Transformers Spotlight: Cyclonus (Revelation Part 1)

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

Transformers Spotlight: Cyclonus (Revelation Part 1)

Post by zigzagger »

Waited long enough yet? The first part of Furman’s Revelations arc begins here all pointy headed and purple clad with Spotlight: Cyclonus. This is your all purpose Spotlight: Cyclonus – Revelations Part 1 reaction and discussion thread. Now run along, children. You’ll be graded on participation.

(Graphic by Ultra Computron.)

Due to ship along with Spotlight:Wheelie June 18th according to grahamcrackers.com release schedule
http://grahamcrackers.com/newcomics.htm
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Fantastic!

I really can't say enough about how things were done right here.

It felt like more happened in this single issue than the entire Infiltration and Escalation series combined. (Amazing what you can achieve when you're forced to condense things sometimes.)

Simon delivers the goods on every level here, producing a comic that is cinematic in scope and feel. Pacing, dialogue, casting. It's everything a TF fan wants in a TF comic. Action? Got it. Suspense? Got it. Kitchen sink? I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

Furman is weaving the threads together now into a single strand, and you get the feeling that, whereas before we were floating down the different tributaries of the Amazon, we've sailed into the main river itself. And people, we are about to go on the ride of a lifetime!

All the bigwigs are featured here, some we haven't seen until now. For the Autobots, we've got Prime, Magnus, Jetfire, Fortress Maximus, and Prowl. For the Cons, Nova Prime, Galavatron, Cyclonus(obviously), Thunderwing, Jhiaxus, and....Straxus! With old G1 character and G2 characters thrown into the mix, what's not to love, right?

Of all the subplots thus far, I have been most partial to the Dead Universe one, simply because I felt it held the most promise in giving us something we haven't seen before. After this issue, I'm anticipating it even more.

The only niggle I have with the issue is how horrendous Cyclonus looks. Not digging his appearance, particulary when he has looked so badass in previous comic incarnations.

But that's a small niggle, one that becomes negligible next to the incredible drama Furman is now unfolding before us.

Easily, the best of the -ion series, the first "A+" I've given since the Shockwave and Kup spotlights.

If Simon maintains this level of suspense and wraps it up in a strong fashion, then we might have the modern "Target 2006" on our hands here.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Huh? That banner is new. I assume Denyer placed that graphic up there, yes? Neat-o.

Anyhooo, on to the discussion. Two Spotlights this week. What a treat, though this one wasn't quite as self-contained as Wheelie's was. Then again, considering all that is occurring here, that would've been a difficult feat for this book. Really, because it fits right at home with the other -Tion titles, one almost forgets that they are in fact reading a TF: Spotlight.

While a lot certainly happens here, pacing and page number constraints really doesn't hinder the overall reading experience (much). Multiple plot strands are simultaneously occurring, and yet, satisfyingly, nothing really feels too left out. Makes one wonder what happened in Devastation #6.

Regardless of the multiplicity of plots, Cyclonus is allowed a few moments of exposition, and we're offered some insight as to who he is. A patriot of sorts, dealing with his own personal demons. An interesting contrast to the rest of the Dead Universe's somber cast - Nova Prime, Jhiaxus, Furman's new bot what-his-face, Galvatron and, surprise, Straxus. I just wished there would have been more of him, a similar issue I had with Spotlight: Galvatron.

A good stage setter this one, but more or less an action based issue with previous plot strands FINALLY finding cohesion after being teased for so long. I have no real qualms with this one, though a more self contained tale would have been nice.

Two Spotlights leaves me feeling generous.
4 out of 5 (though I could change my mind, cuz I am fickle that way)
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Was good, and hope the rest as like this.
I never read the 3 tpb of the orginal comic, and was wondering which of the end cons was Straxus. Also does anyone know if Road Rocket is dead?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

wolfbolt86 wrote:was wondering which of the end cons was Straxus.
He's the one on the far left in the group shot.
Some reading if you are interested.
http://s90690880.onlinehome.us/jhiaxus/ ... traxus.htm

