View Single Post
Old 2016-03-09, 05:37 PM   #18
Patapsco
Sod. Off

right then, how to make sense of More Than Meets The Eye 50 or as I am going to call it "How To Enrage An Easily Enraged Fandom And Possibly Write Myself Into A Corner" because after the revelation about halfway through the fandom are going to go into a apoplectic rage and, well, it's the DJD innit?

First up, the back-up strip is what Roberts does really well: framing a story as one thing, before pulling the rug out from under you and turning it into something else. It reads like a straight up ghost story, as well as filling in a few timely blanks from previous issues including the other half of the conversation Prowl had with persons unknown all the way back in issue one. Course, with the reveal that the crew aren't ghosts and in fact using the remnants of Brainstorm's experiments to go back into the past it's actually a little bit emotional. Then of course Getaway shows up going back in time himself which brings about more questions than answers. Still, it's fill of plenty of "aww" moments which after the frankly grim ending to the main strip is needed.

So to the main event and even when now there's plenty of character building, red herrings and dense narrative bombshells that it can occasionally become a tad overwhelming as all these snippets of this and that and twists and turns bombard you at every turn.

The message at the start sounds grim and is undoubtably grim but who's sending the message? Knowing what we know at the end it's supposed to be the DJD but why does Red Alert recognise the gun pointed at Nightbeat's head? Is Magnus revealing that he let his guard down regret about the mutiny or a possible switch sides by Megatron? It's definitely deliberate, but it's quite telling who *doesn't* send a message as opposed to who does.

Megatron again gets his moments in the sun, from giving the order for the Autobots to roll out, to lashing out at Minimus to, and this is a tad disturbing, getting a bit irate that the crew have decided to help organics rather than mechanicals. Roberts, again, has done a magnificent job of giving *just* enough doubt as to Megatron's true intentions - does he really still believe organic life is below him, when a while later he says he's never been happier?

Of course the big reveal was that Getaway is not only free but has managed to turn practically the entire crew over to his way of thinking, and essentially sent Rodimus and chums to their deaths. And this was, I have to say, absolutely ******* brilliant storytelling from the second he appeared on the communicator screen to the second he hung up. Absolutely magnificent because Getaway's right. He's very bloody right.

When he gets going on Megatron, we as readers should be saying "well he does have a bloody good point" because he does. Megatron was a genocidal maniac and his punishment is to swan about having adventures! What does that say to the memories of the billions of Cybertronians he killed? The hundreds of billions of others he massacred? They don't matter? Also, what the hell does it say about Optimus and his wishy washy "everyone can be redeemed" bullshit? Has Getaway just signed his own death warrant and that of the remaining crew by openly defying Optimus' orders as well as sending two dozen Autobots to their deaths (more on that later).

If Getaway had finished there, I would have been sated but then he rounded on Rodimus and I'm not going to lie, I read it and nodded my head as I did. Rodimus is a terrible captain, the entire quest has been about him, and his own stupid ego got a lot of bots killed when Overlord went on his rampage.

Of course, I was right with Getaway and until he partially revealed that he'd set the DJD on them at which point he went from "Autobot airing very real and factual problems with the command of the ship" to "bastard has to die" and it was brilliant. He's now the best bad guy in both books and possibly the best bad guy of the whole series because like all the best villains, because what they think they're doing is right they can justify their actions. In Getaway's case, he doesn't need to justify it because he, and everyone else, knows that Megatron has to die and Rodimus is a shit captain.

So, there are now a massive string of unanswered questions left, but the main one has to be: How is Roberts going to extricate this without the ending feeling cheap? I remember watching something, or maybe reading something, whereby the villains became so much more powerful that there was never ever going to be a satisfactory resolution without it feeling like a cop out. And I don't want a cop out. But the DJD are able to slaughter an entire alternate Lost Light crew by themselves, but now they have Deathsaurus and his crew for back-up AND they're only going up against about 20 or so Autobots. This is Kate Winslet looking at the blonde lady hanging off the stern of Titanic in that movie - there's no way the blonde is going to survive

Other questions/theory/speculation are purely that:

- What do Bluestreak, Riptide and Mainframe feel about Getaway setting the DJD on their friends, seeing as they've seen what they can do close up?
- Does Getaway really believe that the DJD will just execute Megatron and leave the remaining Autobots alive?
- Will we find out if Tarn is roller or my "way out of left field" suggestion of Dominus Ambus?
- Will Megatron switch back to the Decepticons just to save the crew?
- Will someone sacrifice themselves to give Megatron some proper fuel so he can go down fighting?
- Was that Mainframe having second thoughts?
- Are any of the crew still on the Lost Light aware of what Getaway's done?
- Now that the gear symbol is confirmed as a symbol of the Knights, will the Scavengers finally join up with a purged Lost Light?
- Are the rest of the Lost Light-ers performing a very long con on Getaway, including Atomiser?

Patapsco is offline   Reply With Quote