Franchises--other collecting hobbies you've just dropped over the years?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Franchises--other collecting hobbies you've just dropped over the years?

Post by Knightdramon »

Simple thread really---what other hobbies/collecting into other franchises have you dropped over the years, and why? Is the same thing happening/going to happen with TFs as well?

For me...

1) Videogaming. Not so much a drop, but a steep decline in gaming hours per year. PSX time, back in primary school, could play for like 8 hours per day. Literally. Not anymore. Been following one franchise [Dead Space] nowadays, and like...1 year later, still have not purchased Dead Space 3. God of War is another franchise I followed, but still have not purchased the last game [out last year or so]. Completely dropped Resident Evil at 5. Only played the walking dead game by telltale games [which was a very good videogame/story regardless if you are a fan of the series or not].

2) Hot Toys and their lines. For those of you who don't know--Hot toys is a massive 1/6th scale figures company that produces some AMAZING movie figures. Years ago you could even sell the figures and make back twice the money, thus keep shuffling your collection around. Last 2 years, prices have gotten INSANE for new releases, too much coming out, it basically cut me off the game. Plus, the fan/semi official forums for the lines basically charged you 25 USD for posting in the B/S/T forums. **** that.

3) Macross. Still enjoy a GOOD figure [seriously, yamato and arcadia macross figures are just gems. Bandai not so much] but the fandom is just terrible. One of the saddest fandoms I've known when it comes to blatant elitism in a very minimalist franchise.

4) Slooooowly getting there with TFs as well. The vast majority of the fandom just irritates me day after day [some "great" threads and people over at tfw2005] and it's sad to see what kind of crap the franchise has let in [in terms of "fans" and supporters] with the movies in the past 7 years. If I could just get wordless news on new MP releases I'd be perfectly happy :lol:

Any similar experiences? Do you attribute it to yourself? Money? Age? Fandoms?
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Nah, I still love everything. As much as I enjoy video games I really don't spend that much time playing them, maybe a couple of hours in a good week. I found was that I've always much preferred reading about games, and now I enjoy watching Youtube videos of them rather than playing.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Shuffled on a lot of ex-TSR (A)D&D game world novels. Paper copies, anyway, they've been around digitally for years and go for pence online if I wanted to re-read most. I don't re-read things much now; there's always something new to get to.

Didn't keep MOTU as a teenager, and went a bit completist with 200x MOTU before exclusives took the fun out of it and I came to the conclusion the fiction was lacking. MOTUC is preferable, and for the most part I'm sticking to Snakemen, Horde and Great Rebellion figures... POP had more depth to it, for the most part.

Transformers (figures) and other toys get periodically culled a bit, but I'm fine with that, don't expect everything to be retained, would rather keep things to really appealing pieces that hold interest. Don't pay that much attention to what other people do with their collecting.

3P is a current fascination, and I love creativity that extends to engineering of what're essentially obtainable customs. Not bored, but not in a big rush for things to turn up. Patience is a quality that seems sorely lacking in most of the fandom's men-children; surely they must have other interests and diversions?

Re: Telltale, by the time Wolf Among Us comes out for regular Android, we're going to have full walkthroughs of the entire five-episode game. Hoping a sequel might be in the works. Lots of scope to set this kind of interactive fiction in the Fables universe.

edit: Shouldn't this be in the non-TF forum?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Ooh there's been a few..I generally get things either on a whim, out of curiosity or I just like them in the way children instinctively like things, because they're 'cool'.

Character's Doctor Who figures. After a slow start (The Ninth Doctor & Rose were initially only available in 2 RC Dalek Battlepacks for Christmas 2005), the line really hit its stride during Tennants run. The 5" figures were generally of a very high quality, at a good price (£7 each) and it was easy to amass a decent collection without much fuss.

Invariably, Character quickly cottoned onto the collector market producing figures and sets based around the classic era of the show.

The line is a pale shadow of itself now, catering exclusively to collectors with a continuing series of niche expensive sets and figures, whilst the main line, based on the current Doctor has pretty much died a death (not really helped, it has to be said, by Moffats era producing more esoteric monsters that don't work as toys) and has now been reduced to dreadful farty 3.75" figures.

I'd amassed quite a sizeable collection of the 9th & 10th Doctors eras (including TARDIS playset) and the initial build-a-figure Classics collection (a gimmick I can't stand). I've sold the lot now, although I have kept all the Eleventh Doctor stuff (including the TARDIS playset which I got for an impressive £8 from Amazon).

With the line having died off, it made it very easy to just give up on Who toys. I'm not really wanting to lay down £30+ on some 'collector figure'

He-Man. I bought a bunch of the villains from the 2002 reboot line. Still have them and think they are incredible. Kind of wish I'd picked up the good guys as well, but am happy with the ones I have.

Ghost Rider. I love Ghost Rider, my favourite Marvel character aside from Death's Head. I had a bunch of the Toy Biz figures proiduced in the 1990s, but sold those on when toy companies learnt from Todd McFarlane to produce some proper good action figures. I have the Ketch rider on his bike, Blaze on his bike (which is frickin' awesome, much as it pains me to admit it as I don't really rate Blaze) and the blue flame Ketch figure from a couple of years back. I did have Vengeance, but they'd made a piss poor job of him so sold him.

G.I.Joe - picked up a handful of the recent movie tie-in figures off the back of being really impressed with Agent Helix. They're as good as the figures I had when I was small and look good with Axer and Sideways from RID. Just a random purchase. I just bought a few cos they were on clearance and were cheap, when the shelves were empty, that was that. And thats fine.

Scud The Disposable Assassin. Overjoyed to discover Hot Toys had made a figure of this guy from one of the best comic books of the 1990s (check out the complete edition The Whole Shebang! if you've never read it - its good fun). I think he's the only action figure I have in his box. Cost me $9 too! cheap.

Thundercats 2011 figures. Yeah they were all remaindered and cheap in Home Bargains, so I have the Cats and a Mumm-ra and the Tank. In two minds whether to keep them or not.

TMNT - 2012 reboot, all four from the first wave plus April. Really liked the cartoony sculpts and top job done bringing these guys up to date. Same as the Thundercats...might sell these.

Randoms : Arkham Asylum Catwoman and Harley Quinn, Castlevania Succubus, Hobgoblin on his glider, Blackheart.. all figures that caught my eye and I still have. Ditto 3.75" Spider-man 2099, Amazing Spider-man and Lizard (from the 2012 film)

Pfft...what else..? Oh yeah, I LOVE those Ame Comi statues. I have 6 (Batgirl, Huntress, Poison Ivy, Cheetah, Zatanna, Supergirl) and thats as many as I'll ever own. The initial batch were pricy at £30 - £50, but these days they range from £50 - £70+ so are a bit much for me. I think these are the only time I've been totally sold on the whole PVC statue thing. They're just so darn cute.

Monster High Dolls. I'd thought these were cool since they launched, but managed to resist until Asda had Venus McFlytrap as a halloween exclusive and she looked so frickin' righteous in her punky get up I cracked and bought her. Early this year, some made it to clearance, some festival ones or something, so I have a second version of Venus in festival get up, Abby Bomniable and Clawdeen Wolf. They're still boxed.

Lego Lego Lego...had various dabblings with this (er along with everything else it seems!) and go through phases of picking stuff up. Bought a fair bit of Castley stuff this year. Still have my Lego Farm and some Galaxy Force and long ago sold off all my 1984 - 88 Castle sets and City stuff. Just through lack of space.

I dunno, I suppose I'm still kind of childish, I have phases of being into things, then something else will come along and I'll put things aside for a bit before coming back to them. Although this has turned out to be a BIG list, I have been clearing out loads of stuff over the last few years. Mainly just because of space.

I've been finding it very easy to let go of a lot of Transformers lately. I think that as much as I like this stuff, its value dimishes if it has to sit in the loft, so I'm slowly whittling things down to small groups of stuff that I really like and selling the rest. seems to be working out alright. And keeps me sane. The general decline in quality across the board with action figures makes it easy to move stuff on. I'm trying to be a bit more quality focused these days, but some flashy pretty coloured crap will always grab my attention.

Or Cliffjumper's Gobots. which I've bought about 12 or so of. They are ace.

Ooh just remembered I spent a fair bit of time tracking down complete runs of Garbage Pail Kids stickers. Have all 16 (15? I forget) original series, the UK '92 garbage gang stickers (just for the cool rubbish tip borders) and the first of those Flashback runs (just the base set, can't be arsed with all those 'chase' cards and that), plus the All New series 1- 7 from the mid 2000s. I love these cos they are just vile and very funny.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