Not sure about Road Rocket. He looked functional to me on page 17.
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Pg 17 is the last one that shows Road Rocket. the last part of the page shows him being blasted, but its imposible to tell if the wounds are fatle or just minor.
Thanks for the link zigzagger
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

zigzagger wrote:He's the one on the far left in the group shot.
Really? For some reason (no idea why) I thought it was Scourge.
Then who the hell is the guy on the far right? I don't even have an incorrect ID for him
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Unicron wrote:Really? For some reason (no idea why) I thought it was Scourge.
I was going by the head shape and the signature pick-axe.
Then who the hell is the guy on the far right? I don't even have an incorrect ID for him
That, I believe, is Furman's latest creation. I think his name is Grindcore, or something like that.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

REVELATED:
- Galvatron can survive outside the Dead Universe longer than the others, but nobody knows why
- Cyclonus has trouble remembering his boss' name
- Thunderwing is teh zombie guard dog
- Nightbeat rarely checks his messages
- The final two member of the Dead Universe cast ARE... two characters that I have NO idea on. Oh, what? One of them's meant to be Straxus? Okay then... that was worth every second of hype and anticipation...

I feel rocked and rolled all over the place after this stunning sequence of non-events.

Yes, I get it, it's the others finding out. But still. ;)

Other than that, good stuff. Very pretty, and did its job sehr gut. And no glaring errors.

But, and excuse me if I'm being dense, where exactly is the sub-number that this issue is meant to carry?
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

This was a superb issue. It felt like a wonderful mix of a Spotlight, with enough time spent exploring Cyclonus, and the best of the "-ations." Truly the best of both worlds. Having Revelations condensed into four issues may actually help Furman improve the pacing issues associated with previous arcs. Everything came off well in this issue - all the multitude of characters making appearances, all the threads from Spotlights and main arcs all combined wonderfully to make a superb issue.

As for the character in focus, it's a slightly different take on the classic character. While G1 Cyclonus was loyal to Galvatron, this one is loyal to Cybertron so the question of why he's serving Nova, I mean Nemesis Prime, is still to be answered. I get the feeling Cyclonus'll be explored a little more in the upcoming Spotlights, along with the main character, especially if they're all a combination of Spotlight and "ation."

As for the art, well Su is on form as usual. However, I agree with Shockwav that while the art was mostly superb, and I especially like Su's Magnus and Nightbeat, I don't much like his Cyclonus. He feels too squat compared to the classic sleak look of the character. I understand that he's gone for a different look, and that's one of the great things about having different artists is the different takes on the characters, but I just don't like Su's Cyclonus that much. I'm also not keen on his Sideswipe - his head looks a bit odd.

If Revelations carries on like this we may be looking at the best IDW arc to date, and that's really saying something. And I picked up the Nick Roche cover. Though I love EJ's covers, Nick's done something truly special and different for IDW, and I love it. So one question I do have is are we getting Expansion after this? I don't remember if this has been answered yet. And more Spotlights that aren't an "ation" in disguise? Anyone know?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Neuronutter wrote:so the question of why he's serving Nova, I mean Nemesis Prime, is still to be answered.
Just a case of part of the crew, innit? He was on The Ark, off to mould the universe in the shape of his beloved homeland. Though now of course doubts the cause, as the element they're seeking to eliminate is him.
So one question I do have is are we getting Expansion after this? I don't remember if this has been answered yet. And more Spotlights that aren't an "ation" in disguise? Anyone know?
No Expansion, as far as we know. Next arc for Furman is Maximum Dinobots. Would surmise that Revs is all about preventing the Expansion. My guess is that it was originally conceived as two arcs, one where we find out about the DU crew, another where we get the attempt to foil their nefarious schemes, but the schedule got sped up a bit to allow for AHM. It's all very well having a plan, but intent evolves as you go on, and when sales are tailing off... well, changes must be made.

