View Single Post
Old 2006-04-23, 12:57 AM   #214
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
This is parrt of my problem... thus far O'Potato has been around to go "Wow, Avril, you're nucking futs!" while Jimmy's been around to... Erm, well, I'm pretty sure he had a purpose beyond a single Sparkplug homage scene. Moderately sure. He might have. The thing is, the time to give us background on these was during #0-4.
Would've felt like human-stuffing, and we did get backgrounds... Jimmy's was just particularly glib. "I'm a born natural when it comes to mechanics. Ask someone else now." Anyway, if the characters are going to recur, some backstory would be nice and they're going to have to explain how the characters can disappear from their lives for an extended length of time. (And also not be targeted for revenge/murder by the Decepticons.) This'd all be after #6, really.

Quote:
Well, to actively dislike the Avengers is your perogative, but you can't deny it happens
We're talking at cross-purposes slightly. Most titles that haven't embraced the Ultimatization process don't give much fleshing out to characters (especially DC figureheads) and those that do tend to reduce it to self-aware posturing such as the Ultimates discussion about which actors would play them in movies, when Fury in particular has obviously been done from reference photos.

Avengers (which I can only take your word for -- The Ultimates is the only time the characters have grabbed me), X-Factor and StormWatch are exceptions to a rule. The rule with Marvel apparently now being "Nike gave us lots of money. Lots of our characters like Nike. The others we killed (but they'll be back next issue.) Cha-cha-cha."

Quote:
Well, if we're going by titles, I did expect a few Transformers.
And they're there, with an emphasis on the 'transform' part. Some people apparently had difficulty reading the speech balloons that weren't next to a robot head, or assumed the humans were still talking, but there've definitely been Transformers.

Quote:
we've had four issues to build up Ratchet's character and we're still left wondering whether he actually has a clue what he's doing.
He clearly doesn't and is hoofing it.

Quote:
was the gap ever mentioned exlpictly in the kids show?
In the pilot, IIRC, and mentions of Cybertronian past as "millions of years ago".

State Games mentions "natural death" (whatever exactly that involves) as having been unknown for at least thousands of years. TMUK concocted the idea of circuit-burn (a point of no return beyond which parts couldn't simply be augmented or replaced, and the only way around would be to personality copy -- eg, Nightbeat -- which seems something TFs are socially resistant to, probably with a view to clear demarcation between AI and robots accorded citizenship.)

For all their adaptability, TFs are in many ways unchanging -- mostly as a matter of authorial convenience, but also through stagnation. I'd like to see a few treaties in place, which both sides are surreptitiously and not-so-subtly cheating against like mad. It might help to explain how populations and the planet have lasted. For that matter, the war may be relatively young, or cyclic, or large parts of Cybertron may actually be settled and defended.

Quote:
it's actually pretty hard to believe that the tech stood still long enough in a war that the Ark/"Nemesis" crew weren't utterly obsolete by the time they woke up...
Yup. Although they were, I think, to a large extent. Advanced had been made, but the population of Cybertron had fallen and there wasn't the energy to implement tech on a large scale. Except the space bridge, that gaping flaw/convenience in the plot structure...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote