Cliffy + Student Loan into Comic Shop = Comic Ramblings!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Cliffy + Student Loan into Comic Shop = Comic Ramblings!

Post by Cliffjumper »

I like comics, I really do.

Avatars - Covenant of the Shield: Wicked medieval take on the Avengers mythos! Well worth it for any sword 'n' sourcery [sp?] fans out there! And 'Blackthorne' rocks so hard Sharif don't like it!

Uncanny X-Men 401/Annual: 401's pretty wicked, considering it's a Nuff Said thing. Banshee's back and eh's bad, but without the notes there's no bloody way I'd have recognised Jamie... The Annual is abysmal. That art may be considered cutting edge by the sort of people who don't read comics, but it's un-bloody-readable.

Captain Marvel [Current series]: Two issues I've got are fab, despite the fact that Rick "Anyone want a sidekick?" Jones now looks like Craig David, as does Starfox. Peter David's one of the best writers in comics at the mo, which brings me on to...

X-Factor: Managed to get stuff from 3 different eras here... The first section, with Cyclops et al, is a bit hit and miss, and rather forgettable to be honest. The second era, featuring Havok, Polaris, Quicksilver etc. is fab stuff, Peter David again. The third era's another mixed bag, with Forge, Mystique et al, but well worth reading.

X-Man: Wow, this really changes direction with the end of the run! I'd had mixed feelings about Ellis' work on Excalibur, but he really gives Nate some new energy. #75 is a masterpiece.

Generation X: The early stuff I got is quite good, which surprised me. the later stuff [the Shockwaves four-parter] is very good, which again surprised me. But why, in the middle of the run did the artists decide to have the ages of the central characters? Emma Frost is possibly the sexiest woman in comic history.

Damn, I'm sure I bought much more than that... Oh yeh! The new Captain Britain trade [which is the Jasper's Warp storyline]. That's a fantastic read, despite the odd plot point of brain getting atomised a tenth of the way in... The stuff where Jaspers has contro of London is better than Days of Future Past.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

I loved Warren Elliss's work on Excalibure.

A dame good X-factor story is the Chris clairomont one from about 64/65 to 69 where Cyclopes has to give up little Nate thansk to Aookopllisps infulence.After inferno/maddie crap I really regained respect for Scott Summers with this story my fav Xfactor ever though Peter Davids run is the best.Some early stuff and character development like with Jean comming to terms with a different Scott, Angle was very good but I agree very hit and miss era.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Some of Ellis' stuff is great, and he had a little run from about 96-102 where it really looked like he was gonna turn the thing down, but from about #60 onwards they really lost sight of the fun side of things, which was what made Excalibur such a great book... it was just a second-rate X-book by then... Mind you, Pete Wisdom rocks. It's a shame they haven't carried him over into another book.

Strong Guy is one of my fave characters when he's written by David, and just when you think the book can't get any cooler, Pietro joins up AND Joi Lee starts drawing the thing!
Denyer

Hiya Cliff!

Post by Denyer »

Cool news... there's now a forum for non-TF cartoons & comics!

(Which is where I'm sliding this...)
BlueBlaster
Protoform

Post by BlueBlaster »

I got X-Factor #71-100 comics a month ago and Multiple Man and Strong Guy were great comedians.
New writers and what happens?One of Multiple Man's dupes got infected by the legacy virus and he got depressed and he gets killed.Couldn't they handle comedy with Multiple Man?
I have heard that he has come back and I wonder how they have handled with him now?
Hey, comics fans!
Visit www.fanboyradio.com . It's the weekly radio show about comics. Joe Quesada,Larry Hama,Brian Michael Bendis,Greg Rucka,Mark Waid and many other comics creators have appeared on the show.
yakumo
Protoform

Post by yakumo »

Bring back Multiple Man!!!!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

He is back, and he's in Uncanny X-Men #401, working for the sinister X-Corps, with Banshee...

Another bonus for X-Factor is that they let bloody Havok lead 'em. And he's as dumb as a post. Cue hilarity! Did I mention that Quicksilver's cool in it too? ;)

Other books I got a pile of were:

X-Men - The Hidden Years: Some very good stuff, but some middling on-running things [so-called 'Marvel Time', which doesn't actually work, the seemingly pointless inclusion of Havok and Lorna "Magnetrix" Dane], but some great Beast storylines, plus the issue which deals with the death of Angel's mother is a bona-fide classic.

X-Force: Hmm, still waiting to be wowed with this one. The new characters are about as interesting as a cartoon Autobot, while the only old crew they've kept along are generally very very annoying [Tabitha etc.], with only sporadic Cannonball appearances keeping it bearable. They should've axed the thing and given Sam his own series.

The Beast Limited series: Excellent stuff! As if the idea of the bouncing blue ball of fun isn't great enough, they throw in Cannonball! Highly recommended... if you can still find it!

Avengers - Celestial Quest: A massive change of pace and style from the regular series [is it from the Avengers Forever continuity does anyone know?], to be honest an acquired taste...

