Need help w/ DVD Collections

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
Alexei416
Protoform

Need help w/ DVD Collections

Post by Alexei416 »

hey everyone,
im new on here and i just have a quick question wonderin if neone could help me out...

im lookin to get a hold of the DVD collection for the first few seasons at least (i dun really like beast wars or any of that, i just prefer the original anime). Now I've seen the generation 1 dvd set... but i was wondering if the very begining (before the vehicles operated themselves and they required people to activate them with bracelets n all) is a part of it? I used to watch the show when i was a lil kid so im talkin bout the stuff they used to show a while back... Does anyone know first of all what I should look for? (specific names that is ) and second of all where could i buy it for a good price?

thanks a lot.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Alexei416
before the vehicles operated themselves and they required people to activate them with bracelets
This sounds like either transtector stuff in the later Japan-only series, or a show other than Transformers.
Alexei416
Protoform

Post by Alexei416 »

im positive that it was transformers... it was all the main guys but before the machines operated themselves... the battles were still as robots but the ppl were inside of them... then at the end of the season i remember the machines started acting themselves and they told ppl that basicaly from there on they go their seperate ways. I believe there were 7 main guy on the autobots side with optimus prime leading them + there were 3 teens (1 in cop car, 1 in ambulance and the 3rd i believe was a firetruck)
Alexei416
Protoform

Post by Alexei416 »

i think i mighta found it...

"Transformers: Chôjin Master Force" (1988)

is that a part of the first season?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

No, that's a Japanese-only show that followed AFTER the end of G1.

It was like this:

American "Transformers" season 1 (1984) and season 2 (1985-86) became Japanese "Tatakae! Cho Robot Seimeitei Transformer" (1985-86).

American "Transformers" season 3 became Japanese "Transformers 2010" (both 1986-87).

After that, America had season 4 (1987; only 3 episodes).

Japan didn't get these episodes. Instead, they got "Transformers: Headmasters" (1987-88), an all-new show.

Followed by "Masterforce" (1988-89).

Then "Victory" (1989-90).

And then "Zone" (1990; only 1 episode).

"Headmasters", "Masterforce" and "Victory" never aired on US TV, but they were dubbed into English by Star TV from Hong Kong. From they way you write, I presume you are from there? :)

And don't be to confused about "Optimus Prime" showing up in Masterforce. That character was named "Ginrai" (or "Super Ginrai") in Japan and is NOT supposed to be the same character as Optimus Prime ("Convoy" in Japan), they just happen to look similar (well, not "just").
The Star TV dubs were horrible. They gave all the characters weird names. "Optimus Prime" is just the most prominent example (because the toy's American counterpart was in fact Powermaster Optimus Prime, but supposed to be different character).
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Alexei416
Protoform

Post by Alexei416 »

Originally posted by Nevermore
"Headmasters", "Masterforce" and "Victory" never aired on US TV, but they were dubbed into English by Star TV from Hong Kong. From they way you write, I presume you are from there? :)

I'm actually from St. Petersburg, Russia originaly :) i used to watch that show as a kid. I live in Toronto, Canada now and when i first moved here i thought the woulda had same stuff but at the time they aired beast wars, and i didnt like that at all... since russia and asia are really close i guess we mighta gotten the japanese series instead of the western ones... well lets say that it was indeed the japanese series, do you know where i could get them all? (dubbed, since i do not speak japanese :( )

Oh, and thats really odd that they never aired it in US, cuz i remember watchin Gereneration 1 (seasons 1,2,3,4), they aired them in russia but that was after the japanese series that you're talkin bout. I think we got Headmasters and Masterforce (did in masterforce they have "warriors of masterforce" on the autobot side, or something along those lines? thats a rough translation from the way they were called when they dubbed it in russia).

But thanks for takin your time and replying :)
now i just gotta figure out what are the exact names of the seasons i gotta look for :S
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Oh, and thats really odd that they never aired it in US, cuz i remember watchin Gereneration 1 (seasons 1,2,3,4), they aired them in russia but that was after the japanese series that you're talkin bout.

Ah, I recall talking to another Russian fan at Iacon Hub, he told me something along these lines. I think he even got his own site, unfortunately I don't remember the address. :(
Alexei416
Protoform

Post by Alexei416 »

I think i found the stuff that im lookin for...

1) Transformers: Seasons 1,2,3,4
2) Transformers: Headmasters
3) Transformers: Masterforce
4) Transformers: Victory
5) Transformers: Zone

Basicaly those are the dvd's im lookin for now, now my job is to find them for a good price :)
Alexei416
Protoform

Post by Alexei416 »

BTW,

thanks a lot for your help guys, if not for you this woulda taken me forever :(
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

2) Transformers: Headmasters
3) Transformers: Masterforce
4) Transformers: Victory

If these DVDs are in English, keep in mind the dub is sub-par and any names are "wrong". "Headmasters" has Blaster called "Billy", Blurr "Wally", Wheelie "Willy", Spike "Sparkle", Metroplex "Philip"...

Masterforce has Minerva called "Nightbeat", Ginrai (Japanese truck driver) named "Optimus Prime" etc.