For about one summer, I was very into buying guitars. Real ones. Electric, acoustic, classical, bass. I went nuts on Craigslist, even doing some transactions in other states while on vacation. I then realized that I had way more guitars than talent, and started selling them. I wound up turning a very nice profit that more than paid for the ones that I kept. Best "flip" was a POC guitar that came with a very nice case and stand and a few other accessories. I paid $20 for the whole lot, sold the guitar for $40, the case for $80, the accessories went to a friend, and I kept the stand.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Knightdramon wrote: 4) Slooooowly getting there with TFs as well. The vast majority of the fandom just irritates me day after day [some "great" threads and people over at tfw2005] and it's sad to see what kind of crap the franchise has let in [in terms of "fans" and supporters] with the movies in the past 7 years. If I could just get wordless news on new MP releases I'd be perfectly happy :lol:
I'm actually at a similar point with you on this. I became disillusioned with the fandom a long time ago, but that isn't the reason I've distanced myself from Transformers collecting. It first started when Animated came on the air, followed by the first movie, where I wasn't fond of of the designs either put out after the more "traditional" look of the A/E/C toys, and as time passed by, I looked at the A/E/C toys I bought and realized that I don't have any particular attachment to those toys either (the only reason I've kept them is fear of that changing at some point in the future), so I pretty much stopped caring about modern TF toylines and decided I'd want to focus solely on reissues of G1 toys, ones that I actually wanted as a child. Sure, the Classics/Generations toys are homages to those old toys, but they're still only homages.

...though I'd probably still buy them if I wasn't blowing all my budget on other, much more expensive toylines.

And if I wasn't running out of display space.

Apart from that though? Back when my TF collecting was in full swing, I used to buy loads of movies, on DVD and blu-ray. That has kind of waned as well, but that's mostly because I decided to take a break and actually watch all the titles I'd already bought but still haven't watched before getting some new ones. I bought the box set of Star Trek TOS on blu like three years ago and I'm still not even halfway done with the final season.

I also bought quite a few comic book action figures. Kinda lost interest in those too, but probably because the few characters I wanted I already got, and there's just too many damn versions of Superman to choose from. But at least I got the Adam West/Burt Ward Batman and Robin so there's that...
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

What happened to the Thundercats reboot/revamp from a year or so back. Has it died a death?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, the show was cancelled mid-arc (not that it was very widely shown) and the figures didn't sell particularly well.

Shame -- I was really enjoying the show, and liked it bouncing from style to style. I suspect it was a bit too unfocused for kids.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Channel 5 were running Thundercats not so long ago. As Denyer states, the flip-flopping of the styles and types of stories the show did made it difficult to keep up with and to work out if you'd missed a bunch of episodes or not, which was a shame.

That fourth episode about those wee tree people was incredible.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Ah that's a shame. Not that I was a massive fan, but it would've been nice to see another 80's toon succeed.

This thread reminded me I was totally into Star Wars for a few years. Loved everything about it and had quite a few toys.

Then one day I had a comic and there was an advert for Transformers with Bluestreaks box art. Suddenly Star Wars meant almost nothing to me as my world changed to incorporate giant sodding robots.

That's got to be pretty galling for a parent, seeing their kid change toy allegiance seemingly overnight.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I usually don't 100% drop something that I'm interested in, but a lot of things that I was quite fond of have sort of become afterthoughts over the years.

I was hugely into Star Wars throughout the late 90s and early 2000s. I spent tons of cash on books, games, toys (mostly Lego), and such. But in the last decade, I've probably spent under $50 combined on anything with the Star Wars label. The brand as a whole has meandered so far off from what attracted me in the first place that I just don't feel much fondness for it anymore.

Even before that I was a big fan of Star Trek, first TNG when I was younger and DS9 as I grew up a bit. I had a lot of the toys when I was younger (actually still do, come to think of it...brought them home from my parents house along with some other stuff I'd left there), lots of model ships and such too. But Voyager and Enterprise lost me, I have to say (though the last season of Enterprise did catch my eye before it got cancelled). The DS9 "relaunch" novels caught my attention for a few years in the mid-2000s, but after Pocket axed them to clear the way for a Star Wars-esque continually escalating series of galactic mega-wars and catastrophes my interest quickly waned again.

The fact that there hasn't been a legitimately good Star Trek movie since First Contact doesn't help, either...

I also used to be a big fan of Lego, as I mentioned above. But since I'm not really interested in Star Wars stuff anymore and they barely even make proper Castle sets, I'm having a hard time even remembering the last few sets I bought for myself (I grabbed an A-Wing out of curiosity last year or the year before...before that, I dunno). Though oddly I still buy the stuff a fair bit, except that now it's as gifts for my niece and nephew, who are both really into it. For myself, though, I'm basically down to a handful of collectible minifigs each year and nothing else.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

For the most part I've stuck with most of the fan does I've always been into, but they've come and gone over time again and again. So at the moment I'm really enjoying the Spider-Man comics and trying to collect figures of all his costumes while I have star trek DVDs sat on my shelf unwatched. This time next year, I might have finished TNG and be desperately trying to locate a model Voyager while my spidey books aren't being picked up until weeks after release.