Which is fine by me. The way this issue's gone, I'm more than happy with the format. Can any of us really imagine if this arc was dragged out over 12 issues of the non-Spotlight variety? Ugh. Being spoonfed eight half-scenes a month for about a year? No thanks.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

looks fun
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Halfshell wrote:No Expansion, as far as we know. Next arc for Furman is Maximum Dinobots.
We still don't know what the remaining issues are do we? The gap between AHM and Revelations is 8 (?) issues IIRC, which leaves 5 for Dino and 3 remaining. Wonder what they'll be?
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

zigzagger wrote:Really, because it fits right at home with the other -Tion titles, one almost forgets that they are in fact reading a TF: Spotlight.
I didn't really think this was a Spotlight as such. More Revelations, told with Cyclonus thrown into the mix, but then I suppose that's the way the Spotlights had been going anyway, what with Galvatron and then Arcee having very broad stories.
Halfshell wrote:Just a case of part of the crew, innit?
What I meant was that Cyclonus is serving Nemesis Prime despite his hesitations. He doesn't even seem sure why he's serving NP, 'cause he's what NP is trying to destroy. It may be like Galvatron, in that he's serving NP till the time is right to stop, for whatever reason.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Well he's only just come to terms with the fact that he's the rogue element (that moment of personal revelation being his character arc for the issue), so we don't know quite what he's going to do know that he's come to the realisation.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Neuronutter wrote:I didn't really think this was a Spotlight as such. More Revelations, told with Cyclonus thrown into the mix, but then I suppose that's the way the Spotlights had been going anyway, what with Galvatron and then Arcee having very broad stories.
Yeah, was kind of what I was driving at. More of an observation than a criticism. It's not as if this is foreign concept to stories being told in the minis, really. This sort character driven story telling was also apparent in the first couple of issues of Infiltration, with most of the attention placed on Ratchet (who frequently told his story through internal monologue). Really, most of Infiltration was one long Spotlight, except in the case of Revelation we get four characters rather than one.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

This issue has a gotten a lot of (deserved praise) but I'd like to throw in a few moments that made me smile but havent been mentioned.

1) Sideswipes continuing putting down of every one of hounds actions is brilliantly done and has made sideswipes spotlight the one I really want to read. The "c'mon! Hound!" bit was great.

2) I love Maximus drawn by Stu. He looks great, like a bulked up version of Armada Megatron.

3) Magnus still uses his "My way or the hard way" speech. He also comes across well in the batle with cyclonus.

4) Thunderwing coming out of the cave. Yeah, i was obvious once cyclonus brought up the idea of a gaurdian but still, the panel where he emerges is excellent.

And for what its worth, I love cyclonus as a slightly clunky, bulky transformer. It may not suit the way he was in other versions but its excellent and continues the form of showing how different the DU robots are.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Red Dave Prime wrote:And for what its worth, I love cyclonus as a slightly clunky, bulky transformer. It may not suit the way he was in other versions but its excellent and continues the form of showing how different the DU robots are.
My assumption is that they're different because they are old...they kind of remind me of the design of Kup. Except for Nemesis/Nova Prime. He's the only one that looks semi-modern in design, I think.

So, are all of these DU guys supposedly once upon a time Autobots? Or just a few of them were with Nova Prime on Ark 4 and the rest he found in the DU?
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Brimstone wrote:My assumption is that they're different because they are old...
^^ this for the win.
So, are all of these DU guys supposedly once upon a time Autobots? Or just a few of them were with Nova Prime on Ark 4 and the rest he found in the DU?
They're the crew of the first Ark, from my understanding. Not Autobots - they left Cybertron long before the notion of factions (cf Spotlight Galvatron).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Pulls things together very adroitly. A large cast, but that's a benefit because Cyclonus isn't, in and of himself, all that interesting as a character... originally created as a stiff and personality-less servant by Unicron, given mileage by his rapport with Scourge in UK material, the notion of making him a racial supremacist and G2-Empire-esque type is an interesting twist but nothing we haven't seen before in some form.

So it's great to get the ongoing plot advanced at the same time, with sharp imagery to accompany events. (If we go back to EJ on an Earth arc, can we keep K on colours please?) We've got a reason, albeit vague as Cyc doesn't know either, for why the seemingly indestructible dead universe lot haven't taken over long ago. Sideswipe gets some panel time that builds him up as more characterful than some "the cause is everything" Autobots. And I particularly liked the Garrus-9 scene with Maximus/Jetfire and the phrase "the Monstructor six".

4/5