• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2017-01-20, 09:28 PM   #161
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

Bought Lionel Richie's greatest hits called Back To Front and a greatest hits record of the S.O.S. Band

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-20, 09:42 PM   #162
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Smile

That's awesome! Did you know he originally wrote 'My Destiny' to be the '86 movie's Unicron theme?

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-20, 10:24 PM   #163
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

Nope. Didn't know that.

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-31, 06:19 PM   #164
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I has bought some records recently! I got some old ones, but aside from Credit To The Nation and Fun-Da-Mental, I can't remember who else I'd bought and listened to, so they'll have to wait.

Hellyeah - 'Undeniable' (2016)
Going to see these with a chum in the next couple of weeks, so thought I'd best familarise myself with their oeuvre. This is really good!I love the groove and swagger of this lot. Really looking forward to seeing them and I've already forgotten that Chad Gray used to be painted up like a cow in third-rate Slipknot wannabes Mudvayne! Hooray!

Ming City Rockers - 'Lemon' (2016)
Aces grungey/ garagey rock 'n' roll by a band with a terrible name. Which was a good job, as this was a record I bought just because I liked the cheery rubber duck on the cover.

Misty Miller - 'The Whole Family Is Worried' (2016)
Nice bit of alt-rock not a million miles from early PJ Harvey / Manics, by professional Brian Molko look-a-like Misty.

Babymetal - 'Live At Wembley' (2016)
Currently found at giveaway prices at record shops up and down the land, and I can kind of see why. The live show is utterly faultless, to the point that it's a bit lacking in life. Although it is great to hear a load of burly metalheads singing along

Pete Tong with the Heritage Orchestra - 'Classic House' (2016)
Oh my God this is awesome.Everyone should have a copy. Its such a simple and obvious idea, playing all those cracking house records that had sampled orchestral sounds ... and having an actual proper orchestra play them. Sounds magic. Best this would be the most awesome thing live. If you're not convinced, look up 'Good Life' (sung here by Katy B) which is the standout tune off the album.

Once Human - 'Evolution' (2017)
Brutal second album from OH which is even more ferocious than the first. Good start to 2017!

Depeche Mode - 'Spirit' (2017)
I have spells of flitting in and out of listening to Depeche Mode. For me, they weren't much good until the pairing of 'Violator' and 'Songs Of Faith And Devotion'... and then I just wandered off until 'Exciter' and and hadn't though much about them since, but this caught my ear. Its a good album, but I do find the anti-establishment theme and trying to whip up support for a revolution slightly comical. Only because its Depeche Mode, who are a bit silly. Best description of them I ever heard was 'Goth music for Mondeo drivers', and that holds true here.

Pulled Apart By Horses - 'The Haze' (2017)
I had to ask a music shop bod who this was playing over the PA, as it sounded familar but I couldn't put my finger on it. And was then a bit embarrassed to be told it was PABH, who I like. I think because their last outing was a bit low key by their standards, this caught me off-guard. Its not quite back to the full throttle ramalama of their earlier stuff, but a nice fuzzed-up middle ground.

The Charm The Fury - 'The Sick, Dumb & Happy' (2017)
Neat crunchy sounding metal from Amsterdam. Very heavy, but with plenty of hooks and melody. The album could have done with peppering the singles out a little more evenly, as the back half of the album is a bit forgettable, but otherwise this is pretty mega.

And because there seems to be a metric tonne of these everywhere, I picked up....

Top Of The Pops 1990 - 1994
Funny that you forget mainstream pop of this era was a right old mish-mash of stuff. Hi-NRG dance tunes, Gangsta rap, boy bands (Let Loose!) and hairy arsed rock balladry that sounds out of place in the day-glo era of the early '90s. Minus points for including the B-52s 'Love Shack' (from 1989) , not including Bryan Adams 'Everything I Do (I do it for you)' and the inclusion of Heaven 17s 1993 remixed and re-released 'Temptation' (couldn't they have picked something else?).

Top Of The Pops - 1985 - 1989
The third disc in this set is brilliant - so much overwrought power balladry in one place!This is where all those 'drivetime' albums originate!Don't think there was any need to include two Robert Palmer songs though. Although why didn't they pick 'Americanos' for Holly Johnson, rather than the forgettable 'Love Train' ? Funny business, compilations....

Last edited by Skyquake87; 2017-03-31 at 06:52 PM.
Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-03, 08:09 PM   #165
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Lets have a look at what finds I've plucked from the bins of thatsentertainment!

Chris Isaak 'Wicked Game' (1991)
I've got a lot of time for Chris Isaak, his mournful crooning and rock-a-billy tendencies struck a chord and he's always good value when interviewed. This then timely 'greatest hits' put him well and truly on the map. Good, solid hits package, although there's not much variety, truth be told.

Slowdive 'Just For A Day' (1992)
Wallflower indie-rock with not as much woozy feedback as you'd expect from one of the lynchpins of the whole 'Shoegaze' thing. Slightly disappointing.

Peter Gabriel 'US' (1992)
Probably scoffed at by Genesis fans and types who like Gabriel's later 'world music' phase, this great glorious gob of chart hogging POP is fantastic. Just don't watch the slightly creepy CGI videos that accompanied the singles. They're weird and not in a sort of good-weird way.

Swervedriver 'Mezcal Head' (1993)

Love Swervedriver. Noisy, loud and one of the bands that made indie music interesting before Britpop came along and spoilt it for everyone. Mezcal Head is a bit patchy as an album, but its still worth the effort for 'Duel' , 'Last Train To Satansville' and 'Girl On A Motorbike'.

