------
Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 »

Awww... you're not alone; everyone else appears to have major glitches with their CD writing software, too...

Little tip: don't install Adaptec Easy CD Creator alongside the Roxio/Adaptec CD Writing Plug-In for Media Player 7 -- it will almost certainly screw something up, and I've watched in disbelief as it blue-screened NT/2K systems to the point where they had to be reinstalled.

Oh man I told my mom that wasn't a good idea. *quickly goes to delete the files*

------------------
Optimus Prime do you read me the Decepticons are blitzing Autobot city, we're really taking a pounding; dunno how much longer we can hold out-Blaster in Tf:TM
Thanks to Dai our tea boy for this beautiful sig
Watch the Birdy Laserbeak
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Kickback:
I haven't even installed the damn thing!
Well, rule one: always keep yourself earthed (radiator, screw on light switch, etc)... although since it's working sporadically, it tends to suggest that the card has simply been knocked slightly loose in its slot...

It's also vaguely conceivable your case doesn't have a power-unit which can handle an extra device like a CD-RW; for instance, mine is rated up to 320W, but most are 220-240...

Obviously also make sure that if your graphics card is PCI, that it's in the first PCI slot...

------------------

Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Well, rule one: always keep yourself earthed (radiator, screw on light switch, etc)... although since it's working sporadically, it tends to suggest that the card has simply been knocked slightly loose in its slot...

It's also vaguely conceivable your case doesn't have a power-unit which can handle an extra device like a CD-RW; for instance, mine is rated up to 320W, but most are 220-240...

Obviously also make sure that if your graphics card is PCI, that it's in the first PCI slot...
My dad was earthed when he installed the damn thing. I'll check on the Watt thingy though, that might be the problem....

Odd thing is, my mom was able to burn a CD today. But the startup problem remains...

------------------
------------------
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, well, if you have an Athlon or P3/4, it's probably drawing quite a bit of power; I find it ridiculous that an average MIDI case with room for 3 drives and a couple of hard-discs can rarely support them all...

Is the bootup problem connected with BIOS time or actually getting into Windows? From what you say I'd guess BIOS related, so...

If the system is stable when it does boot, you may have a conflict of resources on the motherboard... in which case it's time to get out the manual and indulge in some voodoo logic (if you'll excuse the pun...) Try turning hardware automatic power management off for starters, followed by not giving IRQs to video, audio, modem etc if at all possible...

Also, and this is a big also, make sure that if the CD-RW is sharing an IDE channel with any other device, that you have UDMA compatible cables in place on all channels; the cable supplied with the drive may not be suitable for connecting a hard-drive. ATA100 cables are quite cheap now; don't pay Belkin prices... and always give a CD-RW one of the two IDE channels to itself if you can.

------------------

Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Oi, this is getting a bit too technical for me, I'll have to get somehelp tomorrow or so. I'll let you know if it worked as soon as possible....

------------------
------------------