• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2018-01-22, 01:47 AM   #5941
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

So, around me the POTP figures are slowly, and I mean SLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY starting to trickle in, so I went farther afield.

POTP Beachcomber - Hes a nice little figure. A bit bulkier than I would have thought, but a nice little figure.

POTP Evolution Optimus Prime - The vehicle mode is a bit iffy, but both Orion Pax and Optimus Prime are really good figures. The design on both is really good, the tilt on the Prime feet is great, and the stickers on mine are really well placed. Which I never thought I would point out as a positive thing....

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-24, 02:26 AM   #5942
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

I found TR Ramhorn at Aldi's today. At first, I just saw a Ptero laying on some other product. That was enough to make me look behind and around every other toy on the shelf until I found Ramhorn. I like the way the rhino head unfolds into tank mode. The rhino mode is very good representation of the G1 toy, and the rhino mode works even without the TM installed, so you can have both the beast and head at the same time.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-26, 08:37 PM   #5943
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I found a POTP Skullgrin on Wednesday. He's pretty underwhelming. Even if all you're comparing him to are the same-sized figures from Titans Return, the Pretender shell is really basic and doesn't do much, while the inner robot (who I refuse to call "Liege Maximo", ever) is pretty useless since he turns into a box and doesn't have anywhere near the same fun factor as head swapping. A definite step backwards.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-27, 05:45 AM   #5944
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

The local Wal-Mart finally got some more POTP figures in, which means if I'd waited a week I wouldn't have had to make a 3 hour round trip to get Optimus, but there you go. And for the second time of seeing him in person, I still don't want to get Rodimus. He just doesn't feel very dynamic. Maybe it's just me. I did wind up getting......

POTP Slash - Slash wound up being a bit of a test run, really. I wanted to see how my FoC Grimlock fit in with the POTP colorscheme, and it seems to work pretty well. Still, a female Dinobot..... It's a good design, and now I'm planning on getting the rest of the Dinobots.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-27, 04:45 PM   #5945
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

I've started collecting figures from older lines when I'm able to and I've started with BW Cicadacon, Ram Horn and Sea Clamp who when combined make Tripredacus.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-28, 11:14 AM   #5946
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Platinum Edition Battle Of Junk Clash
Snapped this up because I sold my RTS Wreck Gar a while back and have recently re-watched the Animated movie so had Junkions on the brain. It's a really nice set, for is basically money for old rope. You get Wreck Gar and Scrap Heap (the latter was difficult, if not impossible to find at UK retail) plus the 94th outing for the Classics Hot Rod toy (which I still really, really like), in a nice box with some great artwork on (even if this didn't actually happen in the film). The older moulds still stand up well, although Hot Road does seem quite dated even next to Wreck Gar / Scrap Heap. The paint applications and finish are just superb. I don't think I've seen a prettier version of Hot Rod, he just looks glorious, with a nice metallic cherry red 'stripe' that runs over the flame decaled hood and roof. The robot mode has some nice silver shins and some bright yellow plastics and it's just a lovely looking thing. The two Junkions also look excellent. On the face it, there's very little that's been changed from the original releases, just a more uniform paintjob for the two Junkions - Wreck Gar has some nice bronze pain on his forearms, whilst Scrap Heap's are yellow. Hasbro have also remembered that the Junkions aren't Autobots or Decepticons, so they've taken off the silly faction logos which is nice. They have some nice yellow flame decals and look great er, riding each other and the inventive transformation still impresses after all these years. Great stuff and more fun than I was expecting from a bunch of (impressive) repaints. This also seems to be one of the cheaper Platinum sets out there. Much like the Conehead and Triple Changer reissues, you can find this for around 30 online. Bargain.

