What do people want to see? Chat, etc.

Working area for reviews.

Moderators: Skyquake87, ganon578

Denyer

What reviews do people most want to see?

Post by Denyer »

What the title says, really.

Personally:

I'd like to see some review sets, maybe that we could use as showpieces—for instance, I think we now have reviews of all of the Double Targetmasters. I'd like to see the same with (eg) Minibots, with reviews contributed by a group.

Actually, I could do some of the Minibots if I ever grab time...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

For BW/BM, I'd really like to see reviews of all of the characters that appeared on the show. As far as BW goes we're not that far off, but we've got next to no BM reviews and only a handful of those (Tankor, Obsidian, Silverbolt and buddha monkey, IIRC) are show characters. If Brave Max or someone else with a large BM collection could pound out a few for us, it'd really help out a lot.

On a similar note, I'd like to see reviews of the most sought-after toys from other generations.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'd most like to see reviews for the Japanese exclusive G1 toys...

Victory and Zone especially...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I've split the ordering conversation.

Relevant bits:

Osku:
combined effort of reviewing a certain group sounds like a good idea. I need some kind of extra motivation to write reviews.

I could participate writing reviews for Beast Machines show characters. I've got photos taken of most of those.

fort_max:
As for what type of reviews I'd like to see, that's easy:

-More BW/BM, including the Japanese varieties (soon as I find a steady job, I plan to get off my ass and do something toward that, but in the meantime...)
-More Japanese G1
-More Generation 2

Knightdramon:
We're almost ready with Binaltechs, too. We only need reviews for BT1 Smokescreen, 3 Streak and 4 Hound. I can't write any because I don't own the figures...can anybody help?

New index is up, so plenty of room for Japanese 'G1' stuff if anyone's got any they can write up for us.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I've always been of the mindset that we should keep up with reviews for older lines (archive and all), but that it's also a good idea to have people working on the current lines. I think Alternators we'll have covered easily, but I'll be buying less Cybertron than Energon and would we may end up relying on more people for that line than we did for Energon.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

What about comparative reviews?

I know you have one or two reviews of the same toy e.g. G1 Shrapnel. Would it be acceptable to allow more than one review of the same toy as a general thing? Or would that be too confusing to the average viewer?

Like, there's toy reviews up of toys that I have, that I would have liked to have written a review for, but if you end up with five reviews of the same toy, I imagine that is too confusing. Is there a general rule of thumb?

I really want to write reviews but I just don't have a home internet connection anymore, or access to a camera. Aaarrrgh!

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Clay

Post by Clay »

It's been brought up before, so I'll just nick my post from the last time:
Originally posted by Clay
Not necessarily. On a site like this, where theoretically anyone can contribute, usually allowing only one review per toy helps facilitate diversity, as well as pressure people to write at a certain level of coherence.

Otherwise, we'd just get crap like this, along with 238 reviews of "TRUKK NOT MUNKEE!!11!!1"

That's it in a nutshell. If there were no restrictions, we'd have everyone reviewing G1 Optimus and no one going after Beast Wars and Beast Machines basics that weren't in the cartoons.

Of course, it's not an ironclad rule, either. If there's something you really want to review that's already been posted, review it anyway. Since you're a regular contributor, it won't be much of a consideration as to whether to upload or not, as opposed to the unfiltered chaos in that link...
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Thanks for the response Clay. I have my old Transformers from when I was a little Slag, and I'm missing out on reviewing as I get beaten to the crunch. Plus, if I were to purchase any now, they would be alternators, which have already been superbly reviewed.

No problem. And isn't vehicle mode Alt. Dead End just the sexiest piece of TF kit in the entire universe ever?:)
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Auntie Slag
No problem. And isn't vehicle mode Alt. Dead End just the sexiest piece of TF kit in the entire universe ever?:)

No, that would be the Binaltech ;) They do make great PR for a toy collection, and Dead End is one of the best.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Auntie Slag
Would it be acceptable to allow more than one review of the same toy as a general thing?
If a reviewer has something substantially different to say or add, it's fair enough... otherwise, wider coverage is preferred.
Batmanners
Protoform

Reviews I would like to see done.

Post by Batmanners »

Here is a quicklist of what I wouldn't mind seeing done, not that my canuck opinion matters, but here is my quicklist.

