New Cybertron test shots on eBay: Optimus Prime and Megatron.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

New Cybertron test shots on eBay: Optimus Prime and Megatron.

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Unless you can spot anything altered, I reckon they're just old Galaxy Force proofs.

Flame Convoy, assuming I've remembered the name correctly:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... cN__Stores

Previous auction from the same seller...

Yellow tracks test shot:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Denyer
Unless you can spot anything altered, I reckon they're just old Galaxy Force proofs.

Takara test shot tend not to leave the factory due to better security. Hasbro stuff, on the other hand, is making up 99% of the "prototypes" we see on eBay or provided by people like P.Prime, S250 and charle5!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Wonder when Hasbro's actually going to work on stopping this.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Wonder if they really want to.

I mean, you kinda have to wonder at this point...
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Oh, definitely. The "leaking" of the overload prototype that lead to the "OMG! Ultra Magnus!" hype probably did more to generate interest than it it had not been leaked, and was allowed to be originally be introduced to the public as Ultra Magnus.

I guarantee that by releasing the uncolored prototype, they trusted that people would make the Ultra Magnus connection and would become interested in the mold. Personally, I might not have bought it if I hadn't seen the Ultra Magnus connection, and I probably would not have made that connection on my own if it were released in Overload colors simply because I would be more focussed on the colors than the mold.

By allowing it to be known as Ultra Magnus, this got people talking about the mold and the word was spread. A mold that is mediocre at best isn't that bad if it has some homage factor in many the consumer's mind.

The Ultra Magnus factor definitely played a part in my buying the mold as much as the lure of Magna Jet Convoy ( :headbang: ). :up:
AutobotJazz
Protoform

Post by AutobotJazz »

As they say...'theres no such thing as bad publicity.'
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

There's a huge difference between the Overload/Ultra Magnus incident and what we regularly see on eBay.

OverMagnus WAS an actual prototype. All grey, not even remotely finished. Hasbro had a reason to have it taken down. It might have not even been patented yet at that point.
Prototypes usually never leave Hasbro's or Takara's offices, and if they do so, they will no doubt do something about it.

The only times we ever see real prototypes are when Takara is sending out pics to Japanese magazines or retailers. All grey Binaltech Overdrive. Binaltech Smokescreen GT with all grey remolded parts. The all grey Galaxy Force protos from various online stores.

What we see on eBay are "test shots" from various stages of the production run. They're done to test how the molding or specific color scheme combinations works, or to present them to dealers or on conventions. They're usually ordered to be destroyed after they served their duties, but instead some Chinese factory workers sneak them out and sell them to proto dealers. This is where Takara's security is working better than Hasbro's.

It appears Hasbro can't really do anything about that (instead of improving security). Therefore, they intentionally mark or even damage the test shot molds. The "NOT FOR SALE" markings, off-colored faction symbols or Cybertron Thundercracker's bent rear wings are examples that spring to my mind.