Transformers Generations 'Thrilling 30' Toy News

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Blackjack

Transformers Generations 'Thrilling 30' Toy News

Post by Blackjack »

Since we don't have a thread for this...

The new Generations line is the one with the Voyager Blitzwing and Springer, the Deluxe IDW Bumblebee, Orion Pax, Megatron and Trailbreaker, and the big-ass Metroplex.

Also Legends (new Legends not to be confused with the old Legends Class, apparently approximately around the size of the old Scouts class? Not very sure myself) toys of Optimus Prime with Targetmaster Roller and Bumblebee with Targetmaster Blazemaster. Apparently they're a size class meant to interact with Metroplex.

Also, Megatron with Chop Shop, as well as Starscream with Waspinator. Images from Cybertron. Megatron seems to be loosely homaging the IDW miner body, and Starscream's basically the standard F15 design.
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

From the Transformers Club Store, we've got images of the Wrecker combiner team, repaints of the Fall of Cybertron Bruticus toy that do a poor job of homaging who they're supposed to homage. Pictures mirrored from Seibertron again.

Impactor is a retool of Onslaught with a new head and a new harpoon accessory in addition to Onslaught's original double-barreled gun. Shame Impactor's first toy is a repaint of such a terrible toy.

Roadbuster is a retool of Swindle with new head, and a new weapon based on the Energon Harvester from the Fall of Cybertron game.. Still seems to come with Swindle's original gun, though.

Twin Twist is a retool of Brawl with a new head and a new double-drill weapon. Also, as Knightdramon pointed out, he also still comes with Brawl's original gun.

Whirl is a retool of Vortex with a new head and a new gun. Like Roadbuster and Impactor, Whirl comes with Vortex's original gunblades. WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO POOR WHIRL

Topspin is a retool of Blast Off with, again, a new head and a new gun. And again, he still comes with Blast Off's original gun. Which is really strange since it seems to mean they kind of shortcharged anyone who brought the original Combaticons since apparently they can still fit in big chunks of weaponry into the deluxe class plastic allocation.

The Wreckers combine into Ruination. Ruination has a new head that homages Emirate Xaaron, and a paint scheme that homages RID Ruination of all things. That's right... they went through all the trouble to make new heads and accessories for Impactor, Whirl, Roadbuster and the Jumpstarters and decided to slap the ugly colours of random nobodies onto it.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Actually looks better as Ruination in that slim set up than it did as Bruticus.

Twin Twist does include brawl's gun as well, it's pegged onto his drilling thing in packaging.

As with a lengthy discussion at tfw2005, they were able to fit new guns in the existing sets at the expense of packaging them once again with Shockwave, Jazz and Prime :lol:

Really liking how Twin Twist comes out despite not liking the mould initially.

And yes, Hasbro could do better than homaging 5 bots to approximations of their vehicles with new heads on, paint that isn't that much indicative of them, combining them into a super robot modelled after a guy who was more of a political figure than a warrior and naming it after a decepticon combiner.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I don't mind the silly Xaaron head... if I ever bought these guys it'll be me going after the Jumpstarter, Impactor and Whirl homages instead of going after the combiner, but they basically screwed up all the effort made in the molding to homage the Wreckers just to make the combiner look like the RID dude.

(Bruticus/Ruination will always look better with the Brawl and Swindle molds as hands and the other two as legs. Blast Off makes for a terrible hand, and Vortex's got a ridiculous karate-chop hand)

I mean, sure, I would rather want brand-new Impactor, Whirl, Topspin, Twin Twist and Roadbuster molds, but still, as repaints meant to appeal to fans of the Wreckers this is a bit stupid. It's effectively killed off any interest I might have in buying, oh, at least Impactor and Whirl... shame, those new heads look nice. If they were decoed properly...

Oh well, at least I won't fork over more money to Hasbro for these, which is good.