Cybertron:

-Red Alert (Euh, not the first one, the new one, with the big rocket my girlfriend likes to play with...j/k)
-Evac
-Mudflap

Also, I wonder, when are Cyb. sideways, Runamuck, Longrack, Blurr, Buzzsaw & gang coming out in Canada? I was even surprised to find the new Red Alert in Toys R' us today. Having no idea it existed scared me so much I lost 40$ buying it haha.

I also took a glance at the remodeled "product catalogue" and noticed something I found very weird. When you look at the new Sideways, you remember how it looked as an Energon figure, blue 80's muscle car. Then you look at Runamuck and realize it's the mold for the old Sideways. I found it very interesting is all. (edit, I did my homework and realize that Oil Slick and Treadshot also have the same mold, but have nothing to do with this subject matter =P)

Also the mold for Blurr seemed familiar (rolls eyes, and remembers Armada Blurr) and Buzzsaw....I believe is the mold from euh...Cyclonus was it?

And one last thing that really disappoints me. Brushguard and Overhaul. I'm disappointed at the lack of creativity.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
If a reviewer has something substantially different to say or add, it's fair enough... otherwise, wider coverage is preferred.

How about reviews for which the two reivewers have vastly different opinions? The two reviews could then be threaded into a debate-style article.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If they want to organise between themselves, sure.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Did anyone happen to get Robotmasters 13 thru 16?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Denyer
Did anyone happen to get Robotmasters 13 thru 16?

I've got the whole line mold-wise, but I already had the G2 jets from the RID release, and opted for the RM17 Victory Saber two-pack over getting the two figures separately. That's basically why that hole's in the site. :)

EDIT: would anyone care for reviews of the minicon two-packs, micron booster 3, LoC series 2, and other assorted small Transformers?

I've got all those, and it is a bare spot in the site. I just don't want to have to detail every figure individually. Maybe I could write a review for an entire wave at a time?
mAgic rAt
Protoform

Beachcomber

Post by mAgic rAt »

...uuhhh and second...where do all you guys get the pics from. I mean, my little beachcomber is kinda worn out. The blue buddy here is about 22 years old....

From other sites?
Or is that considered stealing?

---rAt----:eyebrow:
Peace & vegetable rights!
Clay

Post by Clay »

We don't use pictures from other sites (with the exception of members here donating pictures from their sites personally) because we like to have our own, original content. If you've got a digital camera, take a snapshot of the little guy against a white background. Even if he's beaten up a bit from years of play, it's still better to have a picture to go with it.

As far as posting your review, just start a new thread in this subforum, Toy & Merchandise Reviews, and paste it in there.
mAgic rAt
Protoform

claim Bruticus

Post by mAgic rAt »

Damn'

Gestalts are cool

, gonna do Gen 1 Combaticons

--rAt--:p
mAgic rAt
Protoform

reviewing quality + boxart

Post by mAgic rAt »

Well...

What about box-art? I understand pics, taken yourself, from you own bot really add autenticity to the review and TfArchive.

But well, I'n not gonna make my own box art...leave it open if it isn't yours?

Second, you guys think there a max lenght to a review? Or there should be? (I'm surprised you can write so much 'bout such little G1 figures)

I've seen nummbats G1 Powerglide review, or Auntie Slag's Warpath , there really cool, but kinda long as well.

Not to speak of A. Slag's review of Bumblebee's. What's the general opinion in de room tonight?
DDM
Protoform

Re: reviewing quality + boxart

Post by DDM »

Originally posted by mAgic rAt
Well...

What about box-art? I understand pics, taken yourself, from you own bot really add autenticity to the review and TfArchive.

But well, I'n not gonna make my own box art...leave it open if it isn't yours?

Second, you guys think there a max lenght to a review? Or there should be? (I'm surprised you can write so much 'bout such little G1 figures)

I've seen nummbats G1 Powerglide review, or Auntie Slag's Warpath , there really cool, but kinda long as well.

Not to speak of A. Slag's review of Bumblebee's. What's the general opinion in de room tonight?

Box art is just a picture of the figure in box, I think.

And as far as length, I use a simple rule. If it is so long that I wouldn't want to read through the whole thing, it's too long.