That being said, I'm a bit of a whipper snapper compared to some of you guys, so some things might lay forgotten in a decades time. As a kid, I was super into star wars, whereas now it's all-but-confirmed forgotten. Every now and then I might watch one of the original trilogy, and I do have a couple of figures and t-shirts, but I wouldn't think of myself as this huge fanboy.

Really, the only two things which I've maintained a constant, obsessive interest in are Transformers and Nintendo, which I more or less live my life by. And the only real experience I have of the TF fanboy is you lot, and you're pretty cool.
Auntie Slag wrote: I found was that I've always much preferred reading about games, and now I enjoy watching Youtube videos of them rather than playing.
I've been finding this. Once I get really into a game, I can sit down and play it for days at a time, finding myself sat in front of the TV at 3 am still thinking it's ten in the evening. On an average day, though, I spend more time reading games magazines or watching youtube stuff and chatting on forums.
I like bears.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

DC comics, both toy-wise and comic-wise, at around the Infinite Crisis point where everything became bullshit. I still enjoy the occassional comic book before the Crisis shit, and Warcry recently directed me towards a new Batgirl ongoing which was cool, and I do watch some of the movies and the Arrow series, but other than that my love for DC comics have been hugely whittled away. Stopped collecting the figures around after the JLU series ended.

Star Wars, though I've never been hugely interested in a huge portion of it. I read a lot of the novels, especially the Yuuzhan Vong and Clone Wars stuff, and while I did enjoy Clone Wars the cartoon and did collect the toys for a bit my interest has steadily declined -- it's not a matter of quality either, because I do like the cartoon, I just kind of lost interest. They have a new show planned out and a bunch of extra episodes for the original stories, but I dunno. There's at least three novels sitting on my desk I haven't touched. A huge chunk of the new content is also about the Old Republic which I don't give a damn about.

Pokemon was a huge part of my childhood, but due to not owning a DS I stopped playing and following the news after the third generation. Two years ago I returned in a HUGE way, playing all the games released and catching up with the manga, and other than the B2/W2 games I've played a version of every mainline games, so it's a case of me dropping and picking it up again.

What else? Gundam, I think. I collected a couple of the model kits and played the Warriors game which summarized a lot of the earlier series, but partly because there is a lot of accessories to keep track of and partly because of a general lack of interestand because I like Transformers better I dropped out entirely.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I've never been that into DC's stuff, aside from various Vertigo things. I have the odd dabble with Batman (loved Black Mirror and Batman RIP) , really enjoyed Stephanie Brown as Batgirl and was actually gutted when her series got cancelled to bring Barbara Gordon back :( Stupid comics.

I'm currently reading Y The Last Man (yeah, only a decade late!) and that's ace. Haven't really seen much else that Vertigo have done that's been of interest - the imprint's heyday to me was the 1990s with Doom Patrol, Shade The Changing Man, Preacher and Transmetropolitan.

Also enjoying Image Comics' Fatale, Lazarus & Velvet. I am surprised to see Image has gone from an imprint publishing books about uber nimrod Superheroes to a cool 'mature readers' imprint in the vein of Dark Horse (now sadly a shadow of its former self) and Oni Press (do they even still exist?).

Like Summerhayes, I am also really into Spider-Man at the moment (I get the UK digest comic) as Dan Slott's writing is just great. I am still not a fan of Marvel feeling the need to constantly do something 'radical' to Spider-Man. The character is at his best just doing soapy superheroics. Cobblers like all that erasing his marriage to Mary Jane and killing him to replace him with Doc Ock is just comic book excesses at their very worst. And I say this having suffered 1990s Spidey which was uniformly terrible (Parents Back From The Dead - Oh no, they're just crappy clone robot things. Great. MJs super subtle I AM A SMOKER. SMOKING IS BAD plot line,Maximum Carnage, The Clone Saga...bleurgh).
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Skyquake87 wrote:killing him to replace him with Doc Ock
Wait, what?

What the hell?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yes, its true.

With Spider-Man heading back to the silver screen for a sequel and a lot of goodwill towards Dan Slott for his excellent wee story arcs, the 'House Of Ideas' came up with the wizard idea to kill Peter Parker and have Doc Ock inherit his body.

It kind of works, largely thanks to the charm of Dan Slott's writing, and it has been interesting to see Doc Ock actually become a far more effective vigilante than Spider-Man. sadly, its quickly fallen into the inevitable 'he's really a villain so he's gong to do something horrific angle' rather than the potentially more interesting development of having Ock work hard to use his new lease of life to actually be good. But then there's never any doubt that this was going to be a permanent fix, in the same way Superman didn't stay dead and Batman managed to overcome being paralysed and all the Marvel superheroes managed to come back after being killed off in Onslaught. Its just all so stupid and unnecessary, and shameless sales chasing nonsense.

Spider-Man is one of Marvel's greatest creations - if not their signature character - so why they feel the constant need to piss on their own chips with him is beyond me. Its not enough just to have a well written well loved character, there has to be all this silly b*ll*cks to go with it and its extremely aggrivating.

In other Spidey news, Miguel O'Hara - the Spider-Man of 2099 has made a comeback! Yaaay! sadly, he's stuck in the present day, so just becomes one of the ten a penny not-the-real-Spider-Man Spider- Mans clogging up the present day Marvel Universe trying to make the future a better place by working to steer the direction of the all-consuming Alchemax corporation that pretty much runs the future time O'Hara is from. Hopefully Peter David will get him back to the future sharpish as Marvel's 2099 universe was genuinely great (at least it was before they killed everyone off in that awful 1996 crossover to wind the imprint up as Marvel lurched into bankruptcy and had to trim all its titles down).

Sigh. Marvel. Aren't they great?

At least they've got the new Ghost Rider launch right by doing away with everything that's gone before and bringing a fresh new take to the character. It'll probably last 12 issues knowing how well the majority of comics fans take to new versions of things they like.

Also reading Warren Ellis Moon Knight from Marvel. Its kind of creepy and horrible, but also feels a bit like Ellis is on autopilot, which is a shame. It has that kind of mid 2000s not much happens in an issue feel, but somehow pulls it off.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Skyquake87 wrote:I've never been that into DC's stuff, aside from various Vertigo things. I have the odd dabble with Batman (loved Black Mirror and Batman RIP) , really enjoyed Stephanie Brown as Batgirl and was actually gutted when her series got cancelled to bring Barbara Gordon back :( Stupid comics.
Stephanie Brown's short run was great. Another book cancelled too soon. I wish they'd produce a collected trade for the run.
Skyquake87 wrote:I'm currently reading Y The Last Man (yeah, only a decade late!) and that's ace. Haven't really seen much else that Vertigo have done that's been of interest - the imprint's heyday to me was the 1990s with Doom Patrol, Shade The Changing Man, Preacher and Transmetropolitan.
Vertigo still put out great comics. Try The Unwritten, Sweet Tooth and Hinterkind. They are all really good. Astro City was recently relaunched and is excellent as ever. And if you like Y give Ex Machina a read too.
Skyquake87 wrote:Also enjoying Image Comics' Fatale, Lazarus & Velvet. I am surprised to see Image has gone from an imprint publishing books about uber nimrod Superheroes to a cool 'mature readers' imprint in the vein of Dark Horse (now sadly a shadow of its former self) and Oni Press (do they even still exist?).
The number of quality creator-owned comics that Image is putting out is impressive. Brubaker, Rucka, Hickman, Remender and many others all produce great comics at that publisher. Plus Chew. Chew is awesome!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Skyquake87 wrote: really enjoyed Stephanie Brown as Batgirl and was actually gutted when her series got cancelled to bring Barbara Gordon back :( Stupid comics.
Yeah, grew up with Babs as Oracle and competent as hell (plus enjoyed a fair amount of Birds of Prey) so going back to Batgirl feels like a massive downgrade for the character. Bloody man-children editors always trying to reset the clock.

That's not to say I don't appreciate Batgirl: Year One and silver age stuff, but Oracle's a tech-style hero besides being inspirational to other people in all sorts of other ways.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

@Neuronutter - the entire Stephanie Brown has been collected in two trades. I have the second one 'The Lesson', which I picked up in a secondhand shop. There is a first volume out there, but can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

@Denyer - yup, I loved Oracle too. BOP was a decent read and really made something of Babs other than being the tech girl Batman sometimes relies on.

Heard many good things about Ex-Machina. Will have to check that out...before I die.

Picked up an awesome book today - Death Sentence by Montynero Dowling which is all kinds of fun. Not got far with it - its about three kids that get infected with a virus that gives them powers but will kill them in six months. Artwork is lovely - reminds me a bit of Sean Philips.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Steph Batgirl -- Vol 1: Batgirl Rising, Vol 2: The Flood, Vol 3: The Lesson.