Work-friendly sites to read?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Work-friendly sites to read?

Post by Sades »

Unfortunately I work in a call centre. Excellent money/benefits, tedious as **** when it's not busy as ****. :p I'm looking for some interesting things to read/look at in my downtime... I can only read so much news sites or Cracked.com and nationalgeographic.com, and we're not allowed to play games or watch videos (boo!).

Suggestions?
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Try ninjacloak or something. Just type it as one word on google, may be off about a vowel or two.

It's what I used at the military base that had all sorts of protection. Let me bypass and open up youtube videos, if it can do that for an army base, it can do it for your workplace.

It's basically a browser within a browser.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

She probably shouldn't do that. We run a call centre where I work, and everyone in the front office thinks of the phone workers as subhuman and basically treat firing them as a sport. And we're one of the good ones. She probably doesn't want to give her bosses any excuses.

My condolences for having to work with call centre staff. :(
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Earlier generation e-ink readers are pretty cheap, thanks to Amazon/Sony/Kobo/etc. keeping releasing different models.

Couple that with Calibre and find a bunch of public domain / out-of-print content or good sites with RSS feeds to download using it, and it's kind of like living Star Trek.
Hound

Post by Hound »

She's not looking for a way to watch videos at work so much as she's looking for suggestions on entertaining sites to go to other than youtube.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I worked for the state parole office in Cleveland, and their net access was very limited. However, I did find some of the state sites we were allowed to browse very interesting. One from the DNR told you how tall the tallest tree of every species in Ohio was and where the tallest was located. Turns out there are some very tall oaks in Ohio.

And the department of corrections site gave the recipe for "food loaf". Bread crumbs, gelatin, pureed vegetables, milk, and other goodness mushed into a loaf-like form, served on a styrofoam plate with no utensils. It was the meal for inmates in solitary who still couldn't behave themselves and lost their proper food privileges.

So I'd suggest random digging, not only for the thrill of the dig, but because sometimes you find fun things where you wouldn't expect them.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Notabot- have done, still do. But after awhile, even that gets old. And it can't be too interesting, because it will distract me from my work. ;)
Denyer wrote:Earlier generation e-ink readers are pretty cheap, thanks to Amazon/Sony/Kobo/etc. keeping releasing different models.
Oh yes. This shall happen, but I've only been at the job for a month... funds for extra stuff like that aren't quite there yet. But it shall happen.
Warcry wrote:She probably shouldn't do that. We run a call centre where I work, and everyone in the front office thinks of the phone workers as subhuman and basically treat firing them as a sport. And we're one of the good ones. She probably doesn't want to give her bosses any excuses.

My condolences for having to work with call centre staff. :(
Ha, thanks- No worries, I've been down this road before.

But yeah, looking at lolcats and reading about The Top 10 Reasons Why Your Blender Will Make You Do Jumping Jacks or something is getting old.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The only site I actually use RSS with is Metro UK (it's fluff news, but fairly neutral reporting) ... others I'd probably go for are BBC News (lots of stuff that isn't actually news, per se) ; Wired ; Slashdot -- again, more articles than news.

Lots of webcomics have RSS feeds. I haven't tried this, but woofy or Comica might be able to get runs of them. The images could then be collated into PDFs for use on a device (various methods, such as this.)

If you can access a site you can paste large amounts of text to, that might be an interim solution for books?