So I'm addicted to off-brand Lego minifig KOs

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

So I'm addicted to off-brand Lego minifig KOs

Post by Cliffjumper »

So you might have seen these popping up on ebay and/or my facebook feeds; basically a lot of Chinese factory workers have realised the money in copying licenced Lego minifigs and the result is that you can get them for about £1.50 shipped from China, with some people even selling them over here and them even turning up on some markets. This makes them ridiculously addictive and I already have a ton plus more on order... Quality is generally very good; arm clips/shoulder holes seems to be a slight weak point as the plastic's a little more brittle than on the kosher ones, certainly wouldn't fancy popping them back out too many times.

[L-R]

Deadpool: yeah, I'm a bit sick of him now too but whatever. Nice painted details plus a nice natural use of the Ninjago backpack.

Spider-Woman: in the awesome seventies Jessica Drew incarnation. I vaguely remember she's back now in some terrible Loeb Bendis ****pie but never mind, Jessica cocking Drew.

Superman: bought entirely in reference to the one good Superman film, The Lego Movie. Need to get him a Green Lantern to superhate.

Colossus: in all his eighties glory. Bit of a frowny face, though.

Spider-Man: classic costume to supplant my long-serving "first mission" one from the actual Lego Spider-Man film line.
Attachments
20160827_211901.jpg
20160827_211934.jpg
20160827_211955.jpg
20160827_212044.jpg
20160827_211255-1.jpg
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

[L-R]

The Beast! In full Jim Lee/underwhelming cartoon glory, with a mug of tea. A bit like Colossus it's a shame he doesn't have a slightly more benign face but he's still super.

Wolverine: don't seem to do the yellow/blue classic costume so the yellow/brown did compared to the plethora of film-inspired ones. Mad cheating on the minifig's head to get the eyes lined up with the mask but I like the claws - I assumed they were just the Ninjago wrist-blade elements but instead they're much better.

Psylocke: Weird mix of her original caucasian body & hair with her 'Asian' costume (is she like that in the latest Fox disaster?) but sod it, it's Betsy. Rather odd-looking pink broadsword but nice jaggedy mind bullet clip-on.

Daredevil: One of several to suffer from not really knowing what to do with the headgear or wanting to save money - ideally there'd be a flat little skullcap with moulded devil ears but instead they're painted on the head. Pretty nice, though - darker red than my dodgy picture makes out.
Attachments
20160827_211541.jpg
20160827_211637.jpg
20160827_211729.jpg
20160827_211755.jpg
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

They're well cool, and certainly cheaper/less space-consuming than my recently acquired Marvel Legends addiction.
Cliffjumper wrote:Spider-Woman: in the awesome seventies Jessica Drew incarnation. I vaguely remember she's back now in some terrible Loeb Bendis ****pie but never mind, Jessica cocking Drew.
Not sure what ****pie you're referring to. Jessica Drew's still Spider-Woman (well, the "616" one anyway), and while she's ditched the catsuit for a "street clothey" costume (which I think is awesome) she still rocked the classic costume on the occasions she's gone back to the Avengers, so I can't imagine it'll be gone on a permanent basis.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm just directing slurs at comics I've yet to read; was vaguely aware that she had been recalled to the spotlight. I thought she got eighties'd up at one point? Or was that a different one who was in West Coast Avengers? TBH my Marvel knowledge is getting distinctly spotty.

The figs are pretty cool but the frustrating thing is if they haven't done them they haven't done them; given that most superheroes have at least one unique design feature I've rapidly hit a wall - no Wanda (they did one I'm guessing from one of the films who's just a whore with red trim?), no decent Mystique, no Swordsman, no Giant Man/Goliath, Sunfire, no Firestar for that Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends link-up etc. so it hits a bit of a wall quite early. Other hand there's stuff I'd never have expected and would suspect the real versions go for silly money, like vintage Ant-Man & Quicksilver, 90s Rogue & Gambit, non-Renner Hawkeye and so on.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Cliffjumper wrote:I'm just directing slurs at comics I've yet to read; was vaguely aware that she had been recalled to the spotlight. I thought she got eighties'd up at one point? Or was that a different one who was in West Coast Avengers? TBH my Marvel knowledge is getting distinctly spotty.
TBF I'm reading the ****ing stuff and I have difficulty keeping track of everything.

She did have a leather trenchcoat for a bit about the time of Alias, but I think that was just civilian wear. It's entirely possible that they gave her a new costume in the 80s (as they did for ****ing everyone), but she's been in the red catsuit since New Avengers started.

There WAS another Spider-Woman for a while, but she's the new Madame Webb now. Er. COMICS.

But we're getting off topic. I would definitely buy all the Marvel Lego if I didn't know that I would buy ALL the Marvel Lego. And I'd expect the lack of stuff that hasn't been done to frustrate the **** out of me.