TFARCHIVE

TFARCHIVE (http://tfarchive.com/community/index.php)
-   New Comics (http://tfarchive.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   MtMtE49: Speak, Memory Part 2 (http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=54560)

Patapsco 2016-01-30 09:23 PM

MtMtE49: Speak, Memory Part 2
 
http://i.imgur.com/BfSoWg9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/G9lx0ma.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JGV45Te.jpg

So, to quantify everything here - this is the forth time that something catastrophic has happened to the crew which has lead to their disappearance or incapacity (Spotlight: Trailcutter, slaughterhouse, Elegant Chaos); the fourth time that an unspeakable evil has stalked the corridors of the ship (Overlord, the DJD, the Sparkeater). Plus Tailgate is up and around as if it ain't no thing further ruining whatever leftover emotions were left after number 47. To sum this preview up in .gif form

http://i.imgur.com/epY8QqY.gif

Unicron 2016-01-30 10:19 PM

Is that a brain module on the floor?

Patapsco 2016-01-30 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicron (Post 755999)
Is that a brain module on the floor?

That was my first thought too but, as has been shown time and time again, Tailgate wouldn't recognise a brain on account of him not actually owning one

Denyer 2016-01-31 12:06 AM

Don't have a problem with this... not particularly looking forward to present-day DJD returning (unless this is a final outing for them) or the prospect of crap seeping over from ex-RID with the "All Hail Optimus" storyline that's being touted.

Patapsco 2016-01-31 12:20 PM

The DJD thing is awfully backed into a corner and there's seemingly no resolution that will leave either readers or Hasbro satisfied. If they kill Megatron, then what? If they in turn get killed, how do they manage it seeing as the five of them pretty handily slaughtered the alt-LL crew without breaking a sweat, and now they have Deathsaurus and his merry band of Breastforce miscreants with him.

As for this, I *actually* like Sunder. I just really don't care for Rung, or Skids or Tailgate or Froid. I think all of their "arcs" are hopefully done and some of the other 190-odd members of the crew can get some face time

Also, I hope that Roberts decides that Dominus Ambus should be Tarn and not Roller. That would redeem this sorry arc in my opinion

Patapsco 2016-02-10 10:51 AM

I think I need to re-read this one but oh this is so much better than the shower that was the last one. Don't really like Tailgate as a new outlier, but Rung resigning is great character development, as is Megatron's stare down with Sunder and refusing to shoot him. I swear, Megatron is to Roberts what Grimlock was to Furman.

Oh and Tarn got to get got. No reveal as to who he actually is but man, that last panel was brutal in the extreme. No wonder Skids forgot about it...

inflatable dalek 2016-02-10 09:14 PM

Well that was more like it! Mainly because it pretty much totally ignored the stuff I didn't like about the last issue (though dense as I was I just assumed Getaway had been strung up like that by Sunder. It was only reading the wiki synopsis that made me realise the Autobots had done that to him to stop him escaping. Sensible, but boy Brainstorm really did get let off lightly didn't he?).

As noted the "Thing stalks the ship" plot has been done before, but the fantastic dark art and the fact it was mostly not an action piece but a tension building exercise made it feel just different enough. And Sunder's ripping people apart gimmick was tremendous fun (though presumably non-lethal if Rodimus got better?).

Highlight of the present day scenes was everything to do with Megatron. Yes we're obviously heading for his words to be badly undermined very soon, but there was still power to his refusal to use a gun. Great scene with Rung as well, even if I was shouting "For God's sake man, he's a terrible psychiatrist who was struck off for a reason, let him go!".

The shame here was Rung's ships didn't get to be what wrapped Sunder up, I'm sure super Tailgate will have signifigance down the line, but it would have been more dramatically pleasing here to have the character most connected to this plot get to resolve it.

Those Skids flashbacks... blimey. I don't think anyone was expecting this to be the reveal of who Tarn reeeaaaaaaaaaaalllllly is. Instead it suddenly turns into a story of the guy who built the showers at the Nazi death camps. A bait and switch that resulted in some extraordinarily powerful imagery, and probably the highlight of the three parter.

I'm still not entirely sure what to make of this story overall (needs a reread), but as an issue this pretty much hit all the right, bloody and dark notes.

Patapsco 2016-02-10 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inflatable dalek (Post 756179)
Those Skids flashbacks... blimey. I don't think anyone was expecting this to be the reveal of who Tarn reeeaaaaaaaaaaalllllly is. Instead it suddenly turns into a story of the guy who built the showers at the Nazi death camps. A bait and switch that resulted in some extraordinarily powerful imagery, and probably the highlight of the three parter.

bait and switch is usually incredibly bad, and all the clues seemed to be leading to one of two conclusions: who 'Tarn' really is and what did Skids do to Quark. And yeah, I didn't see what he actually did coming at all so I have to give kudos to Roberts for doing it. Another thing - I guess now Chromedome and 'Tarn' are the only ones who know what Skids actually did? I presume with the DJD taking centre stage for issue 50 onwards that it's going to come up there, presumably with Brainstorm (where's he been?) finding out.

