View Single Post
Old 2006-04-21, 07:57 PM   #205
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
It just feels too much like the joke came first, and everything else later. More time seems to have gone on thinking up a comedy surname (doubtless it's Furman's ker-azy take on none of the humans in TF history having sensible names
Well, as long as he sticks to referring to Hunter as Hunter for the most part.

It would be nice to get commensurate flashbacks occasionally for Hunter/Jimmy, as they're both kind of orbiting Verity at the moment.

Quote:
I'd seriously say you've been reading the wrong comics... I could sit down and research that, but runs like Peter David on X-Factor and Kurt Busiek on Avengers are full of that stuff.
I'd have to get past actively disliking the Avengers, but Peter David is indeed a strong (if rare) exception to the rule. Most generally seem as subtle as Robbie Morrison on The Authority.

Quote:
I'd agree... I think the profiles did this in places, but it's kinda hard to write in a non-prose story without having characters just spouting "I like <stuff>" statements for no readily apparent reason. It's very difficult to do for any characters without being leaden, and with TFs it'd be even harder as we can't see their bookshelves or whatever.
Very. And that's a notable gap, really -- TFs generally having no media, no recreation (possible exception for inventors such as Wheeljack or scientists such as Perceptor) except for dumb references to hunting turbo-foxes or similar.

Quote:
The basic problem with you and me debating this is that if Infiltration carries on as it's been going you'll probably be quite happy, and I won't be
Mmm. For the remainder of this arc, at least. Subtitle a book Infiltration and you expect a cold war; subtitle it Escalation and more characters|panels|action are expected.

Quote:
Do we know he's dead/deactivated, though? Personally, I think in some ways it'd be great if he was... In some ways, the problem with with Transformers in a battle is that they're always shown to be hard to kill (I suppose, aside from the outside economical pressure, to justify how a war can last millions of years). While I don't really want them to be BIG HUMANS or anything, the idea that they can be killed with relative ease by a similar-bracket TF would be a nice idea. The problem otherwise is that they survive all kinds of crap, and then when the Underbase/Movie turns up, it feels totally artificial.
Indeed... on one hand, Ratchet has probably made one or two stupid mistakes in the past, but he may equally not have encountered triple-changers except in reports and Autobot intelligence profiles.

It remains to be seen if the war has been active for millions of years, since they didn't crash four ago. I'd think their functional immortality (barring massive trauma) is something Furman probably won't mess with, but the race may have been at relative peace until a few centuries ago, say.

Agreed that Ratchet is really best candidate, but reclamation by human tech scavengers seems more likely than permanent deactivation.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote