[news] oh how lovely...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Galvatron91

oh how lovely...

Post by Galvatron91 »

check this out and breathe deep fellow yanks!

Most Americans Breathing Polluted Air
Lung Association Ranks L.A. Nation's Most Polluted

Reuters

WASHINGTON (May 1) - More than half of all Americans breathe polluted air that can damage their health because the government doesn't fully enforce clean air laws, the American Lung Association said on Wednesday.

Standards are in place to cut back pollution, but since they are not being enforced, nearly 400 counties in the United States have smog levels above the legal limits, the group said. Most are in California, and all are near cities.

''It is clearly time to get serious about enforcing all of the provisions of the Clean Air Act so that we place Americans' health above business and political interests,'' said John Kirkwood, president and chief executive officer of the American Lung Association.

Kirkwood said industry was fighting to roll back important provisions of the Clean Air Act, and ozone standards set in 1997 were still not being enforced.

''More protective ozone standards effectively have been on hold due to challenges by industry, which have kept states relying on weaker standards they have used since 1979,'' Kirkwood said.

Ozone has been linked to asthma and other respiratory conditions.

A coalition of business groups, led by the American Trucking Association, filed a lawsuit seeking to overturn the Environmental Protection Agency's 1997 pollution standards saying they were arbitrary and had no scientific basis.

But last month, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit rejected the argument, saying the EPA ''must err on the side of caution'' and set pollution standards at ''whatever level it deems necessary and sufficient to protect the public health.''

Other legal issues also are still unresolved concerning the pollution standards -- which the EPA estimates would prevent 15,000 premature deaths, 350,000 cases of asthma and 1 million cases of decreased lung function in children.

''Somehow, industry believes it needs to continue to pollute,'' Kirkwood said. ''They have fought every step we have taken toward cleaner air for all Americans. Now is the time for EPA to act.''

According to the association's report, the 10 most polluted areas were Los Angeles, Riverside and Orange County in southern California; Bakersfield, Fresno, Visalia, Tulare and Porterville, California; Houston, Galveston and Brazoria, Texas; Atlanta; Merced, California; Knoxville, Tennessee; Charlotte, North Carolina, and neighboring Rockville, South Carolina, and Sacramento, California.

The cleanest big cities included Bellingham, Washington, Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Lincoln, Nebraska.

Reut09:29 05-01-02
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Oh, and it's not just industries that feel they need to pollute, it's the US military too. They've already gotten some rulings so that they don't have to follow any of the EPA regulations that interfere with their training.
Sheba
Protoform

Post by Sheba »

notice that MOST of those "dirty" cities are run by DEMOCRATS (including the much-maligned Houston--the mayor there is a BIG TIME Democrat that used to be a police chief in New York).
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
Denyer

Notice...

Post by Denyer »

...that senior politicians are scum-sucking f#ckwits, whatever side of the fence they're on. Note that the fence looks identical from both sides.
Galvatron91

cheers denyer!

Post by Galvatron91 »

Originally posted by Sheba
notice that MOST of those "dirty" cities are run by DEMOCRATS (including the much-maligned Houston--the mayor there is a BIG TIME Democrat that used to be a police chief in New York).
ummm sheba...the only democratic state on the polluted list was California. In most cases, local politics have very little to do with pollution control. Houston may have a democratic mayor, but considering who their governor was for nearly 8 years i think that weights more on the plight of Houston.

The simple fact on pollution in the US is that Republicans hate the idea of even having an EPA. Pollution standards are set predominantly at the federal level...and right now who controls the executive branches there? In the last year, Bush has pretty much declared war on the environmentalist agenda...

ok folks, the joke is over...we all know Gore won the damn election...get him in office...

democrats aren't any better for the most part, but Gore and I have a lot more in common than the war mongering oil man in the office right now!
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

When you start choking on smog, will that be enough for you to realize that perhaps environmentalism is something worth pursuing?

Oh wait I forgot, we have to be good republicans and fight the communist-scientific conspiracy and pollute to our heart's content.
Strafe. You're a dick. Ishin_ookami - Dec 1st 2003
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

crap...forgot we had a news forum...moved to there!
Ranma
Protoform

paranoia!...feh

Post by Ranma »

sounds llike more commie propaganda to me but that is my opinion. again in my opinion i feel that we should leave politics out of the tfarchive and save it for discussions about transformers! isnt that what we are here for? or are you here to rip each others throats out over politics? bloody hell take this conversation elseware!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Galvatron91
crap...forgot we had a news forum...moved to there!
Thought it was a TF news forum? That's why it's in the "TF" hierarchy of forums, non?
Denyer

QQ

Post by Denyer »

If we move it back, what happens to the "Moved:" tag in the original forum?
The HeartBrend Kid
Protoform

well...

Post by The HeartBrend Kid »

... one way to find out...
Denyer

I love the way...

Post by Denyer »

...you phrase that in such a way that I'm going to be the one walking to the gallows...

edit: Well, the original redir vanished, but still worked to lead to the correct topic from the cached index.
Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 »

Just something I'd point out and this isn't bragging or nothing, but a few large cities mentioned as clean are all near Canada or like Canada. Bellingham, Colorado and Colorado Springs. I guess it's because of all the extra trees in the area. Though not saying
Canada is perfect about pollution, Vancouver has a lovley green skyline during the summer and I've heard you can barley see infreont of you in Toronto because of all the smog.
Sheba
Protoform

Re: cheers denyer!