I didn't initially realise what they did to Getaway but assumed they'd just ripped out his voicebox and totally missed the missing limbs. And the Tailgate thing: well his spark was juiced by a combo of Cyclonus own spark and his Great Sword, no? Which makes, I'd presume, Cyclonus some sort of outlier if it works like that?

inflatable dalek 2016-02-12 03:52 PM

Has the acronym based thread title confused everyone? I expected Knightdramon would be bemoaning the lack of the Tarn reveal and Warcry would be lording it up over Skids by now.

It seems the Getaway thing has been rather controversial as people don't like the idea of doing that to a prisoner (we are talking about the Autobots though, whose idea of a prison is to remove the convicts soul and put it in a box). Roberts has talked more about this HERE

Patapsco 2016-02-12 05:28 PM

I'm genuinely surprised that more people were outraged that essentially a PUA got thrown in prison than, I dunno, Cybertronian Auschwitz. And that Roberts has had to, for the second time in four issues, had to issue an explanation of his thinking to the screaming babies that form a portion of the "fandom"

Knightdramon 2016-02-13 10:45 AM

I will admit to being a tad disappointed with the issue. I have read it around 4 times by now just to see if my opinion would change.

Besides being the 3rd or 4th time that something evil is lurking the corridors on the LL, and the 3rd time in S2 at least that a horror setting is up [biggest fan of horror films in the room mates, but not so frequently!], there's something missing from the overall story that left me a bit disinterested.

It felt...too short? Way, way too short? 2 rooms short? Because the story just goes from bay hangar to prison to bay hangar again, in the span of a few pages, and that's where it ends.

Nice "cop-out" with Getaway's "injuries". I must admit that I must be the only person that actually likes the guy anymore :lol: His precision injuries are horrific but make perfect sense considering his skill set. Wonder what happened to Atomizer.

Can't understand what is up with Froid---am I the only one that thought that his whole role in this issue made no damn sense? Why oh why take out the bar locks AND the handcuffs of the villain willingly, then run around with the heroes?

Tailgate's newfound powers don't make much sense but I'll bite, as it's probably the continuation of the experiments that Sentinel did in the past, only this time they're done right.

Loving Megatron's development, although he could not have picked a worse moment to undergo that. I do find it interesting that he repeats the exact same mistake from 4 million years ago---just taking it to the extremes. If it's not unrestrained violence and pre-emptive aggressiveness, it's pre-emptive pacifism. It's interesting that he is reverting, or has reverted to his pre-war stance though.

On Skids and Tarn, the whole flashback was underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, it is horrific and despicable, but after so much gore and punishment and psychological torment and and and, this seems like a relatively tame thing in comparison.

Although I will recognize that it's not the actual "crime" itself that Skids is upset about, it's his guilt over it. This is probably a fan obsessing over it in his head for years, but it would have been...more suitable, if you will, that Skids was actually the undercover Vos, having to massacre bots like that, that pushed him over the edge, set up as an undercover agent by Prowl.

On Tarn, again, fan with expectations, but this is yet another moment of "ohhhh maybe...? nah no". I still maintain he is Roller but Skid's line of "I wonder what goes on behind his mask" had me double-guessing myself for a moment. Blacked out moments aside, I was under the impression that Skids -did- recognize him last issue, but there was surprisingly little angst and "how could you do this".

I do like Tarn's "younger" and more elegant design, and it looks like he hasn't developed his transformation craving at that point. It also looks like the DJD are not formed yet at that point in time [which would make it take place before SL: Thundercracker].

He appears "stable" at that point, what with no addiction yet and no [on screen] second thoughts and guilt. I wonder if there's any significance with the Miner bodies he has strung up his wall...

Denyer 2016-02-13 10:54 AM

Intriguing comment here;

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...t13348827.html

Quote:

there are two publishers publishing IDW TF comic in China, and each version has roughly 70000 copies per issue

inflatable dalek 2016-02-13 11:31 AM

On the DJD, I assumed this was before he joined them (if not before they existed), hence his name being blocked out last issue, he hadn't assumed the mantle of Tarn yet. Though I'll admit to having forgotten to check if anyone calls him by name in flashback here so I may be wrong...

I think I was the only other person to care enough about Atomiser to ask. According to James he's alive and locked up elsewhere.

And as a mature man, I won't do a joke about where they shoved the bow.

Patapsco 2016-02-13 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inflatable dalek (Post 756234)
On the DJD, I assumed this was before he joined them (if not before they existed), hence his name being blocked out last issue, he hadn't assumed the mantle of Tarn yet. Though I'll admit to having forgotten to check if anyone calls him by name in flashback here so I may be wrong...

I think I was the only other person to care enough about Atomiser to ask. According to James he's alive and locked up elsewhere.

And as a mature man, I won't do a joke about where they shoved the bow.

this is the panel in question. Skids fills in the blanks from the second sentence of the last bubble. From this we can make an educated guess that he recognises the commandant from his voice, but he doesn't bring it up again

http://i.imgur.com/QgCZkTb.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightdramon (Post 756231)
I do like Tarn's "younger" and more elegant design, and it looks like he hasn't developed his transformation craving at that point. It also looks like the DJD are not formed yet at that point in time [which would make it take place before SL: Thundercracker].

he definitely goes from vehicle mode to bot when Skids is first shown fixing the gas chamber, I mean teleportation chamber

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denyer (Post 756232)

70,000????? I don't think either will be getting cancelled any time soon then?

Death's Head 2016-02-13 07:29 PM

I'm not sure why but I found that final panel utterly horrifying and depressing. I'd been drinking, admittedly, but I just stared and re-read that final epilogue over and over for about fifteen minutes. It sickened me.

I'm not normally that sensitive!

However, I am capable of understanding when a writer wants me to feel uncomfortable. For instance, with Getaway's predicament - you're absolutely supposed to go whoa, hold on a mo, that's nasty... Of course, as pandagork pointed out, some members of our fandom have a problem with ambiguity* of any kind and James basically had to spell it out in tweets, but ho-hum. I must admit, I was very surprised at the 'controversy' such as it was.

*This is the fandom, remember, that interpreted the line in Beast Wars, "Welcome to the dark side", as referring to the ship rather than just being, you know, something bad people say.

Knightdramon 2016-02-13 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death's Head (Post 756246)
*This is the fandom, remember, that interpreted the line in Beast Wars, "Welcome to the dark side", as referring to the ship rather than just being, you know, something bad people say.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: had almost forgotten how retarded parts of this fandom can be.

Patapsco 2016-02-13 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightdramon (Post 756248)
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: had almost forgotten how retarded parts of this fandom can be.

the same fandom that, when reading in comic the moral dilemma of selling a brain damaged Grimlock for cash batted no eyelids, but drove Roberts off twitter for a month when he dared ask the same question and wanted a vote on it because then it was offensive to the disabled

Auntie Slag 2016-02-14 10:31 AM

So with Ratchet and First Aid gone, and Ambulon and that medical droid dead, who are the medical geniuses who will be putting Thunderclash, Froid et al together again? Was the implication that the same happened to Rodimus too? And there's still someone technical enough on board to disable Getaway like that, too.

Yeah that final scene was pretty brutal. Skids is the (part) architect of the Smelting Pools, great reference to a story nearly 30 years old, great that its an Autobot that is the cause of this. And the artist really went to town on that final image. Also the Thunderclash splitting in half scene reminded me strongly of a Thunderclash centric scene in Robert's Eugene's novel.

I liked Skid's keenness on the job. He just loves to be busy. Nice contrast also to 30 years ago where you had a neutral who was forced into creating the Decepticon Space Bridge, and here you have an Autobot who was almost happy to do it. And now they're both spanners.

Knightdramon 2016-02-14 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Slag (Post 756252)
So with Ratchet and First Aid gone, and Ambulon and that medical droid dead, who are the medical geniuses who will be putting Thunderclash, Froid et al together again? Was the implication that the same happened to Rodimus too? And there's still someone technical enough on board to disable Getaway like that, too.

Yeah that final scene was pretty brutal. Skids is the (part) architect of the Smelting Pools, great reference to a story nearly 30 years old, great that its an Autobot that is the cause of this. And the artist really went to town on that final image. Also the Thunderclash splitting in half scene reminded me strongly of a Thunderclash centric scene in Robert's Eugene's novel.

I liked Skid's keenness on the job. He just loves to be busy. Nice contrast also to 30 years ago where you had a neutral who was forced into creating the Decepticon Space Bridge, and here you have an Autobot who was almost happy to do it. And now they're both spanners.

The medical officer on board is Velocity right now [picked up from Thunderclash's crew in the space barnacles two-parter].

Very true on Tarn, I don't think anybody refers to him by name in the prison. I might be wrong but I think JR did mention that he's the first [and only] Tarn so far?

Death's Head 2016-02-14 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Slag (Post 756252)
So with Ratchet and First Aid gone, and Ambulon and that medical droid dead, who are the medical geniuses who will be putting Thunderclash, Froid et al together again? Was the implication that the same happened to Rodimus too? And there's still someone technical enough on board to disable Getaway like that, too.

That's what's her name, Velocity. And I did enjoy how Rodimus' reaction to being scrunched up into a ball was to basically crack on as normal.

Quote:

Also the Thunderclash splitting in half scene reminded me strongly of a Thunderclash centric scene in Robert's Eugene's novel.
Ooh, yes. Hopefully that clumsy bastard Ultra Magnus will keep his hands well away!

Quote:

the same fandom that, when reading in comic the moral dilemma of selling a brain damaged Grimlock for cash batted no eyelids, but drove Roberts off twitter for a month when he dared ask the same question and wanted a vote on it because then it was offensive to the disabled
It's this idea that if a character performs an action, then it must follow that the writer then approves of that action that gets me - what boring bloody fiction we'd end up with! I take solace in the fact that it must be a (very) vocal minority who get upset about things like this - the vast majority of people who read the comic are, I hope, capable of actually reading.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.