RID Deployers Overload & Backtrack
I bought Overload simply because he looks ace, and was cheap enough and enjoyed the other Deployer I bought. Sadly, Overload isn't as much fun. His robot mode is hollow and static. lacking any articulation, despite how great it looks. It's puzzling, because whilst some compromises are necessary for the Deployer gimmick, I can't fathom why they'd need to scoop out the entirety of the robot to house it. That aside, the transformation is decent, if very much on the Legends side of things and the launching gimmick works well. Backtrack is a cute and devilish looking fellow and I like him very much. It's probably not that surprising to see that the Deployers have ended up cluttering up the shelves at B&M. They're not the greatest.

TLK Legends Dragonstorm
Another B&M find, this super cute and really well painted version of the three-headed dragon is fantastic. The sculpted detail and transformation are great and the paint apps in robot mode are excellent. Easily the best Movie Legends figure.

TR Roadburn
Finally managed to find one of these! It's not the greatest Legends toy, but as a fan of the Throttlebots, I'll take him. I'm hoping some of the others will pop up down the line. Wouldn't take much to turn this mould into Searchlight and TR Brawn into Rollbar, a new head and metallic paint would easily get you a Goldbug out of this mould too, which would just leave Freeway and Wideload. The robot mode is a little awkward looking and the alt mode looks like one of those weird big Minis - a small car that looks like it's been enlarged on a photocopier.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-31, 09:28 PM   #5947
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrad View Post
POTP Evolution Optimus Prime - The vehicle mode is a bit iffy, but both Orion Pax and Optimus Prime are really good figures. The design on both is really good, the tilt on the Prime feet is great, and the stickers on mine are really well placed. Which I never thought I would point out as a positive thing....
I got PotP Optimus Prime yesterday, and you're right on. The trailer is OK, just the cab seems a little disappointing. Otherwise, the robot modes are great like you mentioned, especially Prime. Just don't linger too long on his back. The front is amazing! The whole deal is a little much to transform, but once you get the hang of the panels it's pretty fun and I keep fiddling with the guy.

I can't say the same for my stickers though - the two Autobot emblems on the shoulders are just a touch off. They only had one in stock though, so I didn't have the option to be picky. Otherwise, OP gets a big from me.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-31, 09:53 PM   #5948
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Been a while...

PotP Battletrap is ace.

These are remarkably clever and complex wee figures - particularly Battleslash (the helicopter).

Only (minor) negatives are that there's not a good solution for the rotor in combined mode, and the combined mode knees are fairly pointless.

Oh, and to be really nit-picky, it would be nice if the helicopter could dock on to the car, but that's really just because I used to do that with my G1 figures as a kid. I can't really criticise Hasbro for not taking on board my particular childhood games when designing figures!

Anyhoo, big surprise, epic win. Roll on Flywheels.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 08:13 AM   #5949
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Encore Big Mission III
I've been wanting this set for a while, just for the neat looking Frenzy and Rumble who both have extensive tampographs, rather than stickers (and in an excellent bit of fan trolling are packaged with the opposing red/ blue artwork to the toys, for all your RIRFIB/ RIBFIR needs) and they don't disappoint. They are excellent, as is Laserbeak. Sadly, Overkill has fallen foul of the Encore line's rather sketchy quality control - the blue plastic used on his arms and legs seems to be incredibly brittle, as his right leg has just crumbled around the transformation joint.

Old 2018-02-02, 06:08 PM   #5950
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Picked up TR Repugnus on sale while at the grocery store. He's neat. The kicker is that the hip joint is super loose, so he doesn't stand up. I wrapped a tiny piece of clear Scotch tape around the peg, which helped but isn't a good long term solution. Should I try clear coat nail polish?

In the meantime, he can always sit around looking like a smiling cat with a chubby belly.

Old 2018-02-02, 07:35 PM   #5951
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

So, quite a few bad boys recently!

Third Part Kaon and Vos:

Because I love me my 3p MMC. Vos very much feels like a more fiddly old style 3P that's frustrating to transform, so he'll be staying in his nive creepy robot mode.

Kaon on the other hand reflects the "More like a toy you might actually buy in a shop" asthetic of Tarn and Autobot Megatron, chunky and a lot more fun than a guy who turns into a chair should ever be.