Iron Man [1996 stuff]: Why does everyone hate the teen Tony Stark thing so much? Okay, it's not the greatest idea, but the plots are as good as they've ever been...

Iron Man V3 #50: Hmm, is it me, or has Iron Man done a bit of a dive over the last year? It's a shame Busiek can't find time to write the thing along with Avengers. This ish is same-old same-old, with the standard plot of Stark being in a warzone, seperated from the armour....
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

The arrogant Peter David Quicksilver is one of my favourte all time characters.

Cliffjumper did you get PAD's last xfactor where there all in thearpy.Honestly its one of the funnyest issue si ever read.Espacially the PMS bit which I wont ruin for you if you havent read it:D

Oh and whos the writer of the capt Britain trade?
I though it was going to be Alan moores stuff?
If it is I'm getting it.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
X-Men - The Hidden Years: Some very good stuff, but some middling on-running things [so-called 'Marvel Time', which doesn't actually work, the seemingly pointless inclusion of Havok and Lorna "Magnetrix" Dane], but some great Beast storylines, plus the issue which deals with the death of Angel's mother is a bona-fide classic.
Lorna's inclusion is never pointless... ;)

I've only got the first few issues... with the oh-so dramatic "Jean is dead" shocker storyline... which falls down slightly on the premise that you know damn well they all have to be alive when the stories finish...
Denyer

Re: Cliffy + Student Loan into Comic Shop = Comic Ramblings!

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Generation X: The early stuff I got is quite good, which surprised me. the later stuff [the Shockwaves four-parter] is very good, which again surprised me. But why, in the middle of the run did the artists decide to have the ages of the central characters? Emma Frost is possibly the sexiest woman in comic history.
I'm assuming ye meant "halve"... and yup, whaddidahtellya? Emma Frost as a fifteen year old... you just feel, well, dirty...

Basically, everything switched for Age Of Apocalypse; the books got put on hold, and everything went loopy when they tried to pick up the pieces of a title halted after a handful of issues.

Good to hear that they're somewhat back on form, however; I must try to dig out something a little more recent.
Jonin
Protoform

Post by Jonin »

I used to spend *TOO* much money on comics when I was younger and have just gotten back into it again as of last year to some extent with Deadpool ( one of my fav. characters ) and the ongoing Amazing Spider-Man series, though it really really irked me when they reset the issues to a new series like they did...mind you I can see why with the horrid "Clone" bit that got way out of hand.

I used to collect the X-books and a multitude of others from Marvel as well as DC, Image, and Dark Horse offerings, but I just can't afford to keep up anymore.

Peter David is a great writer, I used to love the Incredible Hulk when he was writing it! :D

I find eBay to be a virtual treasure trove for Comics, I nabbed a great lot of old volume 1 Amazing Spider-Man issues like #24, #30 and others.... though I wish I had won the auction for #3 with Mysterio's 1st appearance...outbid by 0.50 cents! :mad: though I'd have kicked myself later for what I already had bid up to then.... :p
--------
=Jonin=
--------
Jonin's DeviantArt Page
--------
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1
The arrogant Peter David Quicksilver is one of my favourte all time characters.

Cliffjumper did you get PAD's last xfactor where there all in thearpy.Honestly its one of the funnyest issue si ever read.Espacially the PMS bit which I wont ruin for you if you havent read it:D

Oh and whos the writer of the capt Britain trade?
I though it was going to be Alan moores stuff?
If it is I'm getting it.
I'll keep an eye out for that X-Factor, I've only got about 10 David ishes at the mo...

Quicksilver's one of my favourite characters, full stop! He's better when he's good than evil, because he tends to be evil anyway.... bits like his swordfight with Shattershot in 'Executioner's Song' are wicked!

And the Captain Britain trade is the Jaspers' Warp storyline, by Alan "You'll never see Jaspers Warp again! MWAHAHAHAHA" Moore, with a foreword by Alan "I'll never have anything of mine printed by Marvel again! MWAHAHAHAHAHA" Moore. The storyline is better than the old Captain Britain trade, but there isn't anything which can quite match 'Tea & Sympathy'.

Yes Denyer, ya did warn me about Generation X's random aging problems... I mean, even Banshee looks about 20 at the most... I've still only got scattered Gen X issues, with the Shockwaves four-parter being the only vaguely recent thing... it was culled at about 80--ish when Marvel streamlined the X-titles, taking out Excalibur, Hidden Years, X-Man [the bastards!], Gambit, Bishop and maybe X-Factor too...

"Hidden Years" probably tries to do a little too much, tries to please everyone... it's like some fanfic where someone's set out to tie up all the loose ends... still, the original team rock, so what the hey!

'Age of Apocalypse' is one of my favourite storylines, but they did overkill it... suppose it could have been worse, they could have dragged the whole of the Marvel Universe into the thing [they should all have been affected, shouldn't they?] with titles like "The Man of Iron", "The X-Revengers" and "Kaptain Amerika"...