Credit To The Nation 'Take Dis' (1993)
Fab hip-hop album (albeit slightly US-flavoured) with Nirvana sampling 'Call It What You Want' as an obvious touch stone.

Fun-Da-Mental 'Seize The Time' (1994)
Fantastic double album and one of the best British hip-hop records ever. I love the mix of east/west sounds and polemic that underpins this record. Great stuff.

Mazzy Star 'So Tonight That I Might See' (1993)
Debut 'She Hangs Brightly' gets all the praise and critical acclaim, but this with the incredible 'Into Dust' is easily the better of their early releases for my money. The title track is ace too. Although I still can't listen to 'Fade Into You' with a straight face, thanks to its comical use in a fight scene in, er, Starship Troopers.

Old 2017-06-25, 08:56 PM   #166
HotShot81
Triple Changer

Canada, Land of Ice and Snow
Default Lastest CD Purchase

Yes, some of us still buy CDs, and I figured why not start a Latest CD Purchase threat.

Band: Linkin Park
CD: One More Light

Eagerly awaiting Stan Bush's new CD due out in late 2017.

HotShot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-25, 09:30 PM   #167
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Because there's already a big "latest music purchases" thread?

Dead Can Dance - The Serpent's Egg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1J6TFHCevg

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-02, 11:20 AM   #168
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Circa Waves 'Different Creatures' (2017)
Fantastic jolly indie riffarama! Proof that there's still some life in guitar-pop and it doesn't all have to be the morose noodlings of the XX or Bastille. Hooray!

Royal Thunder 'Wick' (2017)
Mightily heavy swampy blues-metal. Love this. Got to be one of the metal albums of the year. It's f**king awesome, feels like the soundtrack to some film that's got that heavy saturation going on and is about a bunch of badasses up to no good.

Blood Command 'Cult Drugs' (2017)
Who knew Norweigan electro-punk could be so good? I'm left cold by a lot of the stuff you get at Slam Dunk, all that perennial uplifiting two-tone take on punk that the Americans seem to churn out from some factory in southern California. So it's great to have a nice antidote to all that, with this icy and zappy sounding lot.

Ho99o9 'United States of Horror' (2017)
These rapscallions with their mix of punk and hip-hop are definitely onto something. It's not quite there yet, but there's some cool stuff going on and I like their message of challenging the society we live in today, without going full on Public Enemy. It's like those pricks you see dress up in Guy Fawkes masks spouting 'TRUTH' if they had half a clue.

Stormzy 'Gang Signs & Prayer' (2017)
Rather ace debut from the current darling of Grime. Like a lot of his ilk, it'll be interesting to see if he retains his street smarts, all we he too struggle to remain 'authentic' in the glare of the mainstream? For now, we have this, a blunt set of tunes with some of the smartest rhymes around.

While She Sleeps 'You Are We' (2017)
Staking their claim for independence and self-control with their most accessible album to date. It's a bit bubblegum in places, and there's the clear influence of Architects on this outing, but its easily their most accomplished album to date and one of my favourites so far this year.

Royal Blood 'How Did We Get So Dark?' (2017)
Second album that does the same as the first - awesome rock 'n' roll that's over a bit too quickly. There's nothing in the way of pushing their sound on, or development, but honestly, I don't care. They do good tunes, these boys and that's more than enough.

Old 2017-09-09, 05:26 PM   #169
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Madness 'Absolutely' (1980)
Superb second album from the Los Palmas 7. As ever, its the album tracks that really show how great Madness are. The jolly singles are fun, but there's more interesting stuff to be found in the likes of 'Shadow Of Fear', 'Disappear' and 'In The Rain'. This fancy deluxe 2CD release also packs in 7 bonus tracks (B-Sides and single versions), plus the accompanying videos for the 3 singles ('Baggy Trousers', 'Embarrassment', 'The Return Of The Los Palmas 7') and a splendid live show from Hammersmith Odeon from 23/12/80. Being recorded by the BBC, the sound is fantastic and would make for a good release on its own merits.

Adam And The Ants 'Kings Of The Wild Frontier' (1980)
My 94th purchase of this album, here with the B-Sides from the singles, four demos and two rough cuts. This is easily Adam And The Ants' best album, so is deserving of the deluxe treatment, it's just a shame they've chucked in a live show that whilst, decent, feels like it's been recorded through Adam's mic and the rest of the band feel a bit squeezed out in the sound.

Alien Sex Fiend : Original Albums Collection (2015) 'Who's Been Sleeping In My Brain?' (1983)/ 'Acid Bath' (1984)/ 'Maximum Security' (1985)/ 'IT' (1986)
I've been after picking up Alien Sex Fiend's back catalogue for years now, having owned various 12" singles and a best-of from 1995 and found the easiest way is to go for this box-set (the first of two). Each album comes with some remixes, b-sides and - cheeringly - the Peel Sessions done at the time. Best of all, by getting this direct from the band, the sex came signed by Nik Fiend and Mrs Fiend

Of the four albums, 'IT' is definitely my favourite - it's a creepy, brooding piece of work which irons out some of the more indulgent, almost prog stylings of 'Maximum Security' (and album which does go on a bit). Debut 'WBSIMB?' is an exciting clatter of ideas and enthusiasm which sets out ASF's stall (its a weird stall, full of spoiled meat and objects at once strange and familiar) and 'Acid Bath' does more of the same.

Old 2017-10-06, 08:53 PM   #170
HotShot81
Triple Changer

Canada, Land of Ice and Snow

I got Change The World By Stan Bush.

This is where it becomes a too cool moment. I ordered it off his website directly, guess who signed the waybill and sent it?

Not as good as a signed copy, but still a cool moment!

HotShot81 is offline   Reply With Quote