Post by Sheba »

Originally posted by Galvatron91

In most cases, local politics have very little to do with pollution control.
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!

IT IS the responsibility of the Mayor to call up the EPA and say "Come clean up my town!" It is NOT the Governor's job. The mayor runs the city, NOT the Governor. Hell the MAYOR is the one that F***ING LIVES THERE fercrissakes.

Notice also that MOST of that was California (a.k.a. DEMOCRAT LAND). Atlanta is BIG TIME DEMOCRAT LAND.

And Strafe, I didn't say it's NOT good to clean up. Cleaning up is GOOD. I just don't like it when people want us to try to kill a mosquito with a F***ING SLEDGEHAMMER :rolleyes:
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
Redstreak
Protoform

Let's break this down

Post by Redstreak »

Always an intelligent way to start an argument...

IT IS the responsibility of the Mayor to call up the EPA and say "Come clean up my town!" It is NOT the Governor's job. The mayor runs the city, NOT the Governor. Hell the MAYOR is the one that F***ING LIVES THERE fercrissakes.
Things like this require state government involvement. There are budget concerns on both ends, but for instance streets are not always local and not always state mandated for rebuild. They could be either. Michigan just had a road repair budget law passed on the state level. Conversely, the streets by where I live remain in shambles cuz the tri-cities there cannot get together and agree to fix them.
Notice also that MOST of that was California (a.k.a. DEMOCRAT LAND). Atlanta is BIG TIME DEMOCRAT LAND.
I'm just curious, did California or Georgia wind up voting Gore in the 2000 election? Regardless, that is a vast generalization that is wrong on so many levels. Just by making a statement like that you are being ignorant. California cannot historically be classified as solidly one or the other. No state can. And just because DNCs get held in Atlanta more often than elsewhere doesn't mean anything...conventions bring cities money, and familiarity is a positive feature, especially in politics.
And Strafe, I didn't say it's NOT good to clean up. Cleaning up is GOOD. I just don't like it when people want us to try to kill a mosquito with a F***ING SLEDGEHAMMER :rolleyes:
Could you swear a little less? I'm serious, I have seen more curse words out of you lately than I've seen out of some people in the entire time I've been here. I don't know what your problem has become, but you need to calm down. And what you think is not gospel either; I don't particularly like how you just talked to G91. I know admins don't need anyone sticking up for them, but you have no right to just go ape on someone because what they say happens to contradict what you believe. Talking down on people is just plain rude and uncalled for. This is a discussion board, not a yelling festival.

And if you can't be calm and reasonable, frankly it wouldn't surprise me if you woke up one morning and found yourself banned...if it was up to me you would be already, and not because of your shameless bandwagon jumping and all the crap you talked about my Red Wings. It's because of rants like this and those in the vegetarianism thread, plain and simple. You are not discussing, you are shouting at people for no reason. And to me, that's so uncalled for it's ridiculous.

Take my advice, chill out.
The Green Knight

Re: Let's break this down

Post by The Green Knight »

Originally posted by Redstreak
Could you swear a little less? I'm serious, I have seen more curse words out of you lately than I've seen out of some people in the entire time I've been here.
Heh heh heh...

"You curse like Joe Pesci in 'Goodfellas'..."
Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 »

Gee Sheba you sure make up alot of stuff...errr know alot of stuff about the American government, you must watch CNN 24/7.

I think it's rather odd Sheba you being a Canadian trying to tell Americans how their political system works. I mean I know some Americans arn't smart but then again the ones at this board tend to be intelligent, even more so then average Canadian like you and me.
The Green Knight

Post by The Green Knight »

Originally posted by Blaster_86
I mean I know some Americans arn't smart but then again the ones at this board tend to be intelligent, even more so then average Canadian like you and me.
Intelligent posters come with the territory here at the Archive. Same with good senses of humor. As opposed to some other boards that don't really exist...
Lucifer
Protoform

guh

Post by Lucifer »

The city of Los Angeles had a Republican mayor for most of the nineties. Riordan aka Mayor Howdy. That guy tried to relax so many pollution regulations it made me sick.
"'If you die,' you said, 'so do I,' you said, but it ends the day you understand, there is no forever, just this."
Galvatron91

Re: Re: cheers denyer!

Post by Galvatron91 »

oh my...so little we know...

the EPA is a FEDERAL AGENCY. Environmental policy falls under the jurisdiction of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. Don't start arguements with me on US govenment...

face facts...conservatives don't give a damn about the environment...and mayors do NOT enact any significant policy outside of city planning. If the proverbial sh*t hits the fans the ask big brother government to come bail them out. Environmental standards are set by the federalies...and the states have the right to enforce strictor guidelines...which by the way, California has...but lacks the funding to enforce them. The simple fact of the matter is this Sheba...BUSH is the one pushing to loosen environmental restrictions, BUSH is the one pushing to drill for oil in the Great Lakes, off shore in the US and in the Alaskan refuges, BUSH is the one who thinks that alternative energy should come second to OIL...and WHY?!? Cause his REPUBLICAN, CONSERVATIVE family made MILLIONS of dollars in the oil industry and oil helped buy him the election.

If John McCain had taken that little spoiled oil boy out, we wouldn't be having this discussion, case right now he would be enforcing environmental laws (which were passed by the Congress, which is a FEDERAL branch of government) and looking for alternative sources of energy. Instead, by the time Bush's OIL ass conservative chumpstain butt gets out of office, we will be even more environmentally f*cked than we were when he started...