Legends Slugslinger: To complete my Decepticon Targetmasters. As everyone has said, this basic design is a winner and he looks great with his three pals. The targetmaster gun is a bit rubbish though, as is the naked girlies comic.

POTP Dreadwind: His lunchbox accessory is a bit cumbersome, but a lovely, ridiculous gairtish figure.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-03, 08:01 AM   #5952
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Takara Legends EX Deadlock
My, this is very nice. Lovely black repaint (which Takara do so well) of the Drift mould, to represent Drift as a Decepticon. There's some good heft to the thing too, which is a reminder how solid Transformers toys used to be. The blood red, white and gold gels together really nicely and the vehicle mode throws in some nice purple stripes. Figure also comes with two pistols, a katana and a massive rifle, plus an amusing comic. Good stuff!

Old 2018-02-03, 01:24 PM   #5953
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

I just got in the mail BW Prowl, Silverbolt and Ironhide, who can combine to form Magnaboss.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 05:28 PM   #5954
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

I went ahead and convinced myself that I needed a PotP Rodimus Prime to stand along side PotP Optimus (plus, my wife gave me the go ahead to buy him, which never happens... like ever).

Here's the deal - he's not great. I wouldn't peg him as an atrocity; he's simply OK as a figure. Issues aside, I keep fiddling with him, even though his transformation isn't anywhere near as smooth as Optimus, nor as openly articulated or good looking. Somehow, I just can't put him down. Maybe it's 'new toy' syndrome that will wear off, or that my son and I bonded on a short trip to go pick him up from the store, I don't know. He's fun to fiddle with, and the Winnebago mode is pretty solid.

All of that said, I would have a hard time justifying anyone to pay the MSRP on this guy, given all the issues.

Old 2018-02-06, 11:56 PM   #5955
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

That tracks with other things I've read about Rodimus. By most metrics, he's fair to poor, but is somehow still fun. Maybe his unique transformation and alt-mode makes him inherently more interesting than yet another car-to-robot.

Does the matrix gimmick hurt him much? I've been thinking that putting the evolution gimmick and opening chest compartment in the same figure would require too many compromises.

I found a MOSC BM Obsidian, who is no longer MOSC. He's pretty simple, but fun. Like Jetstorm, his bot mode loks better hovering than standing. I may have to make a stand for him.

A while ago, I figured out how to use PotP Slash to fill out Volcanicus' torso instead of the extra hands. So, I bought another one to do the other side. It looks good, and frees up the extra hands to make the larger feet. Here's a pic I took when I just had one Slash.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	volcslash.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	467.5 KB
ID:	11765  

Alleged "poems"
are not poetry
Old 2018-02-07, 03:04 PM   #5956
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
That tracks with other things I've read about Rodimus. By most metrics, he's fair to poor, but is somehow still fun. Maybe his unique transformation and alt-mode makes him inherently more interesting than yet another car-to-robot.

Does the matrix gimmick hurt him much? I've been thinking that putting the evolution gimmick and opening chest compartment in the same figure would require too many compromises.
He's interesting and different, that's for sure. Maybe that is why I keep fiddling with him - I can't think of any other figure that I own (I own all mass retail figs) that's even close to what Rodimus does.

The matrix gimmick does hurt him. I find that messing with Optimus' matrix is infinitely easier, and therefore it comes out quite a bit, or I'll even leave his chest open for display. Rodimus, on the other hand, is a bit of a chore to get to his matrix, as you have to lift half of his torso up to get to it. I don't mess with it too much, and when it's open it looks as though the matrix is in his stomach. Had they tried to re-engineer it into his chest they would have needed to find another place for Hot Rod's head, so there would have been some serious compromise.

Old 2018-02-07, 11:19 PM   #5957
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Cool. At some point I'll probably form a small pack of raptors, nice to know they might be useful for something as well.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-09, 04:50 PM   #5958
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

G1 Brainstorm

Considering the shape of this guy, I can't help but to feel I overpaid a little. Lot of loose joints, most of which I can't fix with just a screwdriver, and Arcana's faceplate is so loose that someone tried to fix it by jamming a bit of blu-tack onto it so it stays up against his forehead.

Tetsuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-11, 04:00 AM   #5959
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Cool. At some point I'll probably form a small pack of raptors, nice to know they might be useful for something as well.
I read one fan's idea that Volcanicus' weapon is hucking raptors at Decepticons, so there's two somethings.

I bought a loose CW Superion (w/Quickslinger ) today. I already owned all the Arialbots. But, with my orignal Alpha Bravo and Quickslinger being the legs of my all white Nova Prima, and Fireflight as an arm of my all red Betatron, Superion was reduced to having Blast-Off and Off-Road for legs. I has rigged Powerglide up in front of Off-Road to keep with the airplane theme, but it wasn't great.

Now, I have an proper Superion, again. I had to take apart the new Silverbolt's leg to detach Sky-Dive from Superion's shoulder. Sky-Dive worked OK in the other leg, and in Volcanicus, so I assume the issue was (is?) Silverbolt.

Other than that, the only issues are Quickslinger's landing gear being loose, and bopping him on the head, and some minor paint wear on Air-Raid's shins. He didn't come with weapons. But, the whole thing was only $100, and from what I've seen looking up Quickslinger on ebay, I wasn't going to find anything better.

Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Last edited by Tantrum; 2018-02-11 at 06:42 AM.
Old 2018-02-12, 07:22 PM   #5960
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
I went ahead and convinced myself that I needed a PotP Rodimus Prime...Maybe it's 'new toy' syndrome that will wear off, or that my son and I bonded on a short trip to go pick him up from the store, I don't know. He's fun to fiddle with, and the Winnebago mode is pretty solid.

All of that said, I would have a hard time justifying anyone to pay the MSRP on this guy, given all the issues.
Has the newness worn off over the past week? I skipped RP because I didn't like the looks of him. I saw Rodimus Unicronus today, and liked the cheesiness. But, I'm not sure I'll still like him once the novelty of the mold and deco are past. I don't really want a Leader size figure if I'm going to get bored with him quickly, and just have him as a display piece.

That's for Legends figures. I got PotP Battleslash and Roadtrap, who combine to make Battletrap. They're OK, but the priorities of the design team seem to have been a bit off. The individual bot modes are the strongest for each figure, and who gives a shit about them?

The vehicle modes are the weakest. The back of Roadtrap is clearly not a truck, and only one of his wheels spins freely. The sides of Battleslash show losts gaps where bot parts aren't even close to meeting. Both modes have a spot on the exterior where a TM/PM can attach. The box photos show them in bot mode. The instructions how them in matrix mode. Neither looks great.

Like with Volcanicus, the only mention of the combined mode on the package is artwork on the side. It's OK. He stands eye-to-eye with Deluxes, which is nice. He's got swivel joints on his waist and neck. There's ball joints in the shoulders, elbows, hips, knees and ankles.

You've got a choice to make for the knee and ankle articulation. If you leave Roadtrap's arms tabbed to his torso, Battletrap's legs look good (if a bit bulky), but have limited articulation. Untab them, and Battletrap can do more poses, but has arms flapping around his shin.

There's no weapons and, due to helicopter kibble on Battletrap's fists, he might not be able to hold them, anyway. He can hold Swoop's sword fine, but Slag's rifle won't aim straight. Prime Master weapon modes work, though, since the helicopter kibble fits in the ankle gap.

Overall, I like him OK but wish they hadn't bothered with the individual bots, and focused on the vehicles and combined bot, and sold them as a set. I'd've probably been more satisfied spending $20 on that box set than the $20 I spent on these two triple-changers.

Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Last edited by Tantrum; 2018-02-12 at 07:36 PM.