EDIT: fixed the Brawl gun thing.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not exactly Blitzwing or Springer class, are they?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

No doubt everyone and their dog has said this, but they do a Wreckers combiner and don't have the helicopter guy be Rotorstorm?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

inflatable dalek wrote:No doubt everyone and their dog has said this, but they do a Wreckers combiner and don't have the helicopter guy be Rotorstorm?
Eh, since Rotorstorm would be coloured the same random shade of orange and purple as not-Whirl up there, I think it's for Rotorstorm's own good.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Man, I was excited when I read that they were going to release more Wreckers and then I saw this.... :wall:

Out of all those, I only like Twintwist, though not enough to pick him up. :(
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

I plan on getting Roadbuster, if only to steal his damned head for a custom.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Blackjack wrote:Eh, since Rotorstorm would be coloured the same random shade of orange and purple as not-Whirl up there, I think it's for Rotorstorm's own good.
Though there is a certain irony in the new Whirl toy having been through empurata.

Does anyone else think "Thrilling 30" sounds like the worst idea Enid Bliton ever had? "What was I thinking! It was hard enough to come up with characters for 7 plucky kid, let alone 30. I wonder how many I can get away with making dogs this time?"
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Has who has picked up the Combaticon version of these moulds tell me which is the best one? I'm put off by Whirl's colours but Roadbuster looks all right. I'd had my eye on Blast-Off previously but I'm not sure I like that all-white Topspin.

Actually no wait, I've no money to buy toys right now. Can't even entertain the notion.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Swindle/Roadbuster is easily the best, which isn't much... he's just a chunky block of a toy. Very sub-par and without the combining gimmick it's pretty forgettable.

Onslaught (and thus Impactor) is easily the worst. He's designed as the gestalt chest more than as an individual robot or a car. It's horrid.

The other three fall somewhere between. Vortex has grown on me a lot after some time, too, but make no mistake they're pretty sub-par.

I have drafts of reviews typed out, but it'll take some time before I post them.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

inflatable dalek wrote: Does anyone else think "Thrilling 30" sounds like the worst idea Enid Bliton ever had? "What was I thinking! It was hard enough to come up with characters for 7 plucky kid, let alone 30.
Is it 30 characters or is it just the 30th anniversary? (Not snarky. Honest question.) Either way the alliteration is quite silly.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

After just getting the Bruticus molds, I'm not too keen on the Wreckers especially from a quality standpoint. Maybe I'll cave when they arrive and I see them in person. Just by looks I think Roadbuster, Twintwist, and Impactor may be the only purchases. Whirl and Topspin look rather blah to me.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Not very 'thrilling'.

Hasbro should just give up with the Bruticus mould. It's just embarrassing. The only one of those figures that isn't a total disaster is Vortex. That's seriously how the Brawl mould is to do an arm? F**k me.

Not particularly interested in the Starscream / Megatron .... things either. They look to be Scout / Cyberverse Commander sized and look like some aborted Powercore Concept that someone's dusted down. The Targetmaster concept rather does Chop Shop and Waspinator a disservice - 'you are now no longer proper characters , just someone's gun'.

I am not feeling the thrills. The Wreckers deserved better.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I will probably pick up Impactor and Whirl on principal in the hopes they'll one day give us decent approximations.

Also, it amuses me no end that we're getting a five-figure set based on a single line joke.
I like bears.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

See, this is how you do Wreckers. High-res pictures of Sandstorm (an extensive retool of Springer) have surfaced due to someone getting some early samples (by one way or another).

Click here for an extensive Sandstorm gallery courtesy of Seibertron.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I do like Sandstorm. He looks so weird.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Sandstorm looks brilliant (and he could pass himself off as Sureshot when applying for a loan). Love the chunky mutton-chops grill effect. With a look like that he could be a hill farmer.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Securis

Post by Securis »

They've really got to come out with some voyager sized Optimus and Megatron figures in this series. Deluxe is too small to convincingly be in command of their respective armies.