The Doctor Who 2014/15 Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

The Doctor Who 2014/15 Thread

Post by inflatable dalek »

August 23rd, with a "Feature Length episode" (a term that's causing all sorts of fun confusion from Americans in the TrekBBS thread who don't realise than in British TV that just means "Twice as long as normal" and as such are trying desperately to work out the average formal length of a proper theatrical film) in a episode about "Jack the Ripper".

Well, I suppose it had to happen sooner or later (though Vastra's first episode and the inverted commas at least suggest they're doing something different with it).

The first teaser trailer:

My watching of Poirot has had episodes in the last week with an insanely young looking Capaldi and Eccleston in them, the later was surprising as mentally he's one of those actors I think of as never really changing.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Vesta...? The freeze-dried curries from the 1970s? What?
inflatable dalek

It'll be a red hot, explosive episode.

And by remembering frozen food from the 1970's you're showing your age Granddad.

[/deflection]
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Ha! You may mock, but it seemed like food from the future! Like that Episode of Henry's Cat where they are eating little blue food pills and are spacemen on The Fabulous Flying Carrot...

Yes, its just like that.

On topic, ooh moody trailer.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hopefully the series will have a bit more whimsy than it seems to be starting off with.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

He had a fairly flamboyant costume and he started by talking about the colour of his kidneys, so I'm sure there will be ample whimsy. They always make it look moody in the adverts, because that's what everyone watches Doctor Who for. Right?
I like bears.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

New Teaser Trailer popped up the other day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbX4tNG_k3s
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

SPOILER! (select to read)
Hmmm... So we're getting the daleks again? They really need a good, long break...
I like bears.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hey, what episode is this from? Doesn't look familiar to me.

This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Silver Nemesis, by the looks of it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Spotted the script leaks news over lunch, and semi-spoiler-free write up here:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67963

Sounds good. :up:
inflatable dalek

The first episode is out there as well, I think part of the problem being it's getting screenings all over the world the best part of a month before it's TV broadcast meaning it's out there and ready to fall into sneaky hands a lot earlier than normal.

In terms of one of the long established but oft-ignored aspects of the show this season is going to be acknowledging, my bet would be on:

SPOILER! (select to read)
Susan. After all, he looks like a Granddad again now...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

That'd be cool. Unlikely to have chance to read scripts this week, but interested to do so.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I am avoiding all the leaks and whatnot (as usual) , being old fashioned and that (I like telly being a surprise, otherwise I may as well watch soap operas *shudders*).

I'm not quite so excited for Twelve, but will be interested to see where they take him.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

inflatable dalek wrote:Well, I suppose it had to happen sooner or later (though Vastra's first episode and the inverted commas at least suggest they're doing something different with it).
Stupid question: Did they ever explained where Vastra, her wife, and that funny alien warrior came from or was their backstories explained in other media (digital shorts, audio adventures, novels, or comics)?
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yeah, Vastra's backstory was explained away (i think) during 'A Good Man Goes To War' and some other lines of dialogue. Basically, Vastra woke up in Victorian London or something, set herself up as a private investigator and met Jenny along the way. They acquired Strax at Demon's Run after he was apparently killed - an extra on the Season 7 boxset that was available online has an amusing little short where Vastra goes over to Strax and bascially tells him to get up as he's not dead :)
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Sades wrote:Hey, what episode is this from? Doesn't look familiar to me.

Um...... The only thing I've seen that even compares to that is the first episode of the Super Sentai attempt at doing Spider Man.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

So....... Deep Breath......

I liked the way they handled the Doctor's post-regeneration whimmy-whams.

And how Strax survives in Victorian London continues to astound me.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Decent effort, assuming it hasn't changed overly much since the leaked copy I listened to a while ago. Can't quite hear him as the Doctor yet (or himself -- The Thick of It is quite strong in memory) but that's not unusual for a new regeneration.

Love that an old-school fan's been cast.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Once his personality finishes being stabilized, we'll have a better idea.

I did like the realization of his accent. And his eyebrows. He's got potential to be a lot of fun.

I also liked the undercurrent of fear. New life cycle, new problems, old companion wondering what